Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottahosta

Seedlings today

gottahosta
13 years ago

This is my seedling bed today. There are 92 plants, one foot apart, in rows 4.5 feet apart.

25 have y's, and 18 have buds. Seeds started in February and March, which is late for me. Planted out in late April.

That is me, with my arms raised, almost hidden by nearly 8' tall brug seedlings.

{{gwi:530525}}

This is what composted chicken litter does for getting seedlings to bloom the first year.

Comments (24)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

They look great. Landscape fabric was a very good idea. I've never had blooms the first year from seed grown plants. I'm jealous. lol

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Brenda
    Just Beautiful, all the Healthy Brugs, I can't wait too see them all in Bloom, what a treat that will be, no wonder you're so busy, Great job Girl
    Hugs
    Elizabeth

• knotz
    13 years ago

Wow Brenda...That's just AWESOME!!!...You done good!!

• drvongirl
    13 years ago

Wow, that's gona be some show when they all start to bloom!! They all look so healthy. What is the blue covering and why is it there? Ellen

• pagrdnr
    13 years ago

VERY nice setup. So organized. Can't wait ti see them blooming.

• gottahosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lol, Shawn, when you have this many seedlings, ya better be organized! And this is not alot of seedlings, just alot in a small space.
    The blue tarp is covering a pile of that famous composted chicken litter, held in reserve.
    Karyn, this composted chicken litter is so full of weed seeds, I have to put down the landscape cloth- it's self-defense. Yep, that's the secret for 1st year bloomers, plus the zone!
    Should be fun to see what comes of these seedlings- most are my own crosses.

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Wow!!! Great job Brenda!
    You my friend are a wonderful inspiration!!!
    You go girl!
    Karen

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Now that's what I call a jungle! See me waving back at you Brenda, lol!

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Wow, such a beauty, so many and so healthy looking seedlings... 'm loving it..

Izhar

• chena
    13 years ago

WOOHOO!!! You GOOOOOO Brenda!!!!! HOLY MACARONI!!!!
    I can't wait to see what all you got there.. You ROCK Sister!!!

Kylie

• gottahosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, Kylie! Well, it won't be long before they start showing what they got!
    Thanks, Ishar!

• kasha77
    13 years ago

HI Brenda! Wonderful work, especially all that breeding going on! I just wanted to thank you for sharing your seeds with me this spring- Here are the first blooms from a seedling started in January- a cross from- Dorthea X Esmeraldes X Mountain Magic that you gave me, It has a wonderful orange blossom scent! You are such a sweetie and I appreciate you so much!
    hugs~
    kasha77
    {{gwi:530526}}

{{gwi:530527}}
    {{gwi:530529}}

• chena
    13 years ago

Very Cool!! a 6 twanger!!!! Great job Kathy and Brenda!!!

• gottahosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, hey, Kasha, thanks for posting that photo- that is interesting that it has 6 points. And longer twangers than Mountain Magic! I want one that smells like orange blossoms! It looks very, very healthy, too!
    I do have one seedling that smells like that old-timey pink bubblegum (Bazooka?) Weird, huh, but it smells good.
    Did you get my email?
    Thanks, Kylie, Kathy is a great brug mommy!
    ~Brenda

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Brenda-
    I will gladly send you some cuttings of this one- you're the master! I did get your email- did you get mine in return? If not I'll resend it!
    thanks hun!
    hugs~
    kasha77

• danasplants
    13 years ago

This is inspiring! lol you all have done a great job I have quite a few seedlings too now I can't wait to see what I got! lol

• gottahosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kasha, I did not receive your email.

Dana, good luck on your seedlings- I've been raising them for 5 years and the thrill never goes away!

~

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Brenda, All I could do was laugh when I saw you in there and figured out what they all were...lol

I thought I had my hands full with 30 or so brugs, a few given away but still up there. I'll get some pictures up of some of your babies, the one seedling of PPxDorthea that I kept growing(I stopped the rest, had too many going already - although I would of liked more of these possibilities), has even outgrown the 6 Miss Emily Mackenzie's that Kylie gave me that are a month older.
    Is this a naturally big brug tree, it's over 4 feet without the Y? 2/3 of Kylie's Cassies Curls are the first to Y and the one that hasn't is a mottled variegated. Besides cuttings, the only other seedling yet to Y is the Super Pink which also just Y'd from Volker. Will get baby pictures uploaded to photobucket and list the link(s).

Much to say and little time and more links to read - Sandy

• gottahosta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, Sandy, some of my seedlings are nearly 8' and are just y'ing, and blooming.
    Neither of the parents has been especially tall for me but PP is the taller of the two, so far! Patience, dear!
    ~Brenda

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Brenda-
    Just resent you your email!
    kasha77

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

{{gwi:530531}}

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

Yeah, Brenda! I'm holding my breath also....WHOA! You
    really, really roll, girl. Love the pic and all of those
    beautiful babies.
    Margaret

• figara
    13 years ago

Wow Brenda !! What a nice brug forest you have out there. Oh, they are looking so good. Beautiful.

Pat

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

Such beauties!! I have a friend that has a farm and she has lots and lots of chickens! I will be signing up for chicken manure!! will try this out next year.