Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allanrandall_gw

Datura color problem

AllanRandall
12 years ago

Hi all, last year I had a double purple and a collected the seeds after the pods opened and planted them this year. I now have one that is two to two and a half feet and it's putting off blooms. However, the blooms have almost no color to them; they are not purple and they're not white, just kind of a greenish color. there is only the smallest touch of purple at the very tip of the flower and the rest has nothing. I'm at a loss as to what is causing this. We have had a really hot summer, but I didn't think that would be the cause. Anyone experience this before?

Comments (12)

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

It must have cross-pollinated with a neighboring datura. Bees can fly from 3-5 miles with pollen, you know. I've had seeds from triples be singles and singles be doubles. Some of your others might come out perfect, just like the mom.

• ruth_ann
    12 years ago

These are the result from purple&yellow purposely crossed Datura. The GW member 'Blicon' has been working with specific F1 and F2 hybrids in his crosses.

This was a 2011 seed I grew from his 'Box of Chocolates'( thus named because you never know what you will get, even from the same seedpod) #11 hybrids....
    {{gwi:532772}}

and this is one from the same #11 seeds in 2010....
    {{gwi:528824}}

Here is one og the crosses from group # 152-3...
    {{gwi:532773}}

From group 304-5....
    {{gwi:532774}}

You just never know what you will end up with when they cross and this what it sounds like happened to yours.

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the responses everyone. I wish I could say the the color was interesting, but it's really kind of bland. Oh well, I have plenty more seeds to try.

• chena
    12 years ago

Sounds interesting to me .. I would love to see a pick of it!!!! Pretty Please..;0)

Allan where in The City are you? I make it up there quite a bit my Mom lives there??

Kylie

• ruth_ann
    12 years ago

I have had a few of those nondescript 'dirty-white' or slightly tan coloured ones too, I just didn't keep them Allan.

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would post a picture for you but I have no idea how to do that on this site. They did seem to take on a little bit of a yellow tint so I think you guys are probably right.

Also, I'm in Moore. Gardening has been terrible here this year. I have two brug cuttings and I bet they haven't grown so much as an inch. I even brought one in out of the heat the other day to see if it would help. It's been a very discouraging summer... so hot.

• Ament
    12 years ago

I too enjoy the box of chocolate mix that Blicon has been working with. I'm hoping maybe one day I can get ahold of him and some of his seeds. :) Those are so awesome. LoL

Tina

• ruth_ann
    12 years ago

I believe Blicon has closed his business and is retiring to another area of the country. He will continue to "putz around" with his seeds he thinks.

• chena
    12 years ago

Allan that is cool.. My BIL has Bessinger Motors there in Moore and my Mom lives on the So side... Maybe we could get the chance to meet some day!!!

It has been a horrid yr for Brugs here as well.. BUT there is always next yr!! LOL

Kylie

• Ament
    12 years ago

Thanks for letting me know that Ruth Ann, Drat my horrid luck anyway! LoL I always come to things late. :) Ah well! haha!

• PoohBearLvr
    6 years ago

Allan. I know this is a very old post, but i cant find your email address to ask you in private about getting some of these box of chocolate seeds. Do you still grow it? do you have any for sale? I don't have seeds that you want for trade, I only have Double Blue Clitoria seeds. I just got them, a few months ago, and planted half, they are already blooming!

Have you gotten maybe some of the yellow blooms with purple spots/streaks,tips, as shown in the pics, i saw when i looked this 'Box of Chocolates' up online, and was sent to you, here??? Any shot of seeds from this odd datura? IF you get notified of this posting, PLEASE let me know. I really want these. I do have double yellow datura seeds, about 10 left, just got those the other day. But rather have these that you have! thanks

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022