Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ot posting Hibiscus flowers from Texas Coast

Posted by honeybunny2 Z9TX (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 8:58

I took these pictures this past week, and wanted to share with you. They are Hibiscus, and Desert Roses. Barbra

Tropical Hibiscus

Tropical Hibiscus

Lord Baltimore

Tropical Hibiscus

Tropical Hibiscus

Photobucket

Moy Grande Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Two tone desert rose

Common Desert Rose

Miss India

<P> Desert Rose

Miss India Desert Rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ot posting Hibiscus flowers from Texas Coast

Very Lovey Barbra, ou are Now
the Hibiscus Queen. :)

They are all gorgeous.
Cb

o

Chocolate Brug, I may be the Queen, but you are the King of Hibiscus. I did not buy those, they were given to me in a trade this spring. I also got a few from the people at work when I retired in May. I will take pictures of the others, they just had buds when I left Sunday. My plants are just now starting to bloom. So I should have alot of pictures to post between September and December. Barbra

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi, Pakistan/ 1 (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 3:33

Lovely Hibiscuses and Adeniums...

o

Great pics Barbra.
Do you leave your tropical hibiscus in the ground all year long there in rockport?
Here is one of mine that lives in a pot. I wish I could put mine in the ground instead of doing the drag in and out for winter.
Photobucket
pa

o

Prince Albert, I have had the Lord Baltimore, and Moy Grande hibiscus for quite a few years( hover over the pictures to see them) they have hugh flowers, and freeze down and come back every year, with no extra care. All the hibiscus are planted in the ground. The 6 new exotic hibiscus I got in trade this spring, are just now starting to bloom, I am not sure how they will weather over the winter, but I plan to put at least 5 inches of mulch on top for winter. The smaller blooming hibiscus I received as retirement gifts. Everyone was holding a plant when I walked in, I started to cry. They all know I love flowers, it was so touching. Those plants have much smaller blooms but bloom constantly, I plan to mulch them. I meet Manul Flores in 1996 he told me that bouganvilla will survive the coldest of weather here in San Antonio, if you just put 4 inches on mulch on the top before it freezes. I have been doing that since 1996. I am too old to take out and bring in plants. You might want to check with Christy and Lucy, I sent them a Lord Baltimore, and Moy Grande, Lucy posted Exotic hibiscus last year on the forum, so I know she had some. They have colder winters than what we get. I will see you at the plant swap on Oct 9th. Barbra

o

Prince Albert, I have had the Lord Baltimore, and Moy Grande hibiscus for quite a few years( hover over the pictures to see them) they have hugh flowers. These are in the ground, and come back every year. I love both of these flowers. The 6 nnew exotic I got in trade this spring, I have in the ground also. They are just now starting to bloom, I am not sure how they will weather over the winter, but I plan to put at least 5 inches of mulch on top for winter. I do not mulch the Lord Baltimore, or Moy Grande. Three I received as retirement gifts from folks in my unit. It was so touching, my entire unit was standing there everyone had a plant in their hand, I just started crying, I was so touched, that they had done that. Those plants have much smaller blooms but bloom constantly, I think they got them at Wal-Mart, or maybe Lowes. They will be covered with mulch for the winter. I meet Manuel Flores and he told me that bouganvilla will survive the coldest of weather here in San Antonio, if you just put 4 inches on mulch on the top before it freezes. I have been doing that since 1996, and have never lost one to freezing. Barbra

o

Honeybunny,
I have several Mouy Grande plants. I am holding off putting the hardys in the ground, I'm looking at places in rockport to buy. I have about 8 diferent tropicals, and was wondering if they would hold up to the winters there.
One of them came from Beeville at the DD's house. I don't worry as much about it as the others. The pic is of the one from Beeville. There are several others thay were rescued ( with permission) as cuttings from businesses around beeville.
pa

Hibiscus

o

Prince Albert, the next time you are in Rockport, let me know. If you can come by, you can see for yourself what plants do well. I think I have almost tried them all. Some plants will not live in my soil, but just down the road at Linda's they thrive. I have sugar sand and she has a diffrent soil, so it depends on the soil. Email me if you want directions to come over. You will love it in Rockport, the hummingbirds arrived last Tuesday about 3:30pm, it was such a beautiful sight. I just sat on the front porch and watched them. I could just feel my blood pressure drop. Barbra

o

I forgot to say that Kristy and Lucy live about 30 miles from me. They are on the oposite side of Ft Hood from me.
I have met both of them, and traded plants. They were the first of the G/W brugmansia people I met.
We will talk more at the plant swap.
I do want to meet you and Linda one day when the DW and I go down. Our oldest child lives in Beeville, so we go down about 1 time every month.
pa

o

Beautiful Barbra, I know you are enjoying seeing the fruits of your labor, and enjoying retirement! I was going to say which ones I like best, but I like all of them :-)

o

Meant to tell you Barbra, you now got the hang of posting pictures, congrats! Then, if you shrink your photos some before posting, it will be easier for those on dial-up to see them. For example, my photos are over 3k KB, but then I shrink them to 15% (ends up being about 35 plus KB) before I load them up in photobucket. Just my 2 cents.

o

I love the tropical hibiscus, you have some lovely color blends. Attack of envy...lol but for lack of room, I've resorted to collecting the hardy hibiscus. I know others would like to see what can grow in a colder environment without digging them up. So here's a link to show you what kind of hardy hibiscus' there are to grow in your own yard.

I've heard these can survive a zone 3 but there are different varieties so check the details out.

-Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Hibiscus Pictures

o

Wow!!! I love hibiscus..you can hardly look at them without smiling :)) Now if only they were scented..sigh.
~SJN

o

We will go down next weekend, and I hope that the other hibiscus will be in bloom. I also hope that I will have brugmansia blooms, if so I will post pictures again. My plumeria will probably not bloom this year, I just purchased them from Florida Colors in June. This was the first year, I did not dig them up in 12 years. they were established trees, so I was not worried. I will never make that mistake again. All you have to do is dig up the pumeria and desert rose, wrap in newspaper, and store in the garage rafters. That is what I plan to do next year.I wish I could do that with my brugmansia. They are almost all new plants, since I had to start over, I will probable need to cover all the plants if we get a freeze, something I have never had to do before. Barbra,

o

honeybunny,
there was a guy selling rock rose plants at the farmers mkt in Rockport last weekend. I was there on sat. I did not buy any.
I did stop at the Greengate nursery in Seguin on the way home on sunday, where I piched up a couple of hibiscus scizopetalus plants. I think they are neat, and go nicely with the El Capitilo red and peach.
Photobucket El Capitilo Red Hibiscus Photobucket

scizopetalus, ---------El Capitilo red, --------------peach
here are pics
pa

o

Prince Albert, I wish I would have know you were going down. If you get off the Ingelside exit off Ih-35 in Aransas Pass, and go down about 4 miles on the left, you will find Johnson Nursery. She has all the exotic hibiscus 40% off right now. Her regular price is $22, they are in 5 gallon pots. She has the best plants, she starts everything from cuttings. You will find unusual plants there that no one else has, but she sells out fast. I love going there. Barbra

o

Thanks Barbara,
I'll hit it the next time I go down.
I'm still looking at houses down there.
I didn't even stop at Bloomers this last trip.
pa

o

Bloomers is too expensive, they want $13 for a 1 gallon hibiscus. I like Johnsons. If you go thru Corpus, then you need to go to Turners and Fox's Nurseries. Turners has everything 20% off right now. I bought a purple firespike plant, I thought they only came in Red. It was a 1 gallon pot that should have been in a 3 gallon pot $5.99 minus 20%. They had free grass. I could only fit 16 pieces in my toyota. My husband sprayed the swing with protective stuff, and killed all the grass around it, the 16 pieces fit perfect. Barbra

o

I'll have to hunt them up. I may have been to Turners if it's the one on Padre Island Drive.
pa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here