Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Yard tour - YouTube

Here's a short(?) video that a friend took of my summer yard. There are a few brugs in there so it's not totally off-topic!

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube Yard Tour

Comments (14)

• gottahosta
    13 years ago

OMG, Dave, Joe did an awesome job with the video, he (and you) are so knowledgeable and you have done a fantastic job in your back garden. Ya wannna trade? LOL!!!!
    Just amazing. Thank you so much and thank you, Joe! A real pleasure!

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

AWESOME, is all I have too say, Thank you for the Tour, I love love love it

Elizabeth

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Dave-
    I am so "WOWED" by your gardens! They are outstanding! Are your plants hardy there in Northern VA? I had a Black Magic Calocasia in the ground and it died last winter, here in zone 7b. I was so sad! Do you have a greenhouse too? I am encouraged and would like to try those huge giants in my yard next year- who knows- it might be my next addiction! Thanks for sharing, and your friend narating has an awesome knowledge of plant names. I never know how to pronounce them!
    kasha77

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Dave, your yard is just beautiful, I love the colocasia gigantea. I wounder if they would grow in coastal zone 9, with just moderate watering. I tried to grow the african mask colocasia in the shade, they just fried. Barbra

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

It was such a lovely virtual tour... Colocasia 'Thailand Giant' with combination of Coleus & Impatiens looks fantastic.. every thing is so full... thanks for sharing..!!

Izhar

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Dave and Joe, what a wonderful tour, especially since some of us are having a horrible time with this hot weather. It was refreshing to walk around your cool garden. Where's the little one!

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

That's one video saved in my Fav's! I appreciate all that effort and how much better all that work was now that it's all saved for posterity!

So BocaJoe did that did that video for you, so where's his garden! Looking forward to that to!

-Sandy

• whimsicalkate
    13 years ago

What an amazing Zone 7 garden...hard to believe that is Annandale. How do you haul all those plants in for the winter, and where do you house them? Absolutely amazing.

Thank you so much for a gorgeous tour.

• threas
    13 years ago

Dave, Wow! You and Boca Joe are the inspiration for my tropical garden! Thank you for your beautiful gardens! When do you start digging everything up? I'm stressed about my little garden.LOL

Theresa

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Yes, it is a labor of love. We seem to have time to do what we love, but with the little one walking and running now -- getting into everything, I have actually CUT BACK! Hah! She especially likes to dig in mulch and dirt. Now where did THAT come from?

For winter, most of the tender plants go in pots or buckets and then into garage, our basement, my office, ... really wherever there's room and my loving and supportive wife will allow. I use a hand cart for the largest stuff. Many of the impatiens self seed, so they fill in the shady spots.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

That's a lot of work, a true gardener! Oh yes, how life changes with a little one around. Has Katie tried eating dirt yet, LOL!

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

How do you have time to do anything but garden? I'm so amazed at the variety and, um, you like the big stuff, don't you? LOL, pretty wonderful garden Dave, thanks for sharing!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    13 years ago

eloise: yes, she used to put EVERYTHING in her mouth. Now she really likes to play with dirt and mulch. Hmmm. Where did that come from?

tommysmommy: Once they're planted they have to fend for themselves. Regarding 'big stuff', since the back bed is a ways from the house, the plants have to be big in order for us to see them from the kitchen bay window. They have to be big to make an impact.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Dave, I just ordered a Colocasia gigante, I think it will do fine. Thank you for the garden tour, I love your yard. I will order some other colocasia in the fall. I would have never thought about colocais as focal plants. I have black magic in the ground, it grows like a weed. It survivied the 26 degree freeze and came back from the ground. I will put them in part shade, in Texas I can only grow bouganvilla, bird of paradise, and hibiscus in full sun. Barbra

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County