Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Too Hot

karyn1
13 years ago

I can't believe that I'm saying this but it's almost too hot to be outside. The past 2 days have been 104 and 105, respectively, and with the opressive humidity it makes it feel even hotter. I was out (with a few breaks) from about 6 am until 4 pm yesterday and was so dizzy and nauseous when I finally went inside. I will take heat over cold any day but this is a bit much. Plants are wilting even though the soil is moist. Even the pool water feels tepid. We are supposed to get a break today with temps only in the 90's. What we really need is some rain. At least the water restrictions have been lifted.

Comments (6)

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Karyn-
    Those are the classic signs of heat exhaustion, which can lead to stroke and even death. Please listen to your body and stay out of the heat! To beat the heat, I have been getting up at 5, and by 10 a.m. I move to the shade, then in the house by 11. Hot here too- in the 100's. Nap at noon, then in the house til 6:30 pm. I know it sucks having to stay in the house, but that's the way it is here in summer, zone 7b NC. My brugs are fairing great, even through this heat. I'm shoveling huge mounds of mulch around them & I water morning & evening. They don't even wilt! Oh well, I hope you're feeling better- take it slowly!
    kasha77

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Never knew it got that hot in MD! Karyn, stay indoors during those middle hours of the day and drink lots of water.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

The 100's are a bit much for me too even though I live for summer. Right now I'm hoping we get out of the 60's today! We had a front move through on Tuesday night and yesterday was cool, cloudy and rainy. I barely went outdoors. If this doesn't break today I'm going to start feeling like my summer has passed already.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Karyn, we don't go out midday when it's that hot. You can't cool off even in the shade or pool. Best to work first thing in the morning or late evening. We just had a discussion on the Texas forum on how to garden after dark.

Oddly, it's only 76o here just after noon. That's about 25o below normal.

Shirley

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm sure I was suffering a bit of heat exhaustion yesterday and it wasn't smart to stay out in that heat. Today was much better, still hot, but not unbearable. I'm always outside in the summer and inside during the winter. I really need to live in a southern climate.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

Gonna be 100 and sumpin here today. I would garden after dark but that's when the skeeters are out.
    I get heat stroke really easy and I grew up in the desert LOL! I would like to live somewhere that stays between
    50-90 degrees all year around. Is that too much to ask? :P
    I gave our poor bunnies a few frozen 2 litter pop bottles that I fill with water and freeze for them. They wrap themselves around them to keep cool. I have a lionhead bunny that I have to keep outside cuz my dd turned out to be allegic to him. I feel sorry for the guy he's so hairy. He is in deep shade but its way too hot today.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths