Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rock_oak_deer

A big show on the way!

rock_oak_deer
13 years ago

This morning I noticed some buds on my Flamenco and then more buds, 10 in all. I'm pretty much a newbie so three blooms is the biggest flush I've had at the same time. This is so exciting because it feels like taking the next step up in growing these beauties.

Comments (12)

• knotz
    13 years ago

That is SO cool!!!...My Flamenco cutting didn't make it...SOO excited to see your blooms!!

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Congratulations! :)

Karen

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

I can so identify with your excitement! That's wonderful and I can't wait to see!

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

How exciting Shirley, and congrats! I have not been successful in growing Flamenco. We will want to see pictures, of course.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The buds are looking good and no bugs have gotten them so hope to have pictures soon. We have so many more bugs here this year because it's cooler and wetter than normal. The butterfly cats got my one passie that made it through our record cold winter. At least we've been rewarded with tons of butterflies this year.

{{gwi:514876}}

We have one that looks like a wasp when flying but is very large and beautiful when it opens. No picture because it moves too much.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Bout the same here but the bugs are getting mine and the heat will make some drop but hoping to get at least one decent flush. Make sure you post pics so we can drool, lol. Pretty butterfly pic!

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Kristy,
    did the varigated one make it?
    Mine is about to flush with about 15 blooms.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

We're having a weird bug year here too. They even reported on the news: Sucking type insects are the worst around here this year (LOL)!

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Yes but I have it in the house, lol. Scared to take it out with the bugs, lol. If the mosquitoes are as bad at your house as they are here I'm not going to see you for a while. I had one land in a puddle of off today and sit there and suck my arm dry. Yuck. It rooted well in water. Gonna pot it up and maybe put it in the shade house. I might build it a little screened tent, lol.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I get chased back inside mornings and evenings, afternoons are hot but the bugs are scarce then.

A screen house in on our long term list of projects. I can also use it to winter over my plants. Not gonna happen this year though.

Roselee talked me into posting our work in progress garden, so follow the link to see what I've been up to besides brugs. Some others have posted their gardens as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: More progress

• karyn1
    13 years ago

How odd. We are having record breaking warm temps this spring and summer but have fewer bugs then average. I had a slug problem but that's about it. What I did just notice is a catalpa worm infestation which is happening later then normal. I was hoping that we wouldn't have them this year. Part of my deck is going to be covered in frass soon, yuck! I have to contact all the fishermen in the area and have them come and collect as many as they can. The catalpa worms (a type of sphinx moth caterpillar) are supposed to be some of the best bait.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Thanks for hooking up your post from the TX forum Shirley. I never would have seen it. I too love that "Texas Rock Star"!

Yuck is right, Karyn! Hope you do get some fishermen to collect all those worms.

Sponsored