Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenpassion

Handling Datura seeds...

greenpassion
13 years ago

I would like to know if handling the seeds can make one sick or feel weird. I have 3 good size datura's, the ones with huge white flowers that are upright. I snap off the spent blooms daily, and there are usually quite a few. I know I get 'juice' on my fingers as there is moisture in the stems. Recently I have noticed some of the seed pods have opened and spilled seeds. So I harvested several pods that weren't opened yet and am waiting for them to explode. While I was doing this I found one that had opened but there were still a few seeds left in the pod. In getting them out I handled the meat of the pod and the seeds quite a bit. Didn't think anything of it. In reading on line about the toxic effects of ingesting seeds, I read that handleing seeds is not good either. Anyone have any info?

Comments (5)

• origami_master
    13 years ago

You should be fine. Everyone's body reacts differently to the toxins; some are more sensitive than others. If you washed your hand well with soap and water, you should be fine.

You might be surprised to learn that one of the toxins called Atropine is actually a core medicine listed by the WHO. I have never heard of atropine being absorbed through skin. Nonetheless you want to avoid contact with you eyes in case there is residual toxin left after washing your hands.

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

When I was kid, I use to pick the "thorny apples" (Daturas are abundant here) as they look quiet interesting and crush them to make a paste, now I thank God for not tasting it..lol

Izhar

• greenpassion
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Question for Izhar. What did you make a paste for? And what have you heard about this?

Lori

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Just for fun... lol..nothing special, me and my friends making 'exotic medicines' for dolls ...childhood memories!!

we used to pick the fruit as well as the paste with bare hands, nothing happened but origami_master is right about individuals being more sensitive then others..

Effects from the poisoning are quick such as dilation of pupil, dry mouth, nausea and vomiting ..it can take 72 hours for effects to subside.. I recall one of the practicals we did during our pharmacy graduation, we determined the amount of raw datura plant parts to cause the most adverse effects it was concluded that older leaves, fruits and seeds contain most alkaloids which are harmful. One of our experimental lab rat died because its breathing passage (trachea) got choked which was the result of extreme dry mouth conditions.. it also cause hallucinations because as the pupil dilates the vision becomes blurred, simultaneously the Nervous activity slows down causing extreme confusions..

Izhar

• vinyvancat
    6 years ago

Reading your comments I had to add my story. One evening when I was a young boy some friends and I were playing in an old neighborhood backyard. Near a weathered shed was a glorious bush loaded with huge flower that smelled so nice we all sniffed them. Over the years I have mused on that Magical evening. One day I was walking home from and ice cream parlor with my daughter and granddaughter, and smell that exquisite perfume again. Discovering it came from a small bush with large white flower I recalled the magical evening from childhood. The colors of the fading sun and the laughter of my friends was so beautiful and we all seemed touched by some charmed spirit... it was such a delightful experience the memory is like yesterday to this 'vintage' gentleman. Well, I came home and looked up the plant in a nature book and viola... there was the information on its haluciginic properties and its serious dangers as well. Our simply breathing in the fumes and possibly some pollen was enough to send us children on a mild "trip". I have wondered if this is something that opened a part of my being to become an artist. The musing about that is because I have been blessed to be an artist since a young man... with a joyful career in that calling. It makes me think if there is some safe way to experience the effects... though I would be lothe for anyone to become ill or die from experimentation with this plant. But I know breathing in those flowers did send me and my little friends into a charmed adventure. But again be aware of the warnings!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler