Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenofeden777

Extremely variegated Snow Bank (w/ pics)

gardenofeden777
11 years ago

Hi I have a Snow Bank brug. that has been planted in the same spot for several years. It has always just had one stalk, but last year I put compost at its base. And this year it has 3 stalks. 2 are regular but one is very variegated. You can see that it is a little shorter I suppose due to just a little chlorophyll however it does have some green in it. O.K. now for my question if I cut this stem off to root it will it stay like it is now or will it revert back to reg. variegation? Is this a sport or just a temp. diversion from normalcy? Thank you very much for your replies! Rena'

Comments (11)

• kasha77
    11 years ago

Hi Rena- Sorry, but if you separate this sport, it will probably die because it can't produce any chlorophyll to feed itself. Most folks just cut albinos off so they won't put a drain on the parent plant. Snowbank died back and reverted to solid green for me one winter. I do love Snowbank though!

• rudy625
    11 years ago

It won't live if you cut it off. It lacks the ability to produce food due to the lack of cholorphyll. I would cut it off and discard it,if not,it will suck nutrients from the rest of the plant,because it can't feed itself,and the plant will decline. Sorry,but it is a parasite,as far as plants go.

• rudy625
    11 years ago

Hey Kathy,great minds think alike,seems we posted at the same time ;>)
    Dan

• rudy625
    11 years ago

Kathy, Rudy is a sport of P &C,it came in solid green,and since it produces much more chlorophyll than it's mom,it is a much stronger plant,grows much faster,and the scent is much stronger than P &C.
    Dan

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well dang it, I was hoping to get some good news. Well I wouldn't want to sacrifice the mother plant just for the sake of enjoying the pretty white foliage. I'll cut it tomorrow, should I treat the cut afterwards on the mother plant to keep it from losing vital moisture? It is in dense shade about 75% - 85% of the time.

And thank you Kathy and Dan for your prompt and friendly answers! Rena'

• rudy625
    11 years ago

Rena,
    You don't really have to treat the cut,but,if it will make you feel better:>),you can dust the cut with some ground cinnamon powder from your spice rack. It's a natural fungicide,will dry up the cut,and prevent rot. May sound weird,but it works,after all,what do you think the old timers used before all these chemical companies popped up? Mother Nature is much better than toxic chemicals that destroy the enviornment and poison or kill everything in sight. Plants have been around for billions of years,chemical companies,maybe 100 or so years,I'll take natural over man-made anytime,but that's just my opinion.
    Happy growing !!!!!
    Dan

• rudy625
    11 years ago

Forgot to add,if you decide to use the cinnamon,get a cheap one from the Dollar Store,no need to buy the brand names,a rose is a rose is a rose.
    Dan

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Dan, will do. I don't like chemicals either.

I have lived in the country all my life and the crop dusters dump
    their poisons all over everywhere as people have homes next to fields the wind carries that stuff. When I was 12 (I'm 38 now) I started developing strange health issues. When I was 16 they were very evident. When I was 25 I began having seizures, was in a wheelchair, in and out of a normal state of mind. Lost the ability to read, didn't know my family. It was dreadful! What a trooper my husband is! May 7 of this year made 8 years that I have been seizure free (no meds, that stuff is just about the devil incarnate itself). MS was what I was diagnosed with. My Mom tells me that when I was a baby that when the crop dusters would dust the crops all around us that I would be sick to my stomach the entire day afterwards. I believe there is a connection between the 2 if not the cause. My Mom also has MS. I strongly believe that chemicals are causing all sorts of maladies with people, bees & animals. People do not believe me when I tell them I believe that so many diseases are caused by the poisons that we've created and that we are to blame for so many diseases afflicting us. As a kid we played in the fields bare footed!

I live nowhere near fields and if all of a sudden the hundreds of acres of woods around me were turned into fields well I would rather be homeless under a bridge than to ever live anywhere near crop dusting planes again. lol

Well sorry for the long spill Dan! lol All's well that ends well! Here's to a chemical free life!
    Rena'

• kasha77
    11 years ago

Rena- your story is completely amazing and so disturbing! You should really write about it widespread to make others aware of the dangers of it. It may give clues to others who are suffering from the same thing but don't realize it! So happy for you that you are SO much better now. Thank God. How did you get free from all of that without medicine? Had to be a miracle!
    Dan- duh- that's right- you said it was a sport of P&C! Can't wait to smell it! P&C is incredible! Thanks again for the trade!

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Kathy a miracle for which I thank the Lord for every day! I now have so much compassion on people that are sick & diseased. And I do speak at churches telling people not to give up hope no matter what they are facing but stay strong and too believe for a better tomorrow. When I was sick I used to tell people "this is my today but it won't be my tomorrow!" For if we have no hope then we have nothing. But if we have THE hope we have everything!

I know every time that I pass by a home
    in the middle of a field or with fields all around sadness fills my heart. The poisons from the herbicides & pesticides dropped by the crop dusters are everywhere. Years ago when I was really young I worked at a convenience store, one of the men who brought the gasoline deliveries to the store had no nose. He had cancer because he had been working delivering gas for 20 years. He didn't cover the hole he just left it exposed.

The chemicals we depend on are dangerous. I know that we need food and if every crop was organic I suppose the cost of reg. things would just be unreachable for so many items.
    There is no easy solution. And we have to have people delivering gas but surely there must be a mask or something that those poor men could be given to protect them from the fumes.

So many things in life are quite complicated. (sighs)
    Thankfully not all!

Rena'

• kasha77
    11 years ago

Hi Rena- thank you for your comforting words. I'm sure you edify a lot of people, you go girl! I love this saying-
    ""this is my today but it won't be my tomorrow!" For if we have no hope then we have nothing. But if we have THE hope we have everything!" I totally agree!
    My son was so saddened that I was on a cane. I told him, "I'm not getting old, I'm just injured and will get better!" I believe... God has done so many things for me in my lifetime, this will just be one more thing to glorify Him!!
    I've never had to experience heavy dust cropping, although sometimes the farmer across the road does spray once in a great while, not enough to notice. Oh that poor man with no nose! I can't even imagine that! Well, keep spreading the word Rena! It's an awesome privilege to be used by Him!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor