Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Too Darn Hot!!!!!

karyn1
12 years ago

I didn't think it could get any worse around here but it has. It's felt like Aug since May. Yesterday's actual air temp was 106 and the heat index was 121. I haven't been outside any longer then it's taken me to water plants. I like the heat but this is even too much for me.

I see that pretty much everywhere is experiencing above average temps. I feel especially bad for folks in the NE who rarely get hot weather and don't have air conditioning.

Comments (31)

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

That is quite hot for your area so be careful when you do go out and work. I hear that those areas aren't cooling off at night as they usually would even on hot days so it's becoming a serious problem.

We started out hotter than usual in the early spring here and are just about normal now. We've even had fewer triple digit days than last year, so that's a plus.

The weather reports here don't focus on heat index much, hot is hot with or without humidity.

• chena
    12 years ago

Sucks here!!! Praying for us all!!!!!

Kylie

• Ament
    12 years ago

Ugh! Hot and Humid! Usually it's dry here. It's over 80, sweating and miserable. I went out long enough to water and came in with half my hair drenched. It'll be nice when it cools off some, July and it's like mid Aug. here. Not looking forward to next month... Hail, Tornados maybe and also Sturgis rally too? Yikes!

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

It's been unusual here in CO also, we've just had a few days break from 2 weeks of daily thunderstorms that produced torrential rain and hail, with unusual humidity for us. Normal values are from 10-20% (that's high) and it's been 60-80% humidity. Coloradans don't know how to deal with that! Today is supposed to only get to 88, what a break!

• kasha77
    12 years ago

104* here yesterday, heat index 110*. After working out in it til 1:00 pm- I went inside and 77* is too cold to me! I actually had to go back outside to warm up! Still sweating my brains out though. An afternoon nap is a necessity to recharge and go back out! 2 + hours to water everything. I'm working in the shade with a BREEZE, thank God! Still praying for rain- dark clouds come, thunder rumbles, then it passes over without a drop!
    kasha77

• rudy625
    12 years ago

Exactly the same here Kasha,hot as heck,humidity off the charts,dark clouds all around this morning,but nary a drop falls here. Most of my brugs are loaded with buds,but the buds are dropping like mad,even with constant watering and misting the leaves.Never thought I would be saying this,but I can't wait for cooler weather here in PA.
    Dan

• rudy625
    12 years ago

Seems like I spoke too soon,we are now having a tropical downpour,complete with thunder,lightning,high wind gusts,and the satalite tv is out,and the lights are flickering as if the power wants to go out.This is too weird.I fear that when the storm passes,the humidity will be unbearable. I guess the old saying,"be careful what you wish for,you might just get it" is true,this is really a bad storm,never saw anything like this weather in my 64 years.What's next,a blizzard in July ? ;>)
    Dan,in "we're not in Kansas anymore" PA.

• chena
    12 years ago

OOOO! stay safe!!!!

Just how HOT it is in Texas..

{{gwi:489888}}

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great pic. The news was showing clips of people cooking all kinds of stuff on sidewalks, roads and car hoods. It's a few degrees cooler today because it's cloudy but the heat index is still in the 100's, the humidity is high and the ground is bone dry. I'd take a downpour right about now.

My older kids are on their way to Israel for a swim meet and it's cooler in the Golan Heights then here!

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

We had a group go to Israel from church last week. One of them said today that if you are ever in Israel in July, you will never ever complain about the heat here again!! LOL!!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yesterday was 82 in Jerusalem which is cooler then normal but tomorrow is supposed to get back to average temps in the low 90's. I'd be grateful for the low 90's now. lol Actually upper 80's to mid 90's is average for July & Aug in this area.

• Ament
    12 years ago

It's nearly 90 here, 51% humidity currently with a 30% chance of rain later. Which I highly doubt it will do. We had the same chance the other day, lots of clouds came by, not a single drop fell. :( Oh and not much wind blowing either. We normally have winds at least 20mph here. Today 5mph winds.
    It'll get to mid 90's tonight, cool down to 70's and back up into 90's tomorrow, without any winds it doesn't feel like it is cooling off at all here. *sighs*

Sure hope everyone takes care and keeps cool. Stay safe everyone!

Tina

• SoTX
    12 years ago

Hot, indeed! 80 degrees at 2 A.M. is insane! Looks like a cold snap today--only 95 predicted. Not everyone in the South has air conditioning. I planted trees like mad when I first bought this place 12 years ago and use window fans to bring cool night air in (not much of right now).

I can work out in it long as the air is moving and my sweat band it not a fashion statement! Strange weather and Old Farmers Almanac is predicting a rough winter.

Drink lots of water & watch your electrolytes. Not doing so can put you in intensive care like it did me a couple of years ago.

• Ament
    12 years ago

And *Please* do not forget, certain medications can make your body react differently compared to a normal person out in the heat.

Example being, myself. On topamax I cannot sweat and cool properly. So being out in the heat or even inside in these high temps can be a risk. I have to be careful.

So please read your med warnings, obey them, be careful my friends, stay safe! :)

~Tina Marie

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Good Point Tina- I never thought of that! Thanks!
    Dan- I'd love that kind of a storm, as long as it brought rain! Rain usually drops the temps here by 10 - 15* and it stays cool for a few days after that. We have a 30% chance of showers today- ya never can trust those weather guys- the only folks I know who can be wrong all of the time and still get paid!! :)

• Ament
    12 years ago

I found out the hard way Kasha. I was baffled as to why I was having such a difficult time last year every time I'd go out and mow the lawn. LoL Doh! Misery, absolute misery! I learned my lesson. Certainly try harder this year, but I still manage to over do it some days. *grins sheepishly*

And you are right about the weather people! Yeesh! We had only 30% chance of possible rain the other day, boy were they wrong! It stormed, quite a bit too I might add! Haha! However, I wish it would rain a nice steady rain, not a heavy rain mind, just a steady one, oh, for a few hours... It sure would drop temps a good deal. :D

~Tina Marie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'd take any kind of rain, heavy, light, T-storm, sprinkle or steady. My H2O bill was over $500 again : ( It's still in the low 100's but the heat index is only about 106 because the humidity has dropped. Honestly I can't tell the difference from the 106 this week and the 121 last week. It's all too hot.

I even cancelled my trip to the beach because temps in Rehobeth are about the same and I don't want to sit on a sweltering beach with thousands of other sweaty people. My DS lives at the beach year round and is staying at her apartment here because she said it's too crowded in Rehobeth.

• threas
    12 years ago

I hear ya! Been going out and watering early and late. Even though I know it's not good for the plants at night, it's definitely better for me. :) We've been using the hot tub as a "Cool" tub. LOL

• pearlgirl
    12 years ago

I've been watering, WATERING....AND WATERING!!! I'm grateful
    just to have a deep well, however, I do use common sense. I
    rotate from the side, the middle....and to the other side. I
    only spot water the plants that must have a drink.
    We got a brief shower last evening. Hopefully, the clouds
    will bring in more today. I'm praying!!
    Don't let this heat get you down....stay hydrated. I'm
    sipping every 15 min.....makes me feel a lot better. Larry
    worries because I'm a work horse when I'm in the garden.
    Such peace in the garden you all!!

Margaret

• Ament
    12 years ago

I wasn't griping about the rain guys, Just that it wasn't a good rain here. When it storms like that, what happens here where I am is like a flash flood. It just flows away, elsewhere. So it didn't benefit my plants. What happened is I ended up with a large portion of the neighbor's driveway above my yards driveway partially in my yard and culvert. LoL

Pea gravel is miserable to try and clean up out of grass! Ugh! I still have tons of it out there. It's frustrating to say the least. Ah well! We've another storm forecasted for today, so those east of me may get it too.

I hope you folks get some rain! We all could really use it!
    Stay safe working out there in your gardens my friends. :)

~Tina Marie

• msmorningsong
    12 years ago

Tina Marie,
    Have you thought of setting up a rain barrel system to try and catch the occassional rains from your home's roof? They work great.
    We had a cistern when we lived out west, and that worked great, I don't know if you have that, but rainbarrels are wonderful gardening additions.

• mantorvillain
    12 years ago

I got a good bit done by pacing myself yesterday and there was a nice breeze but went out today and just couldn't stay out even just deadheading. But I fortunately have 2 new books.
    Humph, it's bad enough being trapped inside in Jan/Feb here in the northland, but I don't expect it now. Oh well, I'll spray myself good this evening if there's a breeze and try again.
    Stay safe everyone,
    Will

• Ament
    12 years ago

I did research on the rain barrels, also asked hubby to stop at a few car washes. However, I think I'm going to have to do the stop at the car washes. hehe I don't think he's all too interested in having to ask for them! lol No big deal, I'll just stop and ask for some next trip into town I have to make to see my dr. :D

Hubs installed some roll up rain gutters, I hate the things, leaves clog them up, they don't roll out properly either. So I'm going to just unhook them, clean them up and stuff them into the barrels once I get enough for each corner that has one. Plus I'm going to hide a few others from front view of the house to catch rain too. :) Easier on the water bill!

~Tina Marie

As always, do be safe in this miserable heat my friends!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's only 98 today. With the way the temps have been that's a cool front!

• chena
    12 years ago

111* here today!!! YEAH!!! I am just Proud of anything still holding it's head up..LOL What a Summer! YIKES!!!

Kylie

• rmbill
    12 years ago

I really feel sorry for most of the country that is so hot and dry. We are way above normal for temps here in Michigan but where I am, we have gotten rain every time when it got a little dry. I haven't had to water anything that is planted in the ground. Don't hate me!! My brugs (40) are 3-5 feet tall and lots of buds coming. I have had several individual blossoms but only Emerald Frost has flushed with 18 blossoms and she is LOADED with buds right now. I just went down to the garden and checked for buds and it is looking good on 10-12 plants. Even my bananas are looking good and I have figs on my fig plant. Life is good for this old guy.
    I hope the rest of the year is good for everybody to make it up for the first half.
    Bill

• Ament
    12 years ago

So can't wait to see the pictures from those Bill! :) It's going to be beautiful! :)

We had a storm split north and south of us yesterday and today. Faked me out thinking it would cool us off, but Nope! That happens alot where I am located, but I wouldn't leave the Black Hills unless I had to. It's gorgeous. :)

Like Bill, I hope the rest of the season improves for everyone.

~Tina Marie

• maile_2010
    12 years ago

97 here today with high humidity and rain storms. Sirens went off at 11 this am. 1 and one half inch of rain in 1 hr. today. More storms expected for tonight.
    Jerry

• chena
    12 years ago

Bill sounds like life is treating you good!!! Nice to hear!!
    Jerry that is great Let it Rain let it Rain let it Rain!!!!!

Kylie

• Ament
    12 years ago

Wow Jerry, that storm that whipped behind me must have blown up and got you guys. We had clouds roll through here in a NE direction so fast, spit a little rain. Temps were 96, humidity was about 98% and then after the sun went down temps dropped to 72 with a real nice breeze.

That was absolute heavenly after the regular temps at night here hovering at about the same as during the day!

~Tina Marie

• figara
    12 years ago

Feel sorry for all of you guys who have to endure such hot weather. Here in Bay Area the temps are a little bit cooler than normal. Mostly in the 70's to upper 70's. Perfect weather for me. Because cooler temps my vegy and all the plants are behind in growing. I am trying to root some plumeria and it takes forever because of the weather but I am not complaining. I like my weather.

Pat

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner