Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A happy homecoming

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 7:22

I got home this am and after checking the animals ventured outside. I can't believe that I only lost a couple plants and one will probably come back from the roots. I guess the big brug buds either dropped or already bloomed but there's several with lots of small buds. None of the blooms I tried to pollinate before I left took. I was shocked at how much some of the plants grew in just a week. The brugs that I have in the raised bed must have shot up almost a foot and a couple passies and a thunbergia grandiflora became so entwined that they are impossible to separate.

I can't believe that she was able to water everything so well. I really expected to come home to a mass die off considering it was in the upper 90's most days. It did cool off to the 80's T-F at the beach so I assume it cooled a bit here as well.

This week is going to be a challenge as we are supposed to have a record breaking heat wave with no rain in sight. Evidently we are also on water restrictions because of a 91" main break nearby but I'm watering anyway. The pool is still full of tadpoles so we haven't opened it yet and I can take water from there.

My plants made it home in good shape including the cacao tree. I seriously doubt that I'll get any seed pods but there's still over 50 blooms along the trunk and there's a possibility that it was cross pollinated at the nursery because there was another cacao tree next to it in bloom. I should have bought both because they were only $45 each but the other tree was close to 10' tall. No way could I have gotten that home. I picked up a gorgeous variegated fuchsia, medinillas in bud and a bunch of other stuff. The most expensive plant was $5.95. These would have easily been $40 or more at another tropical nursery. I'll post pics later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A happy homecoming

Welcome back Karyn, and I am so happy that your plants at home survived! Now, go rest, LOL!

o

Welcome back! Where dya go? Sounds like you got some great plants!

Theresa

o

We go to Rehobeth Beach as often as possible during the summer. It's only a couple hours away and Pepper's Nursery is in Milton which is about 20 minutes from the beach. How can I resist?? It's the only remotely local nursery that carries some of the less common tropicals that I like. I displayed considerable restraint this time. The last time I went I came home with 45 plants and the time before 60!!! lol

o

Karyn, so glad this worked out and your vacation was fun. Rehobeth Beach is a great beach town.

Great that you had a chance to go shopping for plants.

o

• Posted by knotz 8/PNW SWWA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 14:13

Welcome back and so glad all was ok :)

o

Welcome home Karyn. Glad that your plants are OK. Looking forward to see your pictures of the plants you bought.

Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here