Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisonmoongarden

Bud Growth?

nopenopenope
9 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a 6ft tall Frosty Pink that is in a 5 gal container. Been feeding it 2xs a wk with MG alternating every couple of days with fish & seaweed. Also add Milorganite & Tomato Tone every few wks to make sure it has something to eat at all times. Temps have been in the 80's all summer but nothing above 89*. I usually have to water it every 3-4 days. Plant is given morning sun until about noon when it's too hot then I move it under filtered sun. It's planted in a mix of FF Happy Frog & Ocean Forest potting soil that's been amended with perlite & has a 3" layer of lava rocks on the bottom.

It's put out nice dark green foliage & has "Y"d in numerous places. Noticed there were some tiny buds starting about a month ago but these buds don't seem to be getting any bigger since. How long does it usually take for buds to elongate? Should I be giving this thing a bloom booster (I have Jack's & Carl Pool's BR-61 for my Plumeria) & cutting back on the MG?

Comments (21)

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Wow you take great care of your brug and the 80s is great climate for them to thrive in (where I live it gets hot). Your brug should bloom a lot for you soon. I use miracle grow potting mix that feeds upto 6 months for all my brugs (no added perlite) and they thrive in it. I usually feed all my brugs every week sometimes every two weeks with miracle grow plant food. I sometime (not often at all) in between feedings give some super thrive. My frosty pink blooms a lot. All my single bloomers bloom a lot. I shared some pix. My frosty pink was small at the time because I cut off some big branches that I had air layered to make new little trees to sale.

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Pic

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Pic

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Pic

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Pic

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Pic

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Pic

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

I shared a few pictures of some of my brugs. Sorry for the many posts it wouldn't let me post more than one at a time.

• nopenopenope
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good Morning jesusortiz2691 :). Thank you so much for your reply as well as sharing some pics of your beautiful brugs! I love seeing peoples' flowers & learning how they care for their beloved trees. Your frosty pink is lovely. So I guess I should be good with everything I've been doing for mine, just need to be patient. Took a look at it this morning & saw some of the buds are finally elongating :). Hope it holds them. Is the third pic Charles Grimaldi? I have a Supernova brug that I got as a 6" cutting in April & decided to try planting it in the ground as an experiment. The thing is doing better than my frosty pink and I hardly feed it.

• _eee
    9 years ago

Jesus, thank you for sharing your wonderful collection. I too live in a very HOT area (should reach 112 today) so it was nice to see what a collector can do in the heat.
    Dottie

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Jesus you have some really gorgeous brugmansias, thanks for sharing pictures with us. I was especially taken with the last two, their depth of color, are they named varieties?

Annette

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

@PoisonMoonGarden
    Hello,
    Yes sounds like you have been taking great care of your brugs so you just need a bit of time untill they go crazy blooming. That's great that buds are getting bigger. I'm sure it will soon be blooming regularly for you if you feed it MG every week or two. I too am excited for two of my seedling trees that are now 6-7 ft tall that have big buds on them hoping they hold and bloom. I have 7 trees grown from seed crossings from very nice double and triple brugs I'm hoping to get something nice. 2 more of the 7 seedling keep setting buds but they drop them they only get to about an inch. About the third pic that is my single yellow I have no idea what kind it is as I bought it from a local nursery that just had it labeled yellow brugmansia it was my first one I bought. It blooms like crazy and it has a strong fragrance. It bloom from yellow to sometimes almost orangish it just depends on the climate. I have all my brugs in pots (if u look closely at the picture of the yellow its in a squared pot the picture is a bit dark) and they do fine. They should do better in the ground I didn't plant mine in the ground because we live in a rental and I was going to move but unfortunately I don't think I'm going anywhere anytime soon as we were scammed by a relator scam artist that took all of our money we have been saving for many years. Police said they don't know when or if we will be getting our money back and that the investigation will take months to a year. I just been praying for the best and for better days to come. Anyways good luck on growing your brugs share pictures when in bloom.

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Hello Dottie,
    You're welcome. it gets hot here in riverside but not that hot. It's been in the 90s here with few days 100-102. I bet you have to atleast have yours in morning sun and afternoon shade and well watered to tolerate that heat. Do they hold their buds with that heat and flower for you? The thing I hate when it gets upto 100 here is when some of my brugs wilt and sometimes the next day or two I find spider mites on them. I don't know if they come to them when they wilt or they just hatch in that hot heat. But I spray them with soap and water in the evening and they go away. Do you have that problem sometimes too? I've got that problem twice this summer when it gets very hot here.

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Hello Annette,
    You're welcome. Its theas liebling. Slower grower but gives very nice blooms.

• _eee
    9 years ago

Hi Jesus. I live in Indio and as you know it is HOT here but I have yet to get spider mite and that maybe because I put Systemic (?) in my potting soil....don't know if that is why but I think it has helped. I also have them on a water system so that they get some water 3 times a day. One is under lattice so it gets sun for a while during the day but the other 2 only get morning sun. My buds fell off about 3 weeks ago but I know they will return once we get more normal temps. I do love your collection and wonder where you purchases them, did you get them here in Calif.? or through the mail. Dottie

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Hello Dottie
    Yes indio gets pretty hot. And I guess yes systemic must help. And wow 3 times a day. Well I guess they do need that because of the hot weather. I only water mine once in the evening. What kind of brugs do you have? I bought mine from various websites. But watch out because even reputable websites sometimes end up sending you plants that don't bloom true to the pictures they have up. You just have to wait and see what you got. I had many plants bloom single that suppose to be double or triple but I orders from other sites and finally got what I have now. Also some plants bloom similar to what they suppose to be but different and some not as colorful. One of the things I noticed was if they are selling for cheap usually under $20-25 you will most likely get something not too nice (you get what you pay for) And shipping gets expensive. You will also get small plants like 7 inches to a ft tall that will take time to grow out. So by the time you see blooms you forget where you got them from especially if you order from many sites like me. And or the sellers won't want to refund because they say they don't have proof that's the plant they sent you a long time ago. I did spent a lot of money and time to get my collection. So good luck on getting your collection to grow. I would ask people on the forum if they sell plants so you actually get plants that bloom true to what you are paying for. I wish I had found out about this site a long time ago when I was building my collection. I now have um about 12 different kinds or a couple more.

• _eee
    9 years ago

Jesus, I collect Adeniums (Desert Roses) and thought I would try Brugs since I have always loved them but didn't know how well they would grow out here. I purchased one from a nursery in Fallbrook and 2 others from nurserys here but nothing special so then I ordered 2 from Trumpetflower.com and 1 from Logee's and you are right, they are only about a foot tall and so now I anxiously await to see them grow and flower. I am also keeping my fingers crossed that they turn out to be what I ordered. Dottie

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Dottie,
    That's nice. I just started to get into adeniums. I only have 1 and I want to purchase some double flowering adeniums. Do you own double flowering adeniums? If so where did you get them? Did you order double flowering varieties of the brugs? Which kind? I don't recall ordering from neither of those sellers. Good luck hope you get what you ordered or atleast something nice.

• _eee
    9 years ago

Jesus, if you have not checked out Trumpetflowers.com please do. They have a wonderful selection with pictures and not only that but the grower is the nicest lady and you can even ask questions....I love that site and I have read everything in it. I ordered only doubles, one is pink called Day Dreams and another double is Endless Summer. I ordered a red single (can't think of the name right now) from Logee's but like I said before they are only about a foot tall. I do have a few double Adeniums and have ordered some from on line also purchased some from Home Depot and was so surprised when they bloomed to find a couple of doubles. I love growing them and they love the heat so that's good out here. Dottie

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation but I have a lot of brugs already and if I go to the website and I find nice ones I don't have I will be very tempted to order more. Good luck on growing your new brugs. You should share pictures when they bloom. I will keep an eye out at homedepot to search for some nice adeniums.

• technodweeb
    9 years ago

Awwwwwwwwwwesome pictures!

I'm too lazy to put pictures of mine up. I've gone through a gazillion brugs myself, and I'm down to a Pink Smitty (Double pink), Kongmonsia (Monster single white), New Orleans Lady (double orange), Sun Sport (lemon/lime leaves - single peach) annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd (sent to me by a member here) my Breezey/Christine - (single pink). Gawd I adore my Breezey/Christine. .. dark green leaves, Pink/white flowers.

I just gave 3 others away because I'm whittling my collection - they're over 12' tall (in monster pots) - and becoming difficult to move/store over the winter at that size.

I've got 4 more Inca Suns, and 2 Angel's Flowers from Logees this year because I'm "downsizing" my collection. These only grow to about 3' tall, and are much more manageable than these 12' monsters I have.

I will keep the Breezey/Christine (NOID) from this forum because she is 7 years old now - and she's stands in a pot, on blacktop in our parking area hiding a power pole (yep, stands in the brutal heat and keeps on blooming without a single whimper.) She needs lots of water, of course, but she was "born" in Florida, so I assume she's a real heat loving plant. Her trunk is about 5", and I just love her. I'll probably end up with Sun Sport and Breezy, with the 6 smaller brugs.

I should post pictures of my Kongmansia - she's a beast with all her huge flowers!

I love the pictures and your brugs look wonderfully happy and healthy!

Mine are in Oscomote potting soil and MG potting soil. They each get 1 heaping tablespoon of MG (5.6% ammoniacal nitro - 20-20-20 Master Gardner from Ace Hdwre) - in 5 gallons of water/week. Regular flood watering otherwise. They get root pruned every single spring, with a fillet knife. ..so I don't need to keep upping the pots (largest pots I can find). .. .even then, they're almost too heavy to lift. (Hence why I'm downsizing them). I already have buds on some of my Incas from Logees.

I love Logees (grin) I'm thinking about an Iochroma for the collection. Ha!