Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vissara

Fertlizer?

vissara
12 years ago

Planted established rooted cuttings outdoors about a month ago . Other than a brief cut-bug war all are still green and healthy but not growing. When should I start fertalizing these guys? and with what sort of mix?

Comments (7)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I begin feeding brugs at the beginning of the growing season. I start off with a balanced feed and switch to a bloom booster (1x/wk) as soon as a decent amount of foliage has grown. I also use micronutrients like Superthrive, kelp extract, foliar feeds, Protekt, CalMag Plus and whatever else might be around. Those are given less frequently then a fertilizer but brugs feed heavier then any other plants that I have. I also give seedlings and newly rooted brugs a diluted fertilizer along with some micronutrients.

• pagrdnr
    12 years ago

I like to fertilize early and often with a variety of things. I have actually been happy with the results I am getting this year. I have been using Miracle Grow liquafeed daily. It hooks directly to your hose and a bottle lasts me at least a few days. I also try to do the regular blue MG once a week. I have osmocote slow release in most of the pots when I pot them up. I also throw in the occasional compost tea, fish fertilizer, etc.... Whatever I have, I throw at them every once in a while so they get a variety of fertilizers. If one isn't giving them what they need, another will.

• vissara
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok, I gave them all tomato spikes and hit 'em with compost tea, hopefully they start growing.

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Is there such a thing as overfertilizing brugs? I know they like alot, but I would be concerned about too much of a good thing.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I'm sure it's possible but I think it would more likely be caused by improper dilution of the fertilizer then the frequency of feeding. I've fed 2x/wk (full strength) just to see what happens and noticed no ill effects. I didn't see any benefit either.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

There used to be a guy on here many years ago that grew really awesome brugs. He said he just threw handfulls of Miracle grow on them and watered it in.
    I've done that a several times since...out of laziness or because I was in a hurry. I did let the hose run on them awhile before so they weren't dry. It worked really well. I can only do it now after the chickens are locked up for the night so it has a chance to soak in before they come try to eat it but it does work. I have never been able to overfertilize a brug as long as it was well watered before I did it.
    Also, these were brugs grown in the ground not in pots :)

• fireflyintexas
    12 years ago

Fertilizer to a brug is like a mother's love......you can't get too much. ;)
    firefly

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH