Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biffa11157

New Brug owner size problem

biffa11157
13 years ago

Hi fellow brugmansia lovers, I have recently purchased some Angels trumpets that I saw for the first time in my local Garden Centre, I was stunned by their size and beauty, however the ones I bought only seem to grow to about 2 foot and the leaves turn yellow and drop off. however they still produce lots of flowers, can you give me some advice on what I should do to encourage them to grow taller and look healthier?

Comments (7)

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

Hi biffa11157,

Is the plant drying out and wilting at all?

Is it possible that the plant is root bound? If so, I would re-pot it into a larger pot. And Fertilize it.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Do you snap off the seed pods?

Keriann~

• karyn1
    13 years ago

It's not unusual for the older lower foliage to yellow and drop but you shouldn't be losing many of the younger leaves. It sounds like they are getting enough sun and probably enough fertilizer if they are flowering. I'm not sure what zone you are in being in the UK. Are they growing in containers or planted in the ground? It could very well be that they are root bound like Green Thumb said if they are container grown. They should be in at least a 20" diameter pot. If you don't want to deal with a large container a smaller pot can be sunk into the ground and easily lifted, if necessary, in the fall. They tend to grow larger when planted inground. Allowing seed pods to ripen has never affected the growth of my brugs. A pic might be helpful.

• biffa11157
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advise guys, I have four plants all in pots, I got them last summer and they did well, I was told that they would not survive the british winter so I left them in pots so that I could bring them into my garage until spring, I was also advised to cut them back by a third, which i did but they all seemed to die back to just a stump which then started to sprout new growth and this year they got to about two to three feet in height. was this the right thing to do?

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

If you are only dealing with small brugs, I tend not to cut them back unless you are limited as to where you can store them. There are no simple rules when dealing with living things in different conditions. I trim my brugs to suit whatever shape I am after.

If your brugs died back to stumps, I'm guessing that you let them dry out too much over the winter. Each house is different, the duration of your furnace running varies and the type of winter varies. I check my brugs every couple of weeks to see how dried out they are. If the stems are starting to shrivel - I give them some water; but, just a bit. Too much water and they will think it is time to grow.

:)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

My Daturas always stayed small until I got them in morning to 2pm sun, gave them fert. 3 times a week and snapped off their seed pods.

Now they are over 8 feet tall and are covered in blooms.

Keriann~

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Hello Biffa, welcome.

'Lots of flowers on a 2' plant?' Are you sure you don't have a datura? It's a common misconception that the daturas are brugmansia but are not. Same family though, and both called trumpets. Flowers point basically up on a datura, never right down but sometimes nod sideways. Brugmansia flowers never grow upward, they dangle like a pendant straight down or nod outward sideways.

- Sandy

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz