Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pelagikos14

Newbie Brug owner with Bud drop

pelagikos14
13 years ago

Hi all! First let me say sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Purchased a NOID brug this April labeled Pink. I have it in a container on the deck & it seems happy growing like a weed.... No blooms though all season. It is now 6 1/2 feet tall & has "Y'd". New buds are forming, stay for a week, then drop to the deck, no yellowing or anything. HELP! I love this plant & have done lots of research, but can't find any answers. Thanks you guys!

Comments (14)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

I believe they are dropping because it is too hot out.

I will leave this to the experts, but that is what I am told is the reason for buds dropping prematurely.

Has it been warm there? Is it in full sun?

Keriann~

• pelagikos14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Keriann thanks for the info. It has been brutally hot here, & I've considered that as a culprit. Being new to these plants & having waited for so long for a bud though, you can understand my anxiety.
    It is in afternoon sun of about 6 hours. Is that too much?
    Thanks again!

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

I totally understand, this is my first year and I look at them 20 times a day to see new growth. : )

And....I think it is too much 'hot' sun.. I have a few in pots and I move them to let them only have morning sun and 5pm-sundown sunlight.

I would get it in the shade in this hot weather and I bet it will really help.

Can you get it out of the hot afternoon sun? It is usually the hottest at 2-4pm this time of year, so if you can shade it during that time I think you will keep the buds on.
    Best of Luck!

I totally

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I also think it's likely weather related. It's been hot as he11 here this summer. I'm having more bud drop this year then any other I can remember. I don't know that moving them will have any effect. Plenty of mine that have afternoon shade are also dropping buds. I only have about 4 that are holding the majority of their buds and a couple of those are in full day sun. Others are dropping at very early on and some are even dropping buds just before they are about to open. Just wait for Sept and cross your fingers. What I hate about that is that leaves no time for any seed pods that are produced to ripen outside and my pods don't hold well when I move them. I only have a couple seed pods so far this season.

• gottahosta
    13 years ago

If it is in a pot, then it is doubley hot. Can you shade the pot with other pots placed around it? And yes, a bit more shade, altho my brug seedling bed gets afternoon sun from 12-6, but they are all in the ground.
    Good luck finding the perfect spot to enjoy your blossoms.
    ~Brenda

• pelagikos14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Karyn & Brenda! I will try to shade the pot. I can't really move it to a place where it gets less sun & still be able to enjoy it.(It would be on the side of the house where we have no walkway or windows) I appreciate all the advice & I'll be "keeping my fingers crossed"!

• pelagikos14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi again everyone!
    I have another quick question. We've had tons of rain for 2 days & this am when the sun came out, My brug appeared to have wilted looking tips. Not the leaves , just the tips of the trunks at the top. I touched them & they were firm. Anyone experienced anything like this? I also have cuttings if anyone would like to trade?
    Thanks for all the great help here!
    I'm trying to post pics, but can't get the Flickr links to work correctly. UGH 8(
    ~ Holly

• lovetogrowflowers
    13 years ago

Same here, first year in ground, growing like weeds. I have several Y's on all three of mine. The buds just drop and only a few out of about 20-30 buds even look like they're growing.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Holly sounds like we are having the exact same weather. As long as the stem tips are firm I wouldn't worry. We had quite a bit of wind with the storms and some of the softer growth on my plants was blown over. They should straighten out in a couple days. As for the continued bud drop... : (

Sorry I use Photobucket. Can't help you with Flicker.

• pelagikos14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karyn, no further bud drop! You're in Maryland? You must be having the same weather as us. We're in Gloucester, Va right on the Bay. Our temps have gone from 90-100+ to the mid to high 80s in the past week. Whew!
    You were were absolutely correct about the tips too, one day of sun & 85 degree temps, they straightened right up. *Awesome* I'll try another pic..... :)
    ~ Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Brug noid ( maybe? :) ) 'Momma'

• pelagikos14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First surviving bud! I will post pics of first bloom soon. *fingers crossed*
    ~ Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: brug bud

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That should open in a week or two. I'm still having bud drop on many of my brugs. Between the heat and those damn caterpillars I can't win.

• pelagikos14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HooraYyyyy! Great news, finally I have a bloom! What I see so far has a waxy appearance. Do all blooms look like this when first opening? Or could this be indicative of the variety she could be? I will post more photos later today. Yay for me! I still have some slight bud drop, but only three tiny ones in a week. ****** EARL GO AWAY & LEAVE US BE!****** please!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: my 1st bloom! Pink NOID

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Congrats! I hope Earl stays away from the coast.