Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fool4flowers

I hate bugs

fool4flowers
13 years ago

I finally had a lot of buds on a bunch of the brugs at one time and now something has eaten the tops of nearly every plant and a few look like swiss cheese. I'm guessing a new crop of green worms hatched but don't know what mowed the tops out of the others. Something is boring into the flower buds and killing them too. Boohoo.

Comments (19)

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

YUCK! I HATE WORMS! I hate the spidermites I can't get control of too. They're ruining my potted plants. Interesting, the inground ones are not bothered. Sorry Kristy!

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I caught one thing grazing. Its an eastern lubber grasshopper. Its yellow and black striped and was feasting on my peacock ginger. I wonder if he has friends grrrr. I saw one at Kylies house. Maybe he hitched a ride home with me lol. Hope he is still out there when John gets home so he can kill it. I'm scared of it. The thing is huge, lol.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

IT's like squashing a mouse they're so big and firm (not that I've ever squashed a mouse but I'm just guessing)!!

• ruth_ann
    13 years ago

Earwigs will borrow into buds to escape the dryness and heat of the day here at my house. :(

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I couldn't find old yeller again when John got home but I went out and stripped about 5 plants and found all sorts of different color caterpillars besides the green worm kind. I have to look up earwigs. Never seen those before. How do you find them? I had sooo many buds on Cassies Curls and they are all turning brown with holes in them. I hate to spray in there because most of them are in the shade house and the lizards are doing a good job with smaller stuff like spider mites so I don't want to hurt them. The ones with the tops chewed off are outside though. I washed each top out good with water and found a bunch of brown stuff that looked like poop inside the new leaves.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I've never seen a grasshopper on my brugs. I haven't really seen many grasshoppers in at least 10 years but I'm certainly not going to complain. I occasionally find earwigs but they've never seemed to cause much damage. The main brug culprit here are the slugs.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Hope you get a handle on what's chewing up your brug blooms Kristy. I looked up eastern lubber grasshopper -- that sucker is huge! Next time to go visit Kylie, take it back, lol!

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the first time I have seen one of those here. I wouldn't have known what it was if I hadn't seen hers. Its starting to sound like her house in the evening. I'm afraid they are multiplying, lol. It sounds like a bad movie outside with all the racket they are making. Have a lot of those bugs that crack open and leave the shell stuck to the plants too. I thought they were only supposed to come out every 10 years or something, lol. Been just hosing everything off everyday and doing the best I can that way. I just don't feel like using poison on the plants right now. Having to spray myself with off is bad enough. I am going to have to spray the yard for mosquitoes. I can't stand to go outside for more than a few minutes and the off is making me itch. I have to use saucers under a lot of my plants and can't find all the hiding spots but those monsters are having wild parties out there, lol.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

There's 2 kinds of cicadas, annual and periodic (the shells Kristy mentioned). The ones people think about are the 13 and 17 year variety. The last emergence we had was in 2004 so we won't see them again until 2021. 17 year cicadas are mainly in the north and 13 year in the south. When the periodic cicadas emerge it's in the millions. The annual cicada numbers are a fraction of that, at least in the states. They don't eat anything. The only problem is when the females deposit their eggs in tree branches. That's your cicada lesson for the day. lol

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Well, thank you very much teacher, lol! I was wondering what Kristy was talking about.

Kristy, for mosquitoes, have you tried using the Bounce sheets? Not 100% sure if it works, but I have done it a couple of times and thought it did. I have the Costco brand fabric softener sheets and just put one inside my top unless it has a pocket and one either in pant/short pockets or tied around a belt loop. I am also using the Avon Skin So Soft daily to keep mosquitoes and fleas off me! Good luck.

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It sounds like a whole herd of something is making racket out there, lol. They are loud. Must be the man eating crickets, lol. I don't mind the cicada's so much. They just scare the crap out of me when go to lift a leaf up and BOOO there he is, lol. I will try the dryer sheets tomorrow. I am wondering if all the deet is whats making me sick. I know its making me itch.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Kristy, as you know, deet is not good for us. I wonder if they make a small-netted outfit that would protect us from head to toe for when we go outdoors, LOL! Man eating crickets; you better stay indoors then!

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its a miracle! John sprayed this stuff Cutter backyard bug control with the hose end sprayer just lightly all around the yard and in the greenhouse and I walked around outside with not a single bug bite! Thank you lord I couldn't even stand to water anymore. I'm taking a bottle with us this weekend to spray around the campsite at the beach, lol. Rented a camper to take Morgan since she will be going home soon. Can't handle the tent thing anymore. At least not during the summer, lol. Hope we find some pretty shells and catch some fish.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Have a good time. The camper is a very sane idea. I don't camp. I do hotels. I went camping with a friend's family when I was about 16 and got up in the middle of the night and hitch hiked to a Holiday Inn. lol

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Have fun on your beach trip and taking Morgan back, Kristy. Karyn, your camping experience is funny.

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roflmao Karyn. Now if we don't get hit with the tropical storm we will be good.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Kristy, we have grasshoppers at the coast, never had them before. I pick them off, and give them to the little girl behind me, she calls them turtle food. If you are camping on the beach, be sure and take a plastic pan, put water inside, and step in it before you go inside your tent. It keeps sand outside the tent. Also take baby powder and dust your body, it keeps the sand off you. Try these, it will make your trip alot nicer. Barbra

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Had a great time at the beach and no bugs bit me there either, lol. Worn out but had a good time. I have some pics to post later. Caught all sorts of cool fish. Only bad thing was no plants for sale on the island, lol. By the time we left couldn't get hubby to stop at a Lowes anywhere to check the clearance rack since we were pulling the camper.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Kristy, the Lowes in Aranasa Pass, never has anything in the clearance rack. The manager only marks down for her friend. The employees told me about it, but I have seen it with my own eyes twice. She marks down great plants, usually 4 seperate 4 shelf racks for this lady. So, if the Island is Port A, then you just saved time. If you want deals at Lowes, San Antonio, is the place to come. Yesterday, I went and they had their hugh Queen Palm trees marked down. I got them for $10 each. The small ones were $4. I needed 4 to replace the Royal Palms I lost this past winter. I know better than planting in July or August. I think the palm trees will be ok, I just need to get the old stumps out. I went to get seed starter, but the palm trees were in the front, I had to actually walk over there to make sure I was reading the sale sign correctly. Barbra

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES