Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

Finally! Pics of my gardens!

kasha77
15 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to say a big "Thank You" to all who have traded seeds & plants with me this year! Here are the results of wintersowing them, & creating lasagna beds (with hubby's help) to transplant them in. Hopefully, this fall I'll have some pics of the Brugs I've received!

And thank you Karyn, for making these pics simple to upload!

Hugs-

Kasha77

{{gwi:513215}}

{{gwi:513216}}

{{gwi:513217}}

{{gwi:513218}}

{{gwi:513219}}

{{gwi:513220}}

{{gwi:513222}}

{{gwi:513223}}

{{gwi:513224}}

{{gwi:513225}}

{{gwi:513226}}

{{gwi:513227}}

{{gwi:513229}}

{{gwi:513231}}

{{gwi:513233}}

Comments (13)

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Everything looks good! What is a lasagna bed?....I've heard this term for a while now but am not sure exactly what it means. I used to think it was a bed with herbs/vegetables for lasagna but I quickly realized that wasn't what it is,lol.
    Shawn

• greatnan
    15 years ago

Your garden is so lovely. What is the purple flowers on either side of the butterfly stepping stone? They're gorgeous but then so are all of your other pretties.

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Tropical nut, I think those are some kind of dianthus by the stone.
    Shawn

• vaskirt
    15 years ago

Kasha, What beautiful gardens !! I see you have taught your hubby well LOL. great pictures, I really enjoyed them.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Your yard is beautiful. My DD saw the first two pics and thought it looked like a painting. With the way the light hits it does! I love lasagna beds. I made my first one two years ago and it's so easy. No digging, no weeds and the soil is nice and rich by the spring. Glad to help. Posting pics from Photobucket is so easy. I have some stuff on Picasso (also free) but that site is too difficult for me to figure out though they do have all kinds of cool programs.
    Karyn

• neonposey
    15 years ago

I love your pictures. Your new brug babies will fit right in there. Everything looks beautiful!

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Really pretty gardens! You have some very nice plants. I love those blue iris.

• oxmyx
    15 years ago

Love to see your pictures. You really have something going there.... Great new bed I like the shape.
    Great Sweet Williams.

Some of your images are so good I am going to save them, particularly striking are the hazy backgrounds. Is this early morning? What an effect!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

I love your photos and flowers. You really know how to use lighting in your pics. Everything looks so green and healthy. I love lasagna gardening too because it is so easy.
    I just finished up a figure 8 shaped island bed just to put all doubles in. My dh made a huge trellis for the center.

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

Kasha77,
    I am glad to see that I am not the only one that uses cardboard
    as a weed barrier. Your gardens look wonderful.

Mary
    z 5B KS

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Everything looks nice Kathy. After seeing this I did a little reading on lasgna gardening, do yall think it would work along a fence line? and where are the easiest instructions? I am all about the easiest way.

Mary

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Fantastic vistas! Looks like you have a lot of land to plant; lovely!

• kasha77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI Everyone!
    Thanks for all the nice comments! I love photography & gardening- I think they go hand in hand.
    Shawn & Mary:
    Lasagna gardening is a method of no tilling gardening.. You lay a degradeable weed barrier ( I like to use cardboard, which attracts worms & will break down in the future, so that the plants will grow down thru it) You then assemble large quantities of moist organic materials- manures, leaves, hay, etc, & layer them 6 inches deep on top of each other, til it's about 1 foot high, finishing up with compost. If you have enough of everything, you can complete a bed in 1 day, including planting your transplants right in... I experimented with cow manure vs horse manure combined with sawdust bedding. (both were UN -composted, & did NOT burn my plants!) The cow manure stayed moist under the layers of leaves & pine straw, & I hardly had to water or fertilize at all.. The plants planted in the cow manure lasagna beds were 4x the size as plants in the horse manure lasagna beds. These beds dried out way too fast, & I had to constantly water them til the plants took hold. I will say this- if you plan to lay out a lasagna bed over a lawn, like I did, make sure that you use 2 layers of DRY cardboard over it. I didn't, & I am battling with crab grass, something fierce! It does pull out easily, but I have SO much of it, & so little time.. I'm sure it will do nicely next to a fence line.... It's really important to put an edge around your garden, whether you did a moat (like I do) or lay down a black rubber one, to save you time in keeping weeds & grass out of your gardens.. I am planning to buy the black edging. To really research Lasagna gardening I did a simple google search- there is so much info out there!
    This is my first year implementing this method in my gardens. I love where we live, out in the country on a small pie shaped acre...... (I have a little slice of the pie!) Yes, these shots were taken about 6:30 am..... The pink flowers on either side of my blue butterfly stepping stone are Maiden Pinks- a clump perennial that doesn't divide at all! I tried, & half of it died! the blue Iris were rescued from the woods, I had no idea what color they would be when I planted them.
    Neonposey: I will post photos of your brugs when they bloom- they are very happy, in a very rich moist leaf mold soil........ Can't wait! Take care folks!
    Kathy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting