Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfaustclancy

Help with whatever is eating this poor plant!

dfaustclancy
11 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I received my first brug at a plant swap this spring (thanks Annie!) and am so excited to be growing this plant which I was told is almost 10 years old. Up till now, it overwintered in a basement in Zone 4/5, coming out every spring to put on its show. When I picked up this brug, it

was "bursting" with new growth all up and down it's stems. However, when the buggy holes started appearing in the leaves just a few weeks into my ownership, I logged onto Gardenweb and lurked in the brug's section until I had soaked up as much knowledge as possible prior to asking my question. I've had yellow leaf drop off, which I'm not too worried about because of the rate of growth which is still going on. I usually try to stay as organic as possible, but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire! I still have this brug in a pot, and have been fertilizing with bloom boost (Miracle grow) and today I decided to give a little tonic of epsom salts and some Ironite as a vitamin.... I'm attaching a photo (I hope) of the holes in the leaves, so that you can see the damage. I found an earwig on one, but I can't see anything else which leads me to believe it must be whiteflies and/or spider mites. So, my gardening buddies, what do you think the problem is and what in the heck can I do about it???

Comments (6)