Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter care in zone 8/9

Posted by Ilovetropicals 8b-9a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 22:12

Here, it almost never drops below 20 and if it does it bottoms out at 18 or so for an hour or two. I really would prefer to not cut back my brug to give it the earliest bloom possible next year. is this possible? I'm in Portland Oregon and I've never seen one overwintered outside before. However from what I've read they are hardy here. is it possible to do something different to prevent me from having to cut it back? it's a Charles Grimaldi, which I've also read to be one of the hardiest. I always forget about them in my garage so if this is possible this would be best. the main problem here in the winter is rot, not cold. if I place things right, I can grow oleanders, olives, grevilleas, agave Americana, and opuntia microdasys. I'm lucky to have a south facing slope. I have planted mine under a tree towards the top of the slope, so it's in one of the warmest possible microclimates.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter care in zone 8/9

I think I may have commented on the last thread you posted, but will give another try with this one. Brugs can be hardy under conditions that you describe (much the same as I have here in North Texas), but not if you let the entire plant freeze. Case in point...... we had an early freeze last year (October, to be exact) and I had not moved any of my container brugs inside nor cut back the inground ones. Some of the container ones did not survive this early freeze and the cuttings from the inground ones did not root as well as they have in the past. All of this to advise you to cut it back...........it will still give you lots of blooms as they bloom best when the weather cools off in the fall, but if you want early blooms, then I would advise a container brug.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here