Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Storm Damage

karyn1
12 years ago

Thankfully Irene had been downgraded by the time she reached here and the damage wasn't nearly as bad as anticipated. We lost power over the weekend and plants were blown around but I don't think I lost any. I did lose almost every brug bud and buds off many other varieties. A few plumerias are kind of horizontal and my bananas are tattered but nothing terrible. This is the first major storm that trees haven't come down onto our property. I'm sure our insurance agent was expecting a call. lol Driving around after the storm was dicey. There were so many trees down in the road on top of live wires and several homes had trees crash into them. We have several friends in a neighborhood a couple miles away that are still w/o power. We've experienced an unusually high number of severe weather events over the past few years and lets not forget the earthquakes. It used to be this area never suffered extremes. Not any more.

Comments (9)

• msmorningsong
    12 years ago

Just glad you and family are safe Karyn. Hopefully it happened soon enough the brugs can recover and set another set of blooms before fall. :)

• maile_2010
    12 years ago

I am glad you and your family are ok. Your plants will be ok also.
    Jerry

• figara
    12 years ago

I am glad that the storm was not so bad and you and your family are alright. The plants will recover.

Pat

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Karyn aren't you affected by flooding? That's the one thing I keep seeing in my home state of NJ that just won't quit. So glad that plants do recover after a time, I hope you get something beautiful yet this year out of them.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No flooding in my immediate area. There never is but maybe I shouldn't say anything and jinx myself. lol There's a few blooms/buds left on Angel's Golden Dream but all were knocked off of the Double L'Amour and just about everything else except Superspot. I don't think that lost a single bud and the seed pods are still holding as well.

• maile_2010
    12 years ago

Karyn,
    Are your Angels Golden Dream leaves distorted, misshaped and just plain weird looking for brug leaves? My 2 are compared to the other brugs. Got mine from Eddie.
    Jerry

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Karyn-
    I'm so happy for you that you didn't suffer any major damage. Jerry- can you post a pict of your leaves? Are they mottled in color too? If so, you can take all of your leaves off, and spray the new ones in an aspirin and water solution. (melt the aspirin in some boiling water first) It will heal the leaves and give your plant an immunity against any viruses. That's what I did to a few brugs this summer and it really works!
    Karyn- sorry to hijack your thread. Good luck with your plants!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I get misshapen foliage when it's stressed, more so then most other varieties. I've never tried using aspirin but do use a product that contains salicylates so I can see where the use of aspirin would make sense. I didn't get mine directly from Eddie but I think that's where the plant I got cuttings from originated. One bloom is open but I'm bummed that all the skirts aren't dropping. I pulled apart the dropped buds and all had 5 : ( BTW a paste made from crushed aspirin and water works great to get rid of zits. The anti-inflammatory properties reduce the swelling and redness. I'm sure you all were just dying to know that. lol

• maile_2010
    12 years ago

No mottling of the leaves, just curled. There is no stress with my plants. The leaves are narrow and curled under. Both plants. Weird. I will post pics tommorrow evening.
    Thanks Girls,
    Jerry