Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedlings today

Posted by gottahosta z7b_NE_GA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 11:41

This is my seedling bed today. There are 92 plants, one foot apart, in rows 4.5 feet apart.
25 have y's, and 18 have buds. Seeds started in February and March, which is late for me. Planted out in late April.
That is me, with my arms raised, almost hidden by nearly 8' tall brug seedlings.

Photobucket
This is what composted chicken litter does for getting seedlings to bloom the first year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedlings today

They look great. Landscape fabric was a very good idea. I've never had blooms the first year from seed grown plants. I'm jealous. lol

o

Brenda
Just Beautiful, all the Healthy Brugs, I can't wait too see them all in Bloom, what a treat that will be, no wonder you're so busy, Great job Girl
Hugs
Elizabeth

o

• Posted by knotz 8/PNW SWWA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 19:14

Wow Brenda...That's just AWESOME!!!...You done good!!

o

Wow, that's gona be some show when they all start to bloom!! They all look so healthy. What is the blue covering and why is it there? Ellen

o

VERY nice setup. So organized. Can't wait ti see them blooming.

o

Lol, Shawn, when you have this many seedlings, ya better be organized! And this is not alot of seedlings, just alot in a small space.
The blue tarp is covering a pile of that famous composted chicken litter, held in reserve.
Karyn, this composted chicken litter is so full of weed seeds, I have to put down the landscape cloth- it's self-defense. Yep, that's the secret for 1st year bloomers, plus the zone!
Should be fun to see what comes of these seedlings- most are my own crosses.

o

Wow!!! Great job Brenda!
You my friend are a wonderful inspiration!!!
You go girl!
Karen

o

Now that's what I call a jungle! See me waving back at you Brenda, lol!

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi, Pakistan/ 1 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 21, 10 at 11:28

Wow, such a beauty, so many and so healthy looking seedlings... 'm loving it..

Izhar

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 21, 10 at 12:40

WOOHOO!!! You GOOOOOO Brenda!!!!! HOLY MACARONI!!!!
I can't wait to see what all you got there.. You ROCK Sister!!!

Kylie

o

LOL, Kylie! Well, it won't be long before they start showing what they got!
Thanks, Ishar!

o

HI Brenda! Wonderful work, especially all that breeding going on! I just wanted to thank you for sharing your seeds with me this spring- Here are the first blooms from a seedling started in January- a cross from- Dorthea X Esmeraldes X Mountain Magic that you gave me, It has a wonderful orange blossom scent! You are such a sweetie and I appreciate you so much!
hugs~
kasha77
D x Es X Mt Mg

D X Es X Mt Mg
D X Es X Mt Mg

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 13:18

Very Cool!! a 6 twanger!!!! Great job Kathy and Brenda!!!

o

Oh, hey, Kasha, thanks for posting that photo- that is interesting that it has 6 points. And longer twangers than Mountain Magic! I want one that smells like orange blossoms! It looks very, very healthy, too!
I do have one seedling that smells like that old-timey pink bubblegum (Bazooka?) Weird, huh, but it smells good.
Did you get my email?
Thanks, Kylie, Kathy is a great brug mommy!
~Brenda

o

Hi Brenda-
I will gladly send you some cuttings of this one- you're the master! I did get your email- did you get mine in return? If not I'll resend it!
thanks hun!
hugs~
kasha77

o

This is inspiring! lol you all have done a great job I have quite a few seedlings too now I can't wait to see what I got! lol

o

Kasha, I did not receive your email.

Dana, good luck on your seedlings- I've been raising them for 5 years and the thrill never goes away!

~

o

Brenda, All I could do was laugh when I saw you in there and figured out what they all were...lol

I thought I had my hands full with 30 or so brugs, a few given away but still up there. I'll get some pictures up of some of your babies, the one seedling of PPxDorthea that I kept growing(I stopped the rest, had too many going already - although I would of liked more of these possibilities), has even outgrown the 6 Miss Emily Mackenzie's that Kylie gave me that are a month older.
Is this a naturally big brug tree, it's over 4 feet without the Y? 2/3 of Kylie's Cassies Curls are the first to Y and the one that hasn't is a mottled variegated. Besides cuttings, the only other seedling yet to Y is the Super Pink which also just Y'd from Volker. Will get baby pictures uploaded to photobucket and list the link(s).

Much to say and little time and more links to read - Sandy

o

LOL, Sandy, some of my seedlings are nearly 8' and are just y'ing, and blooming.
Neither of the parents has been especially tall for me but PP is the taller of the two, so far! Patience, dear!
~Brenda

o

Hi Brenda-
Just resent you your email!
kasha77

o

I want it to flower!

o

Yeah, Brenda! I'm holding my breath also....WHOA! You
really, really roll, girl. Love the pic and all of those
beautiful babies.
Margaret

o

Wow Brenda !! What a nice brug forest you have out there. Oh, they are looking so good. Beautiful.

Pat

o

Such beauties!! I have a friend that has a farm and she has lots and lots of chickens! I will be signing up for chicken manure!! will try this out next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here