Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: Red Noodle Bean plus

karyn1
13 years ago

I'm just tickled with the Red Noodle bean. I originally grew it for the blooms but the pods are so much fun. They can grow 6" in a single day and they taste great, better then string beans. For eating you pick them at about pencil width and by then they are already a couple feet long. Here's the bloom and a pod that I'm letting ripen to collect seeds.

{{gwi:511346}}

{{gwi:511349}}

This dragon fly was trapped in the greenhouse. It's just beautiful. I hope it found it's way out.

{{gwi:511352}}

{{gwi:511355}}

The theobroma cacao is sending out another flush of blooms.

{{gwi:511357}}

Misc from this morning. The plants aren't as interesting as the ones posted in the BOC thread but they're pretty, even though most are fairly common varieties.

{{gwi:511361}}

{{gwi:511364}}

{{gwi:511369}}

{{gwi:511373}}

{{gwi:299270}}

{{gwi:511377}}

{{gwi:511380}}

{{gwi:511385}}

{{gwi:511389}}

{{gwi:511392}}

Comments (13)

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

Thanks for the pictures they are beautiful. Nothing that is eye candy is common or uninteresting.

• siam_cannas
    13 years ago

great pics, nice dragon fly indeed! The noodle bean is used alot here in the caribbean both the red and green varieties. i do like it, but i prefer string beans!! :)
    Siam.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you wally-1936. Siam I didn't know there was a green noodle bean. I'll have to look for it. I assume I'd be more likely to find it in one of the ethnic markets. I eat veggies raw and think the noodle bean has an almost sweet taste compared to string beans. Do they hold the red color when cooked?

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Those are all so cool looking, Karyn! That noodle bean is beautiful! I planted a 6-pk of the grean Asian long-bean, but have only harvested about 5 beans. I did take a bite of the raw bean, but didn't think it tasted that good so cooked them in an omelet. The last set of pictures, what are pix 2 and 6?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eloise #2 is Mirabilis Longiflora (Sweet 4:00) and #6 is a cleome.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More misc plants. The first and last are 2 different plants. 1 is a solanum and the last is a basil.

{{gwi:511401}}
    {{gwi:511404}}
    {{gwi:511407}}
    {{gwi:511410}}
    {{gwi:511414}}
    {{gwi:511417}}
    {{gwi:511419}}
    {{gwi:511423}}
    {{gwi:511426}}
    {{gwi:511429}}

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

I'm loving the photos, like going to the Botanic Gardens online! I planted the Asian longbean a few years ago and thought the flavor was not up to par, so back to bush string beans. BTW, passing by my sliding glass door last night and noticed a hummingbird enjoying my potted zinnias. So glad they like what I planted!

• siam_cannas
    13 years ago

karyn, the red noodle bean's colour does fade a bit when cooked. The green noodle bean is actually used more than the red one here. I see if i can get some seeds of it for you. I cant believe it, ive known and ate noodle beans since i was a child, its also known as "bodi" here.
    still prefer string beans though!
    Siam.

• chena
    13 years ago

Karyn that bean is amazing.. I grow the burgundy beans and Okra that turn green when cooked and have grown the the yard long beans that are green.. Very interesting! Love the Variegated Basil also.. I have just gotten back in town AGAIN.. I have been gone most of the time since March.LOL So nice to some blooms I have missed everything here..LOL Everything looks Great!!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kylie if you want any seeds just let me know. I hope that basil puts out seeds. Actually it was in the greenhouse at the farm. I'm up there so infrequently that I don't even know what we have in stock. lol

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Been down (literally) and trying to catch up. My back went out working out in the yard.

That is a beautiful 4 o'clock Karyn, your MGs especially pix 4 and pix 7! Thanks for such lovely pictures!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I love your mgs and your red noodle bean. I grow the red beans here because they do so well in our humidity. The one I have is called Red Orr and listed as an Asian veg so I have been putting it in the stir fry. Seems like all the Asian veggies do good here lol.
    That reminds me, I still have that double blue MG seeds that popped up in my yard a few yrs ago somewhere. I grew them again last year from the previous year's seed and they came true.

• chena
    13 years ago

Karyn I would love a few thanks!! Your MG's are beautiful I have some seed but never got the chance to get it planted.. I have the blue that comes back every yr.but thats it..LOL.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure