Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubby_gw

Cross-Pollination

Rubby
9 years ago

I understand the process of cross-pollination, so I don't need a full complete explanation. However, I also understand everyone cross-pollinates differently. This will be my first year collecting pollen & cross-pollinating and have a couple questions.

1) What is the best method of pollen transfer? I have watched some tutorials that suggest to use a fine, natural hair painter's brush. I have also seen some that suggest to just hold the anther and "wipe" it on the end of the stigma.

2) After pollination, then what? One tutorial said to tape the bottom of flower closed to avoid insects from entering and ruining my pollination. Another showed to literally tape the flower closed around the anthers & stigma (while they are touching) to help pollination.

3) I do want to save some additional pollen for next spring, just in case it doesn't work out this fall. I know I will need to freeze, but can I just put anthers in a vile & freeze? Or would it be best to remove pollen from anthers, and then freeze? I believe I read it might be best to put anthers in a vile, leave open until the pollen falls off (will it?), then remove anthers and freeze pollen.

Best suggestions from someone that has an easy method with good viable pollen?

Thanks a bunch

Comment (1)