Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Box of Chocolates Datura

karyn1
13 years ago

My first BOC dats are blooming. I think it might be 292-3 but can't be sure because I mixed up tags when I transplanted them. The outer skirt is dusted with purple near the edge and the inner skirt and most of the outer skirt are stark white. There appears to be more undeveloped petals in the center of the blooms. It's very pretty with a nice light scent. Sorry no pics but my camera is dead and the kids have theirs with them. I'll try to get one of their cameras when they get home.

Comments (18)

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

You know we are clamoring for photos! I love the name - I was expecting to read they are cocoa colored!

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Sound yummy! Can't wait to see pictures.

• knotz
    13 years ago

I wanna see too!!!

• lopaka_mikale
    13 years ago

you drew me in with the mention of chocolates! does your phone not have a camera?

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

My phone came with a sub? cord, take the pic, with the phone then plug the cord to the comp. and download the pics, to the comp. then attach the pic to the post.I think. well that is how I sometimes do this.Sorry but you blooms sound so beautiful!! can't wait to see your flowers, I have 2 brugs with blooms forming, Marcie

• blicon1
    13 years ago

Excellent Karyn!!!
    Sounds like you've got one that I haven't had yet. All of the ones so far this year from my test plantings have been very similar to past years flowers. As a matter of fact, many have been very plain and closely resemble regular purple metels with slight variations. I was beginning to think that they may have started to revert. Really glad to read your description. Can't wait for pics!
    Regards,
    Jack

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Wow Karyn, sounds exciting! When are your kids coming back, with the camera :-)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Unfortunately the heat got to the blooms already but I have more buds that will open soon and my new camera should be here soon as well.

Jack I'm happy to send you some of the seeds from this variety if you want them. I assume that I'll get pods. I'll know within the next couple days when the flower drops.

• blicon1
    13 years ago

You are right about that - if you don't get a pic in the morning, they get crummy pretty quickly in this heat. There will be more!
    Jack

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is a bloom from a different plant but it's very similar to the first two. It's just more of a yellowish color with a bit less sprinkling of purple. it has a nice fragrance.

{{gwi:511943}}
    {{gwi:511944}}
    {{gwi:511945}}

• threas
    13 years ago

Beautiful, Karyn! Congrats on your Dat blooms!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Jack, I received the new seeds. I retired in May, and have been gone since June 8th. I will plant them, but the numbers you sent to me, 140-1, 146-7, and 162-3 only one is in the picture, I have no idea what colors they are, I sure hope one has the mauve tones, like the first numbers I received. I will plant them today. I just got home yesterday. I spent 1 week in Florida, and then went to Rockport for 4 weeks. I had to wait and plant them, since I would not be here to water the seeds. Thanks Jack, Barbra

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Beautiful Karyn, I like the minimal purple coloring on your dat!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have to post pics from a couple others. They are the whiter blooms. One has more purple and the other about the same amount. It would be nice if there's a mauve tinted one in the bunch. I still have about a dozen more that haven't bloomed.

• blicon1
    13 years ago

Barbra - I sent replacement seeds that had really good germination rates here. Chances are fairly good that you will get some mauve tones - good luck with these!

Karyn, very nice - my favorites are the yellows and whites that come out with just a little of the purple. Can't wait to see more!

Jack

• PoohBearLvr
    6 years ago

Karyn1. I am VERY late to THIS party, I hope you get a notice that I am posting this. Do you still grow this 'Box of Chocolates' datura? I cant find an email address to contact you, so I am posting this PLEA here. I am trying to find these datura seeds, along with another one, that I CANT buy off Ebay either, from Canada, for some stupid reason.

But I JUST found out about these Box Of Chocolate daturas, and was hoping you might still be growing them, and have seeds to sell? I am in south Fla. and the other ones I want, from Canada, for some reason ,they wont sell to anyone that lives in Fla. or with a zip code that starts with a '3'! And i am in 33309.

I have plenty of the common double purple/white one, and I have some double yellows, I do have those seeds. BUT if you have seeds of this BOC, I would LOVE to get my hands on a few!

Can you let me know? They grow so well and fast here, but i cant get any good colors. And this one is odd and beautiful..just what I love.

Any chance you have some seed? PLEASE let me know. Thank you, Stan

• tare73750
    6 years ago

I have seeds, but they have been refrigerated for about 7 years now. I doubt they are still viable. Perhaps you can find someone here that has been growing them and has some seeds. - http://www.brugmansia.us/datura/box-of-chocolate-daturas/