Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
O.T Pride of barbedos mexican bird of paradise

Posted by marcie_new z8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 23:03

here is a picture of my bird of paradise some one said its called something else anyone?

Orange dble hibiscus
pink something
strawberry guava blooms

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: O.T Pride of barbedos mexican bird of paradise

I guess I did something wrong!! so here we go again

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
someone said this is called something else can't remember the name anyone?

o

The latin name is Caesalpinia pulcherrima. Many people call it Mexican Bird of Paradise also, but there are several different plants that are called the same common name.

It's beautiful and I bet you love it!

I can't wait for mine to start blooming. I'm so proud that it overwintered outside (with lots of mulch) since our winter was much harsher than normal.

o

Marcie, you didn't do anything wrong. I think it's photobucket acting up again. I have a small plant of that mex. bird of paradise and hope it blooms at some point. Growing up in AZ, these were like weeds, and now they sell them here for $$!

Pretty hibiscus, but what is the middle pix?

o

Marcie, those are beautiful. Mine have not bloomed yet but your pictures sure help. I thought the cold killed mine too and they were slow to come back.

You might be thinking of the difference between Mexican Bird of Paradise and Pride of Barbados. They look very similar, but are slightly different plants that are often called the same. The Mexican Bird of Paradise is Caesalpinia Mexicana and the Pride of Barbados is Caesalpinia Pulcherrima. Yours look like Pride of Barbados with the red/yellow flower.

If you scroll down to the Q&A on the attached link, Jerry Parsons explains the difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant answers

o

Hi the middle picture is from a ginger plant some one said. Here are the leaves that go with this plant

this is a bloom of? she was given to me last year and she came back after the freeze, any one NAME?
leaf to the pink flower leaves are large sort of like the banana tree or cannas
Photobucket

o

Marcie, I think what you have is Caesalpinia gilliesii. I have a very small one and hope it's Caesalpinia pulcherrima, which is showier, but most likely have c. gilliesii. Pretty color ginger.

o

eloise, I think you nailed it. That's a great plant and it's more cold hardy than some caesalpinia which we need here.

--Shirley

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 12:36

Way to go Marcie!!! Everything looks Great!!! Love that Ginger!!!!

Kylie

o

You inspired me to replace my pride of barbados on the way home yesterday, lol. Happy to have it back. Its one of my favorites that the deer won't eat at the shop.

o

fool4flowers, I have some seeds if you like some also have a seedling-small tree- let me know and I can send it to you. Marcie

o

Well guys I know its been a while but by the Grace of God I am still around, now I want to try and grow the other pride of barbedos the orange one for some reason Ican sprout the seeds but keeping the plant alive is a different story, Iwas looking up some other plant and low and behold my computer sent me here so here I will be every other night!! Thanks for reading Marcie

o

Marcie, my pride of Barbados hasn't bloom yet. It's in a pot so maybe I should plant on the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here