Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Misc Pics mostly OT pic heavy

karyn1
13 years ago

Some stuff blooming when I got home except for the brug (swingtime) which opened the day I left. It should have turned yellow as it aged.

{{gwi:519741}}

{{gwi:519743}}

{{gwi:519744}}

{{gwi:519745}}

{{gwi:519746}}

{{gwi:519747}}

{{gwi:519748}}

{{gwi:519749}}

{{gwi:519750}}

{{gwi:519751}}

{{gwi:519752}}

There's hundreds of these little frogs all over the yard and they especially like hanging out on the brugs.

{{gwi:519753}}

{{gwi:519754}}

My new cacao tree

{{gwi:519755}}

{{gwi:519758}}

kids

Comments (15)

• threas
    13 years ago

Lovely, Karyn! What are #1, #8,? I love the little froggies! Are they noisy? Your new cacoa tree is gorgeous! Will you be able you harvest it to get chocolate? What is the variegated (is that a Fuchsia")? And the last flower, is that a Kholeria? I killed mine...:( I recognize that cutie, Kyle, are your other two in those photos? Glad you had fun!

Theresa

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

1 is a strophanthus preussii, 8 is some kind of clematis. The flowers are a pale blue but they look white in the pic. I picked up that variegated fuchsia at Pepper's for $12. It was labeled incorrectly as are many of their plants but it appears to be a V. fulgens though the blooms are a bit lighter. I don't know if the cacao will get any pods but I thought the flowers were knd of cool. I have seen a cacao get seed pods in a greenhouse in this area so it is possible. That's a kohleria Brimstone. Did you lose the Temple Bells I sent? I can send another when I divide it again. The girl in the blue/green bikini and the boy in the blue tee are my others. The two other kids are their friends that came with us.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Welcome Home! I'm back too. Everything looks great and you got that 7' tree home! LOL! I love the froggies, we had them in Florida. Now, what is the 3rd photo? That 2tone blue is to die for and I must have some. Must.
    Diane

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

So lovely Karyn! I need to grow more basket flower! The clerodendrum (SP) is so pretty, love the blue. What is the orange/red one 4 below the persimmon?

It looks like the kids were having a blast. Did Kyle get sand burns?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Diane that's a Clerodendron ugandense. I should have a few ripe seeds in a couple weeks and can send you some.

The daisy looking thing is a coreopsis and the star shaped weird one is a huernia. It's similar to a stapelia but isn't stinky. The stapelias smell pretty bad and I might not be able to walk into the greenhouse when the giant stapelia (7th below persimmon) blooms in a day or two.

The kids had a great time especially the older ones because this is the first time they didn't have a cerfew. The boys anyway. The girls could stay out as late as they wanted only if they were with the boys, otherwise they had to be in at 12:30. Kyle emerged from the sand unscathed. lol

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

You have a Kyle too! The family is great looking and the beach looks very inviting. I'd love a couple seeds. Can I grow it indoors? Or is it a cold hardy perennial?

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Wonderful plants and pictures! I love persimmons, but haven't gotten one yet. My DD has a large one at their home plus a cherimoya, but they don't care for them :-(. The kids look like they had a grand time as you did in buying new plants. That fushia is a great bargain!

• byrd4460
    13 years ago

extraordinarily impressive!!!

Chocolate Brug

• gottahosta
    13 years ago

Oh, you have an incredible collection of stinky plants and it is always amazing to see the variety of plants you collect! How cool to have the means to keep a cocao tree and have it producing fruit.
    Your family had a fun day @ the beach, looks like! Great looking kids!
    Get ready for the blast of July heat coming your way- we are getting it tomorrow ! Looks like more beach days are in order!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We got the heat alright. 104 this afternoon and the humidity made it seem like 115. Not quite sure how they determine that. Hot is hot, period. I love the stapelias and huernias. They are so easy to grow. You just take a piece stick it in the dirt and ignore it.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Glad everything including the kids survived the vacation, lol. Looks like you all had a great time. I need to take Morgan to do something before she leaves. Wish we could go to Seaworld but don't think I could handle driving down there and then all the walking.

• pagrdnr
    13 years ago

Great pics. I really like #! I'll have to look it up.

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

Great pictures!! as always, I have around 7 brugmansias, but they look rather poor, Oh the ones I got from prince are looking great! they look like they are taking, tomorrow I will take pictures and post in the evening, this week I am supposed to do a lot of work I am off from work the WHOLE week!! so House work catch up yard work too,a trip to the big city is in order, will go to New Braunfels to the nursery, I was up there Saturday and went to seguin Sunday to the nursery Prince mentioned but as luck would have it they were close for the 4th of July, they do have a bunch of flowers in their landscape very nice too. will try to go there again sometime soon I just don't know how soon. Marcie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shawn check Zone 9 Tropicals or Gardino's for the Strophanthus preussii. Logee's has it listed under the wrong name. They are calling it Climbing Oleander which is Strophanthus gratus. TT also has it listed but I'd never buy from them either. It's also called a Poison Arrow vine and was used to make the poison to tip spears and arrows in Africa. Strophanthus's are difficult to find. I've been collecting them for several years and have only found about 5 different ones. I really want my Strophanthus boivinii to bloom already.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I second zone9tropicals. I get the best plants from them especially the vines.
    karyn, sounds like everyone had a great time. Your kids just get cuter and cuter every year :)