Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

Still loving brugs but as always have questions pics

lovetogrowflowers
10 years ago

It's been a long while since posted, so I'm not sure anyone remembers me, but Karyn is one I remember. But that aside, maybe someone can help me. We're not having what I would call an extremely hot summer, my brugs have grown like crazy with no help from me. They've been in the ground three years now, and while each of the two are beautiful, and doing their own thing I am worried about them. I've fed them fertilizer just once two weeks ago, but even before I gave them that they were both 6 feets tall. They look beautiful, nice and green, big leaves, but I am not feeding them, so it's like they're getting lot of nitrogen.

So, I'm at a dilemma, do I let the m just do their own thing. I mean one of the two has buds on it already, some that may even open in a week or more. But that's what's got me worried. Out of the 6-7 branches coming up from the ground only maybe two branches have buds on them, so it's sporadic. Is this something I should be worried about? Or is it normal?

Other brug white brug, super hot last year bud drop, then cooled down, starting budding like crazy, I was so hopin I could see it bloom again like the year before, but nope, right toward the end of the season it was loaded with buds after the cool down, they're growing, but it was so close to frost I wasn't hopeful, and yep didn't get to see it bloom lasts year.

And is that normal? What can I do to balance everything out and once I feel they're tall enough to bloom, should I be giving something extra? Why the sporadic blooms and why does it seem I have to rush them towards the end to bloom before frost hits. They seem to wait and start getting ready to do a full flush way to close to frost time. Should I start using a bloom booster? Please help!

Comments (3)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

Cooler night temperatures naturally set off the blooms for most brugmansia that's why they seem to do particularly well in fall and spring compared to the summer months.
    I give mine bloom booster to help them set more blooms during the summer months. Some varieties will just bloom more during hot nights than others as well. My Miss Emily McKenzie and Mountain Magic and Ila Marie are flushing very steady even though it has been hot and humid even at night whereas some of the others are slowing down. I need to get out and hit them all with some bloom booster but its been too hot to do anything out there lately lol.

For more foliage you want nitrogen, for more blooms you want more phosphorus (middle # in the npk ratio on the fertilizer box)

Your plants look really lush so they are probably getting plenty of nitrogen.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 10:57

• oxmyxing
    10 years ago

Hi lovetogrowflowers \
    Been years since I posted, you might remember me as oxmyx, got booted and changed login.

Hey your brugs look good, you overwinter them inside? oh no I see you said they were in the ground.............
    Par for the course if you are in this heat wave, but heck go and feed the S**t out of them. FWIW
    Barry

This post was edited by oxmyxing on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 17:32

• lovetogrowflowers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, got real busy. I'm getting sporadic blooms and its diving me nuts. Got like 12-14 huge branches coming out but only one branch will bloom. Maybe it's the heat, found a brown bud on the ground the other day. Ill just try bloom booster again. I thought I'd been giving them enough, maybe a little more wouldn't hurt. I've only seen my white one in full bloom one time in three years. It's beautiful, but it just seems to wait so close to frost to wanna bloom well. Last two years frost got it within days of an almost full bloom :-( Here's a pic of the one time it did bloom fully instead of sporadic blooms.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida