Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crocuscottage

Fruits of our labor

crocuscottage
11 years ago

Never posted a picture on here before, but with it raining outside, I figured I would give it a shot.

IF the photo loads, it is of my brug "Betty Marshall". Size is about 5 feet tall, and 6 feet wide, and about 5 years old.

Comments (13)

• crocuscottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry to post ontop of myself, but I am about the most computer illiterate out there, and figured I would crash the Forum. I am thrilled that it worked.
    Enjoy all....

• kasha77
    11 years ago

What a beauty! Thanks for sharing!

• eahamel
    11 years ago

That's a really large one for such a small pot! What do you fertilize with? Is that a pink one in the background?

• rudy625
    11 years ago

Very nice !! What is the tall pink brug in the background ?

• tommysmommy
    11 years ago

Soooo pretty! That's one heckuva flush you got out of Betty!

• maile_2010
    11 years ago

Sweet!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

• crocuscottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello all. The tall pink in the back ground is, I believe, Pink Beauty. For my taste, while it is a lovely flower form and color, it just gets too large.
    The picture I added is of my Pink suaveolens. Not the best shot by any means, but at least you get the idea. I like this one a great deal, size is good, about 6 feet x 6 feet with plenty of branching and of course, flowers.
    Someone asked about feeding. I use several different feeds. As my "main" feed, I use 20 20 20, either Plant-x or Peters, every 7 to 10 days. As secondary feeds, I will give several handfuls of Milorganite in the Spring when I pull them out of the basement, mostly for the iron to promote good green foliage. Once a month after that I will give several handfuls of either Holly Tone, or I just found a source of pelleted chicken poop and plan to introduce that next season.
    Having grown things for 40 years, professionally and for pleasure, nothing beats chicken poop...
    I purchase my supplies at my local greenhouse supplier, Griffin.
    I noted someone asking about the pots. They are either 16 inches or 18 inches in inside diameter at the top.
    The soil is Pro-Mix, straight from the bag.
    Watering is typically 2x a day, sometimes in the hot spells, 3 times.

• gardenpaw
    11 years ago

Very pretty!
    Great job posting your pictures!

Karen

• diane_v_44
    11 years ago

it seems lots of water and fertilizer is what makes Brugmansia bloom
    Thanks for the photos

• crocuscottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, you are correct Diane, when they are in pots, the frequent watering will quickly reduce the fertility in the soil, so frequent feeding is needed.
    As the dairy farmer says "A cow will not give milk if you do not feed it.".
    I stop feeding after Labor Day, so that they will harden up for the trip to the basement about Halloween.

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

Congrats on growing your brugs. On your 2nd picture, are those tomatoes on the left-side?

• crocuscottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello eloise,
    Yes, there are tomatoes in the pictures, both red and yellow cultivars.
    Can not see them, but there are potatoes around also, purple ones, great way to add color to potato salad!
    As you can see, our windows are open, all summer long, and the home smells of brugmansia every night! Window fans help to bring the scent indoors, we are spoiled!

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

crocuscottage, some brugs certainly have a wonderful scent. I have a yellow noid in my chicken coop/yard and the scent is amazing. Recently, my neighbor said his visitors comment on the bloom and scent.

I've also grown a few purple and red potatoes! With eggs from my chickens and organically grown potatoes plus garlic, I've had some wonderful breakfasts.