Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izharhaq

Datura meteloides 'Evening Fragrance'....fragrant??

izharhaq
13 years ago

Has anyone grown these?? are they really fragrant?? because what i have studied over internet is that they are Datura inoxia (a plant which grows wild in our region and smells like stale roasted peanuts)

I got my seeds from Thompson and Morgan (they are growing quiet well), my friend insisted that they may be cultivated variety with true fragrant blooms..

Any views and replies will be very appreciable in this regard.

Izhar

Comments (13)

• threas
    13 years ago

HI IZHAR,
    The foliage and stems smell like peanut butter, but the flowers are usually beautifully fragrant! Good luck with yours!

Theresa

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Theresa,

Thank you for your reply! :)

The Datura which are growing wild here bear large pure white blooms with no scent at all whether its day or night, Daturas grow so well here but I haven't seen a single Brugmansia!!

Whats your opinion on commercially available seeds of Brugmansia suaveolens? do they worth growing?

Izhar

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump... please reply!! anybody!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I think that any of the brugs are worth growing from seed. You just have to buy the seed from a reliable source. You probably wouldn't do well in your climate with the Sphaerocarpium group (cool temp brugs) which include sanguinea, arborea and vulcanicola.

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Karyn.... so Brugmansia suaveolens would be a nice addition....

Izhar

• karyn1
    13 years ago

They would probably grow well. Planting brug seeds is a bit different then planting datura seeds. They need a bit of prep work. Brug seeds have a corky covering. You soak the seeds in water overnight to soften it then peel it off. Press the seeds in the soil, just barely covering them. Most seeds will sprout within a few weeks but some can take considerably longer so don't think they won't germinate. Brug seedlings are pretty hardy and not that susecptible to things like damping off. I start them in trays and transplant to individual pots when they have a set of true leaves. I start them in a 4" pot and move them up as necessary. If you are going to plant them in the yard I'd wait until they are about 8-12 inches tall. Good luck.

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great info.. now this is what I was looking for.. thanks

Izhar

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Glad to help.

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The blooms opened this evening... what a wonderful fragrance, I brought the pots in my room, intoxication perfume quickly filled the entire room...

{{gwi:510463}}

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wish I could share its fragrance with you all:

Izhar
    {{gwi:3834}}
    {{gwi:3835}}

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Izhar-
    I first discovered that Datura about 6 yrs ago when I worked at a nursery. The head grower snuck some seeds in a green house and grew them. She gave us workers 2 seedlings each. I planted them both, but one died. The other didn't do much and died when winter came. I lived in zone 5,a heavy snow belt area, and it became covered with 4 - 5 feet of snow over the winter. In the spring, up comes this plant from the dead! I brought it down here to NC, zone 7b, and now it grows wild every where and comes back every year. They are very dependable for fragrance, so I planted them all along my driveway this year. You are so right- I think they have the most incredible fragrance, even over most Brugs! So easy and care free too. I hardly watered mine, they are so tough. I'm happy for you!
    kasha77

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks kasha77, wish I had some double Purples and yellows to cross with them..

• Beth Ludford
    5 years ago

This plant is extremely poisonous! It has been banned in some places. If you read up about it, I am surprised you didn't know about it.