Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

A happy homecoming

karyn1
13 years ago

I got home this am and after checking the animals ventured outside. I can't believe that I only lost a couple plants and one will probably come back from the roots. I guess the big brug buds either dropped or already bloomed but there's several with lots of small buds. None of the blooms I tried to pollinate before I left took. I was shocked at how much some of the plants grew in just a week. The brugs that I have in the raised bed must have shot up almost a foot and a couple passies and a thunbergia grandiflora became so entwined that they are impossible to separate.

I can't believe that she was able to water everything so well. I really expected to come home to a mass die off considering it was in the upper 90's most days. It did cool off to the 80's T-F at the beach so I assume it cooled a bit here as well.

This week is going to be a challenge as we are supposed to have a record breaking heat wave with no rain in sight. Evidently we are also on water restrictions because of a 91" main break nearby but I'm watering anyway. The pool is still full of tadpoles so we haven't opened it yet and I can take water from there.

My plants made it home in good shape including the cacao tree. I seriously doubt that I'll get any seed pods but there's still over 50 blooms along the trunk and there's a possibility that it was cross pollinated at the nursery because there was another cacao tree next to it in bloom. I should have bought both because they were only $45 each but the other tree was close to 10' tall. No way could I have gotten that home. I picked up a gorgeous variegated fuchsia, medinillas in bud and a bunch of other stuff. The most expensive plant was $5.95. These would have easily been $40 or more at another tropical nursery. I'll post pics later.

Comments (6)