Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fool4flowers

Off topic amazing plant I saw

fool4flowers
13 years ago

I saw the craziest looking plant yesterday on the way to the lake. It looked like some sort of yucca but had incredible turquoise blue tulip shaped flowers. I almost fell out the truck window, lol. I had glimpsed the flowers briefly one time last year but never saw them again and thought they were fake since they were out in near desert conditions with deer everywhere until I saw it again. I looked it up and this is the only thing I found. Didn't get a good look at the stalk but the flower color is so unique and its exactly like this. Could it be this? There is a house way off the road there and this is on the edge on their yard but so far away it would have to be living pretty much on its own. It looked like a clump of them. I am stopping next time we go out there if I have to jump out of a moving truck to get a better look, lol. They look like tulip shaped easter eggs, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turquoise Puya

Comments (12)

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

What an awesome looking plant!!!
    Thanks for posting that Kristy.

Karen

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't worry. I will do my best to meet the owners and make friends, lol. Maybe if nothing else they will allow me to collect seeds.

• marquest
    13 years ago

You have to stop. Take bribes....LOL I have never seen anything that pretty.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Aren't they beautiful. I have a few, including P. berteroniana (turquoise) and dyckioides (pink), but they are a loooooong... way from blooming. I got one as a small plant and the others were started from seed about 4 years ago.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Wow, that is cool! Yah, I'd say you need to befriend those folks and get some seeds at the very least!

• figara
    13 years ago

Wow !! That's beautiful Kristy. Next time STOP and see what you can take home...

Another Wow ! for Karyn. Actually I shouldn't be surprised, Karyn you have a lot of unusual plants. How much long (it's been already 4y) it takes for them to bloom if you grow them from seeds?

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I'm sure it takes at least 10 years to reach flowering size. My 4 yr old ones are still quite small, in a 3" pot. I'll take a pic later. I'm not sure how old the one I bought as a plant is but it's not that big either, maybe triple the size of the seed grown ones.

Kristy you should ask for seeds. I think I had about a 50% germination rate. The seeds are tiny.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Kristy
    Where is it I wanna go look too?
    Is it close to me??
    stop and get me and I'll go with you to talk to them.
    pa

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Crap, I only got a glimpse of the flower color and shape as we drove past the other day and got excited when the only thing I found that was that color was the puya so I made John drive me all the way out there after work and they were fake, lol. I was thinking the tower of flowers didn't look the same but I thought it was multiple stalks just beginning to open or maybe a relative of it but the flowers were beautiful colored. Someone had cut them out of blue green styrofoam egg cartons and stuck them on the tips of all the yuccas, lol. I was so mad then I had to laugh, lol. Since I was out that way I stopped and saw Albert and Betty and saw a bunch of amazing real plants, lol. They have a beautiful place out there. Good to see them again. Of course I got a few samples to bring home so it gives me a good excuse to plant the new things and return their pots with some new kinds of plants for them as well, lol. I called a friend when I realized the plants were so close to where she stores her boat and she laughed and said they had stopped to get some too so I'm glad I'm not the only one that got fooled, lol. I'll post some pics later.

• figara
    13 years ago

Bummer!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Oh that stinks! Seed is available from Tradewinds. They actually have a few varieties and they're not expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Puya seeds

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They sure looked more amazing at about 40mph with the sun in my eyes, lol.

{{gwi:508900}}
    {{gwi:508901}}
    {{gwi:508902}}