Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvmy3afhounds

OT: Patio Container Jungle

luvmy3afhounds
14 years ago

Here are some photos I took tonight after I watered... of my Patio Container Jungle!

My newest favorite plant is the Stromanthe TrioStar (2nd pic)! I am nuts about variegated or colorful foliage! Some of the seedlings shown are from the traveling seedbox as well as some from my SS's last year. I have so enjoyed growing these! The camera flash whites out the front of the pics so don't think the plants are chlorotic! LOL!!!

Happy Gardening!

Joyce

{{gwi:526819}}

{{gwi:526820}}

{{gwi:526821}}

{{gwi:526822}}

{{gwi:526823}}

{{gwi:526824}}

Comments (15)

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Hey Joyce All looks great!
    I like the color of the 2nd also!
    I have my back porch full of containers.
    My DH says I'm taking over his grill area. LOL
    Hugs
    Dorothy

• luvmy3afhounds
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Clickables that should work now....just in case you would like a close up view!!!

{{gwi:526823}}
    {{gwi:526824}}
    {{gwi:526819}}
    {{gwi:526820}}
    {{gwi:526821}}
    {{gwi:526822}}

• sibhskylvr
    14 years ago

Joyce

Everything looks great! I'm not very good at taking pics in the dark - but you seem to have it going on! :)

Mike

• marquest
    14 years ago

Luv I love varigated foliage also. I am in constant hunt for anything with beautiful foilage. Your patio jungle looks beautiful.

I also brought Stromanthe TrioStar. I saw it in a book 6 yrs ago and have always wanted it but could not find one when I saw this one in a huge pot I was jumping for joy. I am collecting colorful foilage for my sunroom for this winter to chase the blues away. LOL Are you going to bring your TrioStar in for the winter?

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Joyce that is wonderful container growing.

Got the whole yard full of them lol

I love the 3rd picture vine? I did enlarge but DH distracted me and now I forgot the name lol

You must still be camping outside with all that beauty surrounding you

Lucy

• luvmy3afhounds
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucy,
    The pink vine and white vine are Mandevilla, the yellow one is Allamanda nerifolia. Hope your DH distracted you in a good way! LOL!
    I do spend lots of time outside. The other night I was finishing mowing with a flashlight. That was not fun but I didn't want to have to mow the next day. I mow very slowly.
    Take care,
    Joyce

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Oh Joyce did you have to mention mowing before I had my 1st cup a coffee? lol
    High time for me to cut also. But in the mornings I water it to grow (just kidding only water the flowers) and in the evening I am still to beat from it lol

Man I am looking forward to cooler weather!! But the evenings do get better at times now and that is why I fertilized last night in the back and I only have the front left.

I hope you got a riding lawn mower Joyce!!!!? We need one of those miners hat lights...just strap in on our forehead and GO rofl

Lucy

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

How does the stromanthe do in the house over winter? I thought they needed a lot of humidity. I've seen them used as ground covers in tropical areas. Stunning.

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Beautiful Joyce!

• marquest
    14 years ago

Dave I have been able to keep the plants that need a lot of humidity by putting them in the bathroom in the evening so they get the humidity from the showers and I have steam heat which is not as drying as forced air.

I will find out this winter.

• luvmy3afhounds
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marquest/Dave,
    I had bought a small Stromanthe TrioStar on Ebay a couple of months ago. It is growing in the house. It has only put out one new leaf so it is not an ideal situation although I mist it daily. I enjoy watching the leaves go up and down at various times during the day. I read an article about it. I need to figure out how I am going to over winter the two that are outside. I went nuts on Ginger this year so I will need to figure out what to do with the ones that don't go dormant. They are all in containers. I am just enchanted with this Stromanthe!
    Lucy, I used to have one of those miners lights like you are talking about. I need to look for one as you ought to see me holding the flashlight between my legs or under my armpit while I am working on plants at night and my other hand is being used! LOL!!!
    Joyce

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Joyce lol you are serious aren't you ha ha ha Actually my son has one too. He is a electrician and needs it when he crawls up in attics . Of course his looks a lot better then what I am picturing... lol I think if the neighbors see me with THAT...they are ready to call the cops on me ha ha ha

Lucy

• rigo74
    14 years ago

Love all the colors.

Rigo

• marquest
    13 years ago

Bump

Luv how did your Stromanthe Triostar do over the winter?

I kept mine in the bathroom and it did very well.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

Very pretty. I just love patio gardens where you can sit outside and enjoy everything on these cooler nights.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH