Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

Variegated Snowbank brug reverting to green?

kasha77
13 years ago

Has anyone had the experience of their variegated Snowbank Brug reverting back to green? I potted mine up last fall & put it in the basement. It died down in the pot. I had the pot labeled, and when I took it out in the spring, it grew into a HUGE green leaved specimen. It's the largest dark green leaved brug that I own. I was just reading Daves' Garden, and saw that this happened to someone else too. How is this possible? Is there anyway I can get it to revert to varigated again? If I pollinate it and take seeds from it, will I get the varigation in the offspring?

Thanks!

kasha77

Comments (9)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I've had cuttings from a variegated brug revert to solid green but never with Snowbank and never the original plant. Just cuttings and sports. Once they've gone green mine have never switched back to the variegated form. The same thing happened with some variegated chalice vine cuttings that I took last season. They reverted to the solid green form but one has begun to put out variegated foliage again. Seeds from a variegated brug won't give you a variegated plant and I think that there's something about variegated brug seeds not being viable. I'm not exactly sure what I heard but it was something odd though I have no idea if it's a fact or not.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info Karyn- I was hoping you'd chime in. Do you know who Snowbank's parents are? I'd like to study them. Could I use Snowbank's pollen to pollinate another brug to produce seeds? How do folks create a variegated Brug? It's all so fascinating! I'm still learning, and would love to create an exceptional Brug someday. Thanks again!
    kasha77

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I believe that variegated brugs are the result of a sport from a normal green foliage plant. I think that Terra Nova nursery holds the patent on Snowbank.

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

I have a P&C (I think) that for the past two seasons, always
    sends up a nice yel/cream shoot. I wish it would stay that
    color and grow into a mature plant. Someone on this forum
    told me that it probably would not root. Right now it is at
    least 15"x15".

Margaret

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Margaret if the shoot doesn't have any green in the foliage it won't survive if separated from the mother plant because it needs chlorophyll (green pigment) to manufacture food. If the shoot has at least some green there's a good chance that you can root it as a separate plant.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh that's right Karyn- I forgot- my Snowbank did have a tag with the patent on it. I won't try to propagate it.
    Thanks-
    kasha77

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I guess I'm evil but I've taken cuttings of my Snowbank for friends. I really don't see anything wrong with that though I do understand that it is illegal. It's not like I'm taking cuttings to make a profit.

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

Yes, Karyn...YOU were the person that gave me this info before. Thanks! This time, I'm leaving it on to see what
    happens :)
    Margaret

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I've noticed on some of my variegated plants that if I keep them in a lot of sun they get more green on them especially the newer branches etc. If I move them back to a shadier spot the other colors come back.