Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
givelittle_getlots

OT: POTD : Scarlet Wisteria

givelittle_getlots
14 years ago

Happy Saturday to all

My tallest Scarlet Wisteria could get the name:KMOTGG lol From seed started in winter, this one is taller then the fence and started to bloom.

It is still in a pot since even though it says: full sun, it must not mean TX full sun because they do not seem to be to happy. All three of them that I have growing.

{{gwi:527920}}From POTD forAugust '09

Really really overslept today and thank goodness it cooled off over night.

So you know what I will be doing and where to find me lol

What are you doing today?

My ears are always open and I will be back to read all about it!!

Hugs

Lucy

Comments (28)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

That is an unusual bloom and so pretty!

I'll be at work all day, but I hope you all have a wonderful gardening day!

Pam

• daniellalell
    14 years ago

ooo thats pretty Lucy..I've never seen that..

Here is a link that might be useful: BrugmansiaWorld

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Very pretty, another special plant. Have fun in the garden today. I have the same issue with sun here, most full sun plants need some shade in midday during summer.

It's cooling off to the mid 90's today! I'll be sitting outside giving direction (doctor's orders).

• haase
    14 years ago

How pretty these are. Lucy, you must have a huge garden, I've seen so many of your beautiful flowers since I joined the forum.

• knotz
    14 years ago

Beautiful red color Lucy!!

Have a great day!!!!!!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That's so pretty. I started some from seed earlier this year but they are nowhere near blooming size. I have to decide if I want to winter them over in the GH and try for blooms next summer.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well folks, as I look out the window, it looks like we COULD get some rain. Forgive my typing mistakes because it is hard to type with fingers crossed lol

Karyn believe you me, I was surprised myself when I saw that this one was developing *bud* sprig (sp). It is hardy for my zone. At least I wrote it on the tag. lol One tag that did not get mixed up yippeeeeeeee

Haase not when it comes to where all the flowers are growing lol. they are all in a few flowerbeds or pots. But I love my garden.

rock oak deer you too will get cooler weather. Just in time when you are back on your feet again.

Daniella it says that they LOVE water and are GREAT for ponds. If they were not so tall, I would send you one.

Pam hope your workday is almost over and you get to relax!

Thanks everyone. I knew you would all like this one too.

Lucy

• ruth_ann
    14 years ago

I did a search on this as I didn't know it, you may be interested in knowing it is considered a noxious pest in some areas....

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarlet Wisteria

• mantorvillain
    14 years ago

Interesting plant, both fm picture and the info following. I grew up in MS with ano old cedar tree covered with blue wisteria and this brought back memories (but had no idea thre was a red).
    My wife and I took our 10 yr old G-son to a regional Renaissance Festival yesterday and bot slept 10 plus hrs last night...LOL. 3 cups of dark roast folgers and a 'brug forum' fix have me ready for the yard again tho.
    Thanks for all your POTD's.
    Will

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WILL lol...glad you are back on your feet so quickly after a what sounds like very fun day you had with GS...even if it took lots of coffee. I too get inspired to go DO things after seeing how much there is one can do...so many enablers here lol

Ruth ann got so much BACKYARD fence and would not mind if it is noxious. It can even spread beyond the fence line lol Still just ROCKS and deer. Had read that very same article before ;-) thanks for pointing it out though. Just in case I find someone who wants to get one lol Or I should have seeds to spare. lol

Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

I'm sure Maddy got instructions from her Oma and won't ever put anything into her mouth, like Wisteria Seeds .....

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maddy would not do that...but I have to hide all seeds from Precious, my kitty now. She eats EVERYTHING.

This morning I opened all the windows. Saying to my hubby how great the invention of windows are that you can open from the top also. Cause now I do not have to be afraid that Precious is going to claw and ruin the screens because she wants to get OUT.

Well...I came in to get something and there she was...balancing on top of the middle frame, looking out the screen but not knowing how to get back down because the curtain was in the way. On the way up I guess she used the flowerpot :-( You do have to laugh. Because she is a very inventive kitty lol.

Lucy

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

LOL at the kitty story. She is inventive.

Yep, down this way we're happy to find out that something is invasive in our yard, even noxious weeds. Scarlet wisteria looks a lot like rattlebush which is a native and is currently one of the best bloomers in my yard.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rock oak deer I believe it is another name for the SAME thing :-)

Lucy

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

The flowers on mine are yellow, so checked this out and they are really close:

sesbania punicea = rattlebox, scarlet wisteria
    sesbania drummondii = (yellow flowers) rattlebush, rattlebox

hmmm....so the red one is non-native, invasive, noxious etc, but the yellow one is a native? Well I think the red flowers are prettier.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ooops sorry. did not notice the difference between box and bush

Lucy

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Hey Lucy (just catching up)
    Beautiful Plant, Love that red!
    Dorothy

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Hey Lucy, it was good to see you today. I found some more info on it. It appears to be a small tree rather than a vine like the other wisteria. It spreads by the seeds falling and making new plants but its only hardy to 30 degrees for brief periods according to this website so I'll keep mine in the greenhouse. It beautiful! Thanks so much. Well I tried to post the sight I found but it says its not allowed do to spam. If you do a search you can see pics of the trees. They look like mimosa sort of. I need to look for the yellow ones now, lol.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

You should find the yellow ones in natural areas near you. They are all over the place here in north San Antonio. It looks a lot like Pride of Barbados. I'll also look for seed pods. It's not nearly as pretty as the red, though.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kristy if it dies...it dies lol It WILL go in the ground in the spring. I saw this morning that it has 2 seedpods growing. Yippeeeeeeeeee :-)

rock oak deer I think you are right. If my memory serves me correctly, then we saw them on our Safari outing with Kylie. Kristy you remember you asking what that tree was and Kylie mentioned SOMETHING lol. But I sure thing it could be IT! ??

Lucy

• patsy_b
    14 years ago

When I got my first one I was told that it was a short lived plant. Mine lived for 8 years and would probably still be alive if I had watered it. In all the years that I had it I never had a seedling to come up under it. I also googled it when I first got it and expected the worse but it never happened. I had mine in the ground and it did not freeze back so it was pretty hardy.
    Patsy

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Thats good to know Patsy, thanks. Well John adopted it and takes it in at the shop every night so the deer don't eat it, lol. I guess I'll get to bring it home this winter. He got so many compliments on it and the orchid he won't let me have take them home, lol. Do I remember the yellow one at the zoo? No, lol. It was more than last week but I bet we can get Kylie to fight off the wild animals so we can collect seeds next time. Lol.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Patsy thank you. It sure would be nice to see it grow for a few years!

Kristy that is funny about John and him taking it in every night lol. Now I know who I REALLY woke up at 6 am in the morning lol Sorry JOHN :-)

Lucy

• figara
    14 years ago

Beautiful color. Had no idea that this color exist. The only color I knew was purple. Now I learned that is a yellow too. Since I join the forum I saw lots of beautiful plants.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I found the rattlebox, sesbania drummondi on a walk by the neighborhood lake a couple weeks ago. It was at least 6 feet tall. I thought it was related to my Caesalpinia and was looking for an ID.

{{gwi:527921}}

{{gwi:527923}}

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Lucy, what a beautiful color on your wisteria. I see you continue finding and trying new plants for your garden, LOL!

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I feel the same way about this forum. My garden would not be what it is, were it not for all the wonderful people...ohhh sorry...enablers lol..here.

Pam wow that looks real nice. More next to each other.

Eloise you betcha lol After all...the year does have 365 days lol

Okey dokey got to say good night for today. BAD storm started. I sure hope we will get rain.

Till tomorrow

Hugs
    Lucy

• pambev
    14 years ago

Hi All! I'm new here. I've seen this growing along the highway here for several years and took a seed pod from it a few months ago. My seeds did not sprout and when I dug them out, they look exactly the same as when I planted them?? Any advice?? Is there anything I can do to get these to grow?? I want one of these badly!! LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Widow Garden