Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommysmommy_gw

OT: My kitty is in desperate shape

tommysmommy
12 years ago

Long story short, my cat may have lymphoma and after a vet visit yesterday where he had to be cut off from food and water, he's severely dehyrated, hiding, won't eat, and probably has very high blood sugars (he's diabetic). But since he's so dehyrated I can't get his capillaries to bleed to test him. And I'm leaving on vacation Monday and have a deadline to get him either stable or do something else. I can't even think about it. Please pray for this guy. I'm his mommy!

Comments (14)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry. Why doesn't your vet give him subcutaneous fluids just to rehydrate him? It's easy. You can even do it at home. A cat has such loose skin at the scruff that it's very easy to insert the IV and let it run in. It's no more difficult then giving the insulin injections for the diabetes. I lost a kitty to lymphoma several years ago. Hopefully your kitty is just suffering dehydration and will rebound.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Oy Poor kitty, Sorry Tommysmommy! Hope things get better for you both. :( Sending prayers & good thoughts your way!

~Tina Marie

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your kind words. Karyn, I did go get a bag of fluids, they even put in B vitamins to help stimulate his appetite. I'm well experienced in giving them. He had his first treatment and seems more relaxed anyway, but doesn't want to come to me and hasn't "spoken" since he came home. I hope the next 24 hours are the turning point.

• threas
    12 years ago

Awwww, praying for your kitty!

Theresa

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well Tommy update: fluids seem to be having an effect, he started purring again last night and came to lay by me as we slept. He's not digging the syringe feedings, but he's swallowing at least. Now if I can just manage the blood sugar properly we might have a chance.

• maile_2010
    12 years ago

Best wishes for kitty. Pets are our children also.
    Jerry

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I'm so glad to hear that he's improving. Can you board him with the vet while you are away? Several years ago I had a cat that was diabetic and immediately put on insulin. She did well but it was such a PITA when we went on vacation. She has since passed. My oldest (we have 3 cats) is borderline diabetic but instead of going straight to daily insulin we changed her diet. We actually changed all of their food. They now get only grain free canned food. It's pretty much pure protein and fat. Her blood sugar has stabilized and she looks so much better. They also love the food. Unfortunately it's 3x the cost of regular canned food but it's really cheaper in the long run with the health benefits. There's a natural products pet store near here where I buy it. Petsmart might carry one or two varieties but the pet bakeries and small pet supply stores usually have a good selection. I hope your kitty continues to improve.

• msmorningsong
    12 years ago

Just a thought Karyn, but can you just use regular, say...cuts of human grade raw meats? I feed Boo london broil, raw and cut up, and she has eaten since a kitten. She won't eat anything else, except dry Purina One UTI stuff. (We don't know that she needs it, just not taking a chance, lost a cat to UTI)
    Some who read may balk, but we have found that pound by pound, it actually works out cheaper to feed her this than canned cat food! What are your thoughts on this? I know we've talked 'cat' before, and you're very good at it.
    Tommysmommy, I am also very glad to hear your kitty is doing better. Hope he stays that way :)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

The human grade food is probably great but you might want to ask your vet if it should be amended with oils, fats and vitamins. My cats steal Bailey's doggie kibble so they get some dry food to help clean their teeth. I've been brushing Bailey's teeth since she was a puppy and she gets her teeth checked by the vet but I've never bothered brushing the cat's teeth. If I tried now they'd likely bite the #$%* out of my fingers!

• Ament
    12 years ago

Oy! I would hate to try and brush a cats teeth that has never had it done. Yikes! Scary thought.

Tommysmommy, I do hope your kitty is doing better. I lost one to fatty liver disease. His name was Tommy. So I truly hope your kitty comes around and gets well. I had such a hard time coming back from that one.

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Following up on kittynews: Tommycat has been making steady progress since Sunday and I fully expect he will start eating on his own very soon. His attitude and behavior are coming back, snuggles, purrs, kneading, following us around. The last piece is eating and drinking by himself. Thanks all for caring.

• chena
    12 years ago

Dianne that is such great news!!!! I hope he continues to recover!! When is your vacation?

Kylie

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I'm so glad to hear it.

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kylie, my vacation is this week. We stayed home and cancelled our plans. Thanks for your enthusiasm!!