Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sun exposure for brugmansia in phoenix

Posted by ram6260 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 22:17

Purchased two brug cuttings a month ago and have them growing in pots under my citrus trees. They are doing fine but should they be getting more light?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sun exposure for brugmansia in phoenix

Hi ram, I'm in Tucson and have very limited brug experience, but I would say if they don't look leggy leave them right there in the shade.

I have mine on the porch, facing north, and it bloomed last year. (This year it lost its leaves to mites, but that's another story.)

I did move it to a little more sun last year after it bloomed in September, but several of its leaves quickly fried. So if you do need to give them more sun, do so very gradually and keep an eye out for how they respond. Phoenix is even hotter than Tucson!

o

Thanks for the response. I plan to move them gradually into the sun as it cools off. I have grown these before and got discouraged by how they seemed to struggle through the heat of the summer. My little cuttings are surviving so far. Giving them plenty of water. Have them in small pots and have them on drip with 2 waterings a day. Getting fed through injectors in the drip system. I have found it interesting that brugs struggle here but daturas grow like weeks in full sun.

o

I am not in Arizona, but North Texas where the temps are in the triple digits a lot in July and August, and I grow all my brugs in filtered sun with the exception of Dr. Seuss. He is a sun lover and as long as he has the required amount of water, he just laughs at the sun. A lot of the hybrids cannot take much direct sun at all, so I would say you would need to know the parentage of your brug before you decide where to put it. Ideally, they like cool nights and warm days, but that just isn't in the cards for me where I live. Good luck with getting yours placed in the proper amount of direct sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here