Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pshawn2

Variegated Brugs

pshawn
13 years ago

I'm a super newbie to brugs. I've had this variegated one for a few years and it just put out it's first blooms (pictures below). I'm wondering what variety of brug it might be. Are there many variegated brugs? I understand Maya and Sunset are both variegated? Others?

Thanks!

shawn

p.s. Any thoughts what might be eating the edges of the leaves away... mites?

{{gwi:529805}}

{{gwi:529806}}

{{gwi:529807}}

Comments (35)

• knotz
    13 years ago

Me thinks me has to have one of those!!!...LOVE it :)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

There's a number of variegated brugs. The ones you mentioned (which some say are the same variety) and Snowbank, Miner's Claim, Suaveolens Variegata, Peaches and Cream and a green on green variegated brug called Emerald Frost. There are probably others I don't know about or have forgotten. I don't know what the problem with your foliage is but they are susceptible to sunburn.

• pshawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Karyn! Nice to see you on another forum.

Yes, this one does seem to do best in shade--I keep it in part shade. and I think the brugs near it have some spider mites. Ever seen mite damage look like that?

I will post photos again when these buds open and maybe someone can help identify which variety of brug it is?

shawn

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Shawn it seems like many of us grow similar plants. The foliage looks quite a bit like Snowbank with the wide white borders but you can't be positive. Miner's Claim is more yellowish and the others don't have quite as much white in the foliage but there can be differences in individual plants. Whatever variety it is it's very pretty. As for the damage I'm leaning towards sunburn. Broad mites cause thickened, deformed leaves and spider mites cause chlorotic spots and visible webbing on the undersurface of the leaves, neither of which I see in your pic. BTW that looks like a nice begonia to the right of the brug.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I think it looks like Snowbank too. A good trick to do with the variegated brugs is to put some soft uplighting under them and at night they will really glow!! The ones with variegated leaves and light colored flowers would look especially nice.

• pshawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the tips and help with ID. The flowers aren't open yet, but they looked so cool partway open, I had to take more pictures. Here are a few:

{{gwi:529808}}

{{gwi:529809}}

{{gwi:529810}}

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Those blooms are too cool looking! I don't know if it's Snowbank because mine has yet to bloom but I've never seen flowers that have the same variegation as the foliage. Please post more pics as they continue to open.

• vaskirt
    13 years ago

Shawn I can tell for sure it's not Peaches and Cream because of the stem. Thier stem is about 5-6 inches long. That eliminates one. It could be Maya/Sunset, or even Snowbank as karyn said.

You do have a fair case of spider mite ( I can see them in your picture @ the bottom) not broad mite but reg. mites like the two spotted ones, also it does look like sunburn on your tips.

IMHO... lol

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

AM with KNOTS!!! me LOVES this Bruggie!! Prince Albert what kind did I get? That begonia is also a MUST , such lovely plants, Marcie

• heygeno
    13 years ago

OK ! who sells this ! ?
    Geno

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

I too have never see the flower pod variegated! Truly beautiful, and thanks for sharing your photos.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Eloise I have variegated calyxes on my variegated plants but I've never seen a bloom itself with that color.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Sorry Marcie. Mine did not come with a name.
    It's name is "NOID". The flowers come out yellow then white then as they age they are a cream color with light peach stripes. Here is a pic of it last year in it's full glory.
    {{gwi:529811}}
    Maybe someone here knows it's name.
    pa

• karyn1
    13 years ago

PA I can only tell you what it's not. It's not a Miner's Claim or a Snowbank. It could be almost any of the other variegated ones.

Shawn have the blooms opened yet and if so have they retained the green and white coloration? BTW Edna's right about that solid green foliage on the bottom right being infested with spider mites. Is that a separate plant?

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

pshawn, where's the latest pictures, PLEASE!

• pshawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The latest. They are slow bloomers apparently:

{{gwi:529812}}

And thanks Edna and Karyn re: the mites heads-up. That solid green foliage is a different brug and I am aggressively fighting those mites now that I have a little time. I had let them run pretty rampant.

• pshawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How long do most brugs take to bloom? these seem exceedingly slow! Here's today:

{{gwi:529813}}

• karyn1
    13 years ago

A watched pot....... Brugs are pretty slow to fully open but that one does seem especially slow. I can't wait to see them in full bloom.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Wow, and the flower appears to be very long; is it? Can't wait for the final look!

• pshawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here they are! Yes, they are quite long. They smell FANTASTIC!

{{gwi:529814}}

{{gwi:529815}}

{{gwi:529816}}

• pshawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone have thoughts on ID now?

• eddiedewayne
    13 years ago

shawn ,
    will you post pics of leaves only and not flowers . i few different angles please. also can you take a pic from the back side of the plant , showing trunk growth ?
    are you gettting 3 colors of variegation in the leaves ? or is it mainly solid green meeting solid white ?

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Nice blooms. I wonder if they'll get peachy as they age? I'm still going with Snowbank but you'll have to call it a variegated NOID because you don't know the plant the cutting was taken from. I have brugs whose tags have faded that I'm 90% sure of their ID but still have to call them NOIDs because I can't be 100% positive. If you are a serious hybridizer and plan on registering your crosses names are important. It also helps with trades but for most people it really shouldn't matter even though many make a big deal of it. I'm a long time grower of brugs and could honestly care less about names as long as someone has a pic.

• pshawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And then they were peachy--new pics below. Thanks all for the thoughts and questions.

Eddiedewayne: 3 colors, mostly white meeting green, but randomly interspersed 3rd color of lighter green. See photos. Trunk photos also below.

Peachy Blooms:
    {{gwi:529817}}

Large Leaf:
    {{gwi:529819}}

Another Big Leaf:
    {{gwi:529821}}

Smaller Leaf:
    {{gwi:529823}}

Backside of Small Leaf:
    {{gwi:529825}}

Trunk View 1:
    {{gwi:529826}}

Trunk View 2:
    {{gwi:529827}}

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Beautiful pshawn! The blooms and leaves are spectacular, and I hope someone is able to i.d. it for you.

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Absolutely georgous!! I want one! :-)

• eddiedewayne
    13 years ago

i think its sunset

• pshawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Eddie! The images on google look about right, though mine seems to have more variegation of the leaves than most. Karutz says 'Maya' and 'Sunset' are the same...?

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I've heard some say that Maya and Sunset are the same and others say no. I have no idea but they do look an awful lot alike to me. My Sunset (Maya?), P&C and my unknown variegated brugs have much less variegation then my Snowbank which has a wide white margin along the outer edge of the leaves. Yours has a lot of white like my Snowbank.

• pshawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Eddie! The images on google look about right, though mine seems to have more variegation of the leaves than most. Karutz says 'Maya' and 'Sunset' are the same...?

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Here's pics of my variegated brugs. For some reason the little green cats like them the best so they're pretty chewed up. The 1st 2 are my Snowbanks. I'm sure they are properly ID'd because they came with the Terra Nova tags.
    {{gwi:529828}}
    {{gwi:529829}}

My other green/white variegated brugs.

{{gwi:529831}}
    {{gwi:529833}}
    {{gwi:529835}}
    {{gwi:529837}}

Emerald Frost a green on green variety.

{{gwi:529838}}

• pshawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Karyn! Yes, your snowbank foliage sure looks most like the plant I was trying to ID. I love the Emerald Frost foliage too!

Sorry about the double-post above--computer hiccup of some sort.

Thanks again to everyone for your help ID-ing my plant!

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I love the snowbank & emerald frost and have added them to my list to locate, at least seeds! :-)

• sekhment
    13 years ago

pshawn I think yours looks like snow bank to. It is very lovely! that one is on my must have list now.
    Here are some of mine.
    Axel rose
    {{gwi:529840}}

Emerald
    {{gwi:529842}}

Sun Set
    {{gwi:529844}}

Sun Sport
    {{gwi:529846}}

wink ..wink.. fall is comming cut back season

Cassie

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Hostarookie you need to start them from cuttings as the vast majority of brug seeds do not grow true from seed.

My Sunsport has very little variegation but that might be because I've completely ignored it since Apr. I just came across it sitting in a group of equally neglected plants and decided to water and feed it.