Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fog my brugs???

Posted by mantorvillain z4bMN Dodge (willbeane2000@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 10:48

In almost 20 yrs of growing this is the first year I've had spider mites outdoors during the summer....lots (unfortunately) in the winter indoors but never before outside. these brugs are in 10-15 gal containers in my driveway in a 5-1-1 mix and getting @ 2 gallons ea twice a day by a drip system so shouldn't be suffering from being too dry. I'll be mixing up a dose of systemic and can spray then down good with the hose but many have buds so I don't want to knock those off. I have one of those lawn foggers which I seldom use and am thinking of using it on the brugs as the fog should be able to fully penetrate all the foliage. Mites are insects (arachnids?) so I'm hoping the fog and spray will work short term til the systemic 'percolates' through the plant.
Thoughts?
Thanks, Will
P.S. I have a couple of 'put together' greenhouses I use to wake up my brugs after dormancy and am thinking how easy fogging to protect the new foliage would be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fog my brugs???

I used a can of insecticide years ago that worked like a fog and had wonderful success with killing pests. It also helped clean the greenhouse of them. After I did add some garden spiders to the room to set up housekeeping for when the aphids came to visit.

It isn't so much the internal plant moisture that deters the Spidermite, rather the external humidity. Years when it is very dry I used to set the sprinkler on them for 30 minutes or so each evening and that moisture lasted all night and didn't cause 'moisture' problems but did seem to deter Spidermites.

o

Great advice Ruth Ann! Nice to hear from both of you again!

o

Great to hear from both of you.
Will, did you retire?
Jerry

o

What systemic are you using for spider mites? This is the worst year I've ever had for spider mites and the first where I've had spider mite problems outside more than the remanents of ones from inside when the plants go out in the spring. I've hit the brugs with Forbid spray twice and an "organic" spray once. And now the mites are back again. I've got buds too so a really strong hose spraying is out.

Of course, this has been a most unusual year in the Washington DC area: the warm, cold, warm winter, scads of triple digit days, drought, then unusually cool summer days, days of rain, the derecho, the earthquake a year ago. It hasn't been global warming here this summer; its been global climate craziness. Of course one summer doesn't a climate make; but what's going to happen here next?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here