Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Mother Nature is out to get me!

karyn1
12 years ago

This is not a good year for my brugs. First we have the unseasonably hot temps. Then the stinkbugs. Now that it's cooled down everything is knocked all over HeII because of the earthquake and to top it off hurricane Irene is expected to hit by Sunday : ( I'm just hoping that the buds on AGD and Dbl L'Amour either open or at least hold. Those are the only two I'm really interested in. I have some others blooming but I really want to see those 2. Last season I only got a couple from Dbl L'Amour and that was after I moved it so they were a bit washed out and all the AGD buds dropped. At least most of my other plants have done well.

Comments (14)

• plantlover49
    12 years ago

Karyn
    I hope hurricane Irene misses you, it has been a bad year
    for my Brugs also, I still have green Cats eating on mine
    I have had less Bloooms on everything this year because of the heat, well Girl stay safe

Elizabeth

• gymnmore
    12 years ago

I felt the same way yesterday. Too, too hot for to long, and very dry......Then we finally get some rain, with 60 mph winds. The yard is a mess. I truely hope that Irene changes course and goes out to sea. Our thoughts are with everyone in it's path.
    ~ Judy

• maile_2010
    12 years ago

You do not need the hurricane and all the crap associated with the storm. Hope your brugs fair well.
    Jerry

• ruth_ann
    12 years ago

Stay safe!

• MrSaker
    12 years ago

I have been thinking the same thing! Have a family friend in the area got my first one from her, she was saying the same thing a few days ago. Trying to think where I can put mine out of harms way when/if Irene hits me. I haven't seen the stinkbugs eating mine, did catch a caterpillar of some kind after the fact on a very small new one that I don't have high hopes of surviving. Sprayed organic soap spray all around on what's left of the poor thing... Bugs haven't been a issue for me this year, but the weather just hasn't been kind.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Go figure! We had rented a home on Nags Head NC for this Sat., but they've evacuated everyone from that area- that is where Irene is supposed to first hit landfall in the U.S. We'll go the following Monday to see what's happened. Our new granddaughter Bella and her mommy and daddy and family are in Richmond, and so is other son. Prayers go out for everyone's safety in Irene's path- and I hope God blows it right out to sea without any more damage!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good news is the storm has been downgraded so the damage should be less then originally anticipated and it's supposed to be very fast moving. Winds are only supposed to be 30-50 mph. There's a chance of wind/flood damage and power outages are expected but I don't expect serious damage. I'm sure the plants will get knocked around and I'll likely lose some but I'm not going to worry about trying to protect anything. It's just beginning to get nasty out here. I hope these last predictions are correct. Good luck to everyone in Irene's path.

• vajeff
    12 years ago

I hope you made it through ok! We had gusts to about 85 mph. My brugs (and other plants) were flattened and flooded. The largest was on its side, and I was afraid it had snapped at the base, but it hasn't wilted yet. It's covered in buds too... I'm going to try to stake it without damaging it any further. Really looking forward to the blooms if it survives.

An earthquake and a hurricane... in the same week. Definitely not the best week ever in Va! To top it off, I read that there is -another- tropical storm brewing out there. What's the world coming to?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We survived with minimal damage. We didn't have wind gusts that high. The problem here were the sustained winds at 30-50 MPH for over 12 hours. Anything with big leaves like the bananas were shredded, buds lost, especially brug,s and some of the taller plumerias were horizontal but all in all it wasn't too bad. Hope your brug makes it. If it is snapped at the base I'd just cut it and root the stem. You'll get new growth from the base too.

I spoke with friends that have a couple home in the Outer Banks. They found out that their homes weren't damaged but they can't get to them. I guess some bridges were washed out or something.

• vajeff
    12 years ago

That's great. Thank goodness it wasn't as bad as forecasted.

The brug is fine so far. I staked it, and despite a bit of leaning it seems to have perked up a bit.

I heard Manteo got hit hard with 4ft of flooding. A friend's cottage in Nags Head had flood damage and the roof needed repair. And to think that I was thinking about moving to there... I love it down there, but the risk of weather related damage scares me off.

(How are you growing plumeria in zone 7a? Containers? I was thinking about trying to grow some, but I'm afraid I might not get them to overwinter.)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All my plumeria are container grown. Some people in the colder zones sink the pots during the growing season. I don't. They are easy to over-winter but take up an awful lot of space. You can't cut them back like you do with other plants. That's one of the reasons I only grow a few now. They can be kept dormant in a basement or just just about anywhere that remains above 40. Most naturally go dormant in the winter regardless of temp. You just restrict the amount of water they get while dormant. They get even less then my dormant brugs.

• vajeff
    12 years ago

Sounds fairly easy. My biggest challenge would be trying to move a 6ft+ plant up steps and through a door. I think I'll give it a try anyway.

Thanks!

• chena
    12 years ago

Vajeff... That is why you have neighbors or a dolly!!! Plummies are great to grow easy and very rewarding...

Call me Crazy but I would trade you our weather for yours in a heart beat!!.. I KNOW!!!!! Just tired of 105* and eatin dust and dirt! (insert ugly word)

Glad everyone is safe!!!!!!

Kylie

• Ament
    12 years ago

Wow am I glad you all are safe. I was worried and unable to contact anyone. No pc, hubby had it with him up at the farm. He went up for 3 weeks to help with harvesting. Hail blew through there the other night, knocked out a lot of farmers crops but Uncles crops were alright. Just so glad to hear you all are safe! Sorry about your plants everyone! I've been so looking forward to pictures! :(

Tina

Sponsored