Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's eating my Datura?

Posted by valentinetbear z6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 17:41

I know this is about Angel's Trumpets, but where else do I ask about Devil's Trumpets? I know Devil's Trumpet is poisonous, but whatever is eating it doesn't know it. Nor does it/do they seem to be dying from the effort.

Two weeks ago, they stripped the leaves off the plants. Last week, we had our first bloom, albeit the bottom was cut off a bit, because that was chewed on, before it bloomed. We had two more blooms since and three new buds. (The photo shows the third bloom.) Last night, something pulled the buds off and left them on the bottom of the pot.

Any clues what's going on or how to deal with this? They're poisonous! This shouldn't be happening without little dead bodies somewhere near by. lol

I know. I keep thinking, "It's poisonous! This can't happen!" BUT, it has.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's eating my Datura?

Do you see white cabbage moths (small butterflies) floating around your gardens? They're the ones doing the dirty work! They lay their eggs on the underside of the leaves of both Brugs and Daturas (they're cousins) and the little green worms eat happily away, mostly at night. You can see them if you look closely. Spray with BT (bacillus thuringensis)or hand pick. By the way- your photos didn't show up! Could be the buds were ready to fall off. They land all over the place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here