Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Unhappy with blooms so far

karyn1
12 years ago

None of my brug blooms are what they should be. It's likely due to the miserable weather we've been having.

Super Spot isn't coloring up. This is it's 3rd day and the bloom is still light.

{{gwi:519360}}{{gwi:519362}}

Halo Peach is light pink.

{{gwi:519364}}

Sam has mottled color and the inner skirt hasn't dropped on any so far.

{{gwi:519366}}{{gwi:519368}}{{gwi:519370}}

All have more buds so I'm hoping they look better and several others are just now getting buds. I just have to wait and see.

Comments (6)

• marquest
    12 years ago

Any blooms would look good to me now. I had two flushes by now last year.

Keep posting I will enjoy your blooms even if you think they are not the best. LOL

• pagrdnr
    12 years ago

At least they're blooms! I had a few blooms, but now I finally have a bunch of stuff in bud so the show should be starting soon.

• chena
    12 years ago

The only one outside blooming in way lighter in color than normal I think it is just the heat!

Kylie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Its so hot here, my brugmansia are just about 1 ft tall. I have taken more care than ever, with no results. Some plants from last year have not even come up. They show signs of life, and put on leaves that just die once they come out. This is the strangest year ever. I usually have alot of plants blooming, especially hibiscus, but so far only plumeria, bouganvilla, or desert roses are blooming.
    The banana's are usually 5 ft tall, but now are only 1 ft tall with burned leaves, not a pretty sight. I think I will have to wait until the fall to see any brugmansia blooms. Barbra

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can sympathize with you about the heat. We're having the hottest summer I can recall. It felt like Aug in May and hasn't improved. This week the heat index is ranging from 105-115 with actual air temps in the low 100's. Thankfully my plants are doing surprisingly well but only because I'm watering constantly. I'm probably going to the beach next week and I'm sure most will be dead or close to it when I return. I'm almost tempted not to go.

• rialira
    12 years ago

huh, I thought it was just my imagination! it feels like something's just WRONG this year. I'm guessing it's because of the wild weather swings we've been having, but still, everything leafy just looks absolutely miserable in ways I've never seen before.

I'm pleased to be getting normal looking flowers on two of my brugs, but others just flat out refuse to grow leaves, much less buds. more than half of them are less leafy than they normally are in like, late march or early april.

but perennials and wild plants that are in-ground are looking the worst. my boyfriend's grandmother's lilies were brown and rotten at the base and the flowers were deformed (she's grown them for many years and never seen them like that), and the leaves of the skunk cabbage in the woods here that are normally thick and lush? are all tiny, yellow/brown and broken looking.

I just can't figure it out! bizarre.