Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knotz_gw

Help!!...I'm stumped :(

knotz
12 years ago

I've tried Diatomaceous Earth, Systemic Insect granules, and Kelthane spray to get rid of the spider mites on my brugs and the SPIDER MITES ARE STILL WINNING!!

I'm almost ready to give up...Any suggestions??

I'm very sad :(

Comments (19)

• pagrdnr
    12 years ago

Something mite specific like Forbid, Avid, or Floramite is sometimes the only thing that will get rid of them.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I'm familiar with Forbid and Floramite. I'm not sure about Avid but the other two are mite specific and won't kill everything indiscriminately. They are excellent miticides but not inexpensive.

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

I've been using that oil spray, somebody help me here with the name, every few days. You have to keep on top of it. NEEM OIL! That's it!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

What's nice about Forbid and Floramite is that only one application is needed and only one surface of the leaf need be sprayed. It contains an ovacide so the eggs are taken care of as well as the adults.

• knotz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks SOOO much you guys!!...I'm going to get some Forbid...I'm sure it's worth the price...I REALLY don't wanna give up my brugs!!

You guys rock :)

knotz

• knotz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just looked online and can't see where to buy it...Does anyone know??...Or do I get it at my garden center.

Thanks AGAIN!! :)

• pagrdnr
    12 years ago

Sorry, I got a small vial on ebay a few years ago, and a small vial in a co op. It lasts a long time, needing only 1/8 to 1/4 tsp per gallon. I am not sure where to get it, surely somewhere online. It is actually meant for commercial applications, I think, not marketed towards home gardening use. I would search around and see if you can get in on a co-op somewhere, or see if you can buy a vial off of someone who has a whole bottle. I think a whole bottle runs about 300 bucks, and I can't imagine one person ever needing a whole bottle. I'll let you now if I come across any co-ops.

• pagrdnr
    12 years ago

I see you can buy small quantities on the BGI classifieds....but GW won't let me post a link.

• knotz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow the Forbid is TOO expensive for me...But it's ok...I'm trying vegie oil and dish soap in water...Gonna see how that works for now.

Thanks all for your help :)

knotz

• karyn1
    12 years ago

See if you can find Floramite. It's a little less expensive. See if you can find a co-op like was mentioned in the BGI classified or Ebay. A tiny amount will last a very long time. I found this online. 1oz for $24. I've never heard of this place but I'm sure you can find more. I get mine from DH's growers.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1 oz Floramite

• pagrdnr
    12 years ago

Do you have regular spider mites that you can see or broad mites that are making the foliage brittle and curled? The products Karyn and I mentioned are the only way I've been able to get rid of broad mites. For regular mites, sometimes just spraying the foliage down when you water helps keep them at bay, just make sure to get the underside of the leaves with a good blast too. Hopefully your oil/soap mix will smother them and dry them out so they go away.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I think Forbid is the only one effective against Broad mites. I don't think that Floramite kills them but I think that it's a slightly better miticide for the other types of mites.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Having any luck Knotz? I sure hope so! :)

• knotz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Doesn't look like my "mix" worked :( I just ordered some Forbid off ebay, we'll see how that goes....

Thanks again you guys for ALL your help!!

knotz

• Ament
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear that Knotz, good luck with the Forbid! :)

~Tina Marie

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Caren, sorry your mixture didn't work. Hope your order of Forbid comes soon so you can send those nasty bugs and their families to their grave!

• chena
    12 years ago

Lay your hose out in the sun blast the little buggers with that scorching water.. It will help a bit at least till your Forbid arrives..

Kylie

• mantorvillain
    12 years ago

Glad you found a source. I was going to suggest Ebay as that's the only place I've found w small enough quantities to not break the bank......nice to know about the BGI classifieds tho, I'll have to check there.
    Will

• danl8189
    12 years ago

I live in Northern California where the vineyards are full of spider mites, they come to us on the wind. I fought them for many years until i discovered the spray (can't remember the name and it is to dark to go to the green house now) It is an orange oil base, and is harmless to humans and animals. I find that usually one spraying with this gets them all, eggs included. Some times you will need a second spray. If you continue to get them look for a source other than your Brugs where they might be coming from. I am sure you can find this at any big box store. If you have them in the open air where they can get a little breeze that helps too.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH