Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmorningsong

Strange Question about cuttings

msmorningsong
12 years ago

I know this is a strange question, but can a cutting of brug be painted in one coat of good peeley latex paint and still be viable (for beginning rooting) a few weeks later? Of course, the paint would be gently peeled off at that time. Any thoughts on this?

Comments (9)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

No. A brug stem won't hold moisture like a plumeria or succulent cutting. Sealing it will just lead to rot. Storing it wrapped in a lightly moistemed paper towel in the fridge might hold it for a week but I'm not even sure if that would work. Why do you need to store the cutting?

• ruth_ann
    12 years ago

Karyn and MsMorningSong I have discarded cuttings, branches and stems on the lawn, forgotten to clean them up for a couple of weeks and still had them root fine after a night in the bathtub of cool water. Sometimes I will allow the cutting to callous a little for 24 hours and then they don't seem to rot on me as often. I would think left in the fridge without any moist towel on the open wound ant they would still be ok.

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Last fall I cut up my plants I put the cuttings in plastic storage boxes from office Depot with nothing else and they stayed good until I sent them all out as much as a month later. With no water they started getting nubbies. As far as I know they were all viable. Nobody complained anyway.
    Bill

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Last winter I rescued a bunch of cuttings from the compost pile. Not sure how many weeks had passed but we had experienced a couple of nights with freezing temps. I'd say that 75% of the cuttings made it. That's why I figured they'd be ok in the fridge for a while. I don't toss branches in the compost pile or even on the ground during the summer because they'll root where they land. I bag them up and they rot pretty fast.

Bill I'm surprised they made it that long out of water. Were they in a cool location? I'm sure they were ok or you certainly would have heard something. I've taken cuttings and have forgotten to put them in water. After a week on the garage floor they're toast.

• rmbill
    12 years ago

I think the moisture from the cuttings themselves was enough to sustain them. The plastic boxes didn't allow them to dry out.
    Bill

• msmorningsong
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I was just trying to think of new ways to preserve cuttings if they had to make long journey. Good answers

• Ament
    12 years ago

Well, the two cuttings of brugs Bill sent me made it just fine. One dropped all her leaves due to the heat, but I put her in a pot, watered her with a bit of a coffee tea and regular water every few days and now she's doing most excellent. Miss Emily Mackenzie is the one that dropped all the leaves. Emerald Frost took the trip better. :)

~Tina

• msmorningsong
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds good Tina Marie. This time next year you should have seen blooms at least twice, and maybe even three times :)

• pizzuti
    12 years ago

To ship cuttings I'd stuff them in a bag of BARELY-moistened perlite or peat moss, and then box them. If they're thick stems they can take a lot of punishment, but I think they still need oxygen so I wouldn't seal them in anything.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars271 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz