Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcie_new

O.T Pride of barbedos mexican bird of paradise

marcie_new
13 years ago

here is a picture of my bird of paradise some one said its called something else anyone?

{{gwi:484716}}

{{gwi:484720}}

{{gwi:508799}}

Comments (12)

• marcie_new
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess I did something wrong!! so here we go again
    {{gwi:509194}}
    {{gwi:509195}}
    {{gwi:509196}}
    {{gwi:509197}}
    someone said this is called something else can't remember the name anyone?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

The latin name is Caesalpinia pulcherrima. Many people call it Mexican Bird of Paradise also, but there are several different plants that are called the same common name.

It's beautiful and I bet you love it!

I can't wait for mine to start blooming. I'm so proud that it overwintered outside (with lots of mulch) since our winter was much harsher than normal.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Marcie, you didn't do anything wrong. I think it's photobucket acting up again. I have a small plant of that mex. bird of paradise and hope it blooms at some point. Growing up in AZ, these were like weeds, and now they sell them here for $$!

Pretty hibiscus, but what is the middle pix?

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Marcie, those are beautiful. Mine have not bloomed yet but your pictures sure help. I thought the cold killed mine too and they were slow to come back.

You might be thinking of the difference between Mexican Bird of Paradise and Pride of Barbados. They look very similar, but are slightly different plants that are often called the same. The Mexican Bird of Paradise is Caesalpinia Mexicana and the Pride of Barbados is Caesalpinia Pulcherrima. Yours look like Pride of Barbados with the red/yellow flower.

If you scroll down to the Q&A on the attached link, Jerry Parsons explains the difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant answers

• marcie_new
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi the middle picture is from a ginger plant some one said. Here are the leaves that go with this plant
    {{gwi:509198}}
    {{gwi:484722}}
    {{gwi:509199}}

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Marcie, I think what you have is Caesalpinia gilliesii. I have a very small one and hope it's Caesalpinia pulcherrima, which is showier, but most likely have c. gilliesii. Pretty color ginger.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

eloise, I think you nailed it. That's a great plant and it's more cold hardy than some caesalpinia which we need here.

--Shirley

• chena
    13 years ago

Way to go Marcie!!! Everything looks Great!!! Love that Ginger!!!!

Kylie

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

You inspired me to replace my pride of barbados on the way home yesterday, lol. Happy to have it back. Its one of my favorites that the deer won't eat at the shop.

• marcie_new
    Original Author
    13 years ago

fool4flowers, I have some seeds if you like some also have a seedling-small tree- let me know and I can send it to you. Marcie

• marcie_new
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well guys I know its been a while but by the Grace of God I am still around, now I want to try and grow the other pride of barbedos the orange one for some reason Ican sprout the seeds but keeping the plant alive is a different story, Iwas looking up some other plant and low and behold my computer sent me here so here I will be every other night!! Thanks for reading Marcie

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

Marcie, my pride of Barbados hasn't bloom yet. It's in a pot so maybe I should plant on the ground.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County