Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubby_gw

HELP. Mites? Mosaic? Virus?

Rubby
9 years ago

This is my double pink Dolas rosenresli. It's now 8 feet tall and full of buds. A few days ago, it dropped a large mature bud that was ready to open. I opened the bud, and it looked like it was a little rotted inside. Then it dropped another large bud. Then, practically overnight, I woke up to this on about 3/4 of the plant.

What happened? And how can I fix it? Is it too late?

{{gwi:528690}}

Comments (4)

• Rubby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking maybe Tobacco Mosaic? And from what I read, my brug will have it for life? Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Please tell me I am wrong......

• Jesse Ortiz
    9 years ago

It does look like mosaic. That's very unfortunate for you especially because it's already an 8 ft tree with buds. You should post a picture of the entire plant for better view of it. I have one of those but of all my brugmansia collection that is the only one I'm having trouble on getting it to bloom. It produces buds but they only get about 3 inches and then drop. Ive had it in full sun and it never wilt but like the buds didn't stay I moved it to a partial shade area and it's still droping the buds. I've only had it for about a year and its about 6-7 ft tall I'm hoping it just needs more time to mature to then bloom. Mine has the velvety fussy leafs and yours look like it doesn't? Btw I would keep it away from my other brugs.

• Rubby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I spoke to other experienced growers, and they said it's either Mosaic or CDV? Anyway, I am told the plant is a complete loss. Not only do I need to throw the entire thing away, but wash everything down to make sure the virus doesn't spread. I am feared it is already too late for separating others. All of my other brugs seem to be beginning to show signs. Lets hope this isn't true.

Opposed to throwing it away, I picked off all of the "bad" leaves and am hoping to at least get one flower and a picture out of it before I discard.

It is a complete shame. I worked hard on this brug and it was healthy as could be until very recent. Such a shame.

I guess all of my brugs are a complete loss for this year. I will need to get my hands on some cuttings to start from scratch next year. UGH. I'm sad........

Here are two pics. One when it as healthy, the other taken yesterday before I stripped the leaves....

I now have ZERO brugs......I might cry.......

{{gwi:528691}}

{{gwi:528692}}

• Jesse Ortiz
    8 years ago

Hello Ruby,

I was wondering how your brugs are doing? Did the virus spread to all? Did you keep the dolas rosenresli and watch it bloom?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting