Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siam_cannas

!!!!!!!!!!!Small Contest!!!!!!!

siam_cannas
14 years ago

Hey everyone, Because of your generousity towards me i have decided to have this little contest.

The first 2 people to guess how many varieties of canna i have in my collection (not including my hybrids), between 1 - 80, or the closest number, will be the winners! Contest ends sunday morning at 7 am.

The winners will recieve some of my hybrid canna seeds. All my hybrid seeds are mixed together, and i have been doing some really nice crosses with stripped petals and coloured foliage. The seeds could turn out to be anything!

here are some examples of my earlier hybrids:

{{gwi:512544}}

{{gwi:522401}}

{{gwi:499652}}

{{gwi:499655}}

{{gwi:499653}}

{{gwi:499661}}

{{gwi:499662}}

{{gwi:499667}}

{{gwi:499663}}

{{gwi:499665}}

{{gwi:473749}}

Good Luck to everyone! :)

Siam.

Comments (68)

• knotz
    14 years ago

My guess is 45...Good Luck everyone :)

• jorjaboy
    14 years ago

78 good year :)

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL Lucy :).

The rain is pouring over here!! Hope everone is having a good day.
    Im off to count cannas!!! Tomorrow morning at 7am the winners will be announced! :D

Good Luck everyone

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

Love a contest!

• bri_fl
    14 years ago

I:m gonna guess that touchmybody has 69.

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

How about 76 but you may be surprised when you count. You need at least 100 before you start to lose count. I didn't think I could possibly have over 200 Brugs last year. LOL

Linda

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

Thanks for doing the contest

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So i just counted all the cannas (not my hybrids), and i know what the winning number is!!!!
    Not much longer before 7am sunday!!!
    I tihkn im excited, even though im not a contestant!
    BTW please remember these cannas seeds are indeed very precious to me. so please post pics when they bloom i would love to see what they turn out.
    Siam :D

• birdgardner
    14 years ago

72?

My fave is the last one, but they're all beautiful.

• princealbert
    14 years ago

My guess is 76 also I would like to say that the wife and I have really enjoyed your Canna pics. Those Hybreds are just astonishing.

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Thank you for having a contest Siam!
    I will guess 79. :)

Karen

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning everyone. Sorry i overslept a bit! Just woke up. I cant believe just how accurate some of you are!

after counting all my cannas yesterday (not my hybrids) the winning number is:

63 thahalibut!!!

And since both closest numbers we also guessed, i will have to send seeds to

rialira - 64 AND honeybunny2- 62

CONGRATULATIONS.
    Please send me and e-mail with your mailing address. I will send out the seeds later this week. my e-mail is touchmybody19@yahoo.com

I will scarify the canna seeds before sending them out.
    When they arrived soak them for 48 hours in water, plant them about 1/4 inch deep into germinating mix and within a few days they will sprout up.

please post pics :)
    Siam.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

to........

thahalibut, rialira,& honeybunny2

Thanks for the game Siam!!!!

later...April

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Congratulations thahalibut, rialira,& honeybunny2!

Siam, this was a fun contest! Thanks!!!

Pam

• bri_fl
    14 years ago

Oh, I am so jealous. Siam, would you be willing to give us a quick tutorial on hand pollinating cannas?

• threas
    14 years ago

Congratulations to thahalibut, rialira,& honeybunny2!!!
    Thanks again, Siam, for the fun contest!

Theresa

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bri, its kinda easy to pollinate them, just have to transfer pollen from the anther on to the stigma. Wait for the pods to develop and then when its dry, you have seeds! The canna flower is odd indeed. Im sure you will notice the white powdery pollen, take some and put it onto the thin pointed part in the middle of the flower. and thats it!

P.s. i never have luck with these contest either. I never guess the right answer! :/

hehehe Siam!

• rialira
    14 years ago

hey wow! I was totally not expecting to win XD

before I accept these, what kind of conditions am I going to need to successfully overwinter them here in the frosty north?

thank you so much! congrats to the other winners!

Ria

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners!

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ria i dont have winter here in Trinidad, but i know most people over winter them, the same as dahlias.
    You would have to do some research. Where are you from btw?

• chena
    14 years ago

OH man!!! I never win a thing...LOL
    BUT.......
    CONGRATS to our three winners and Thank You Siam for the contest !!! That was very fun and Very kind of you!!!
    Kylie

• rigo74
    14 years ago

Darn!!!I was really hoping to win some canna seeds tooo.LOL Siam Thank you for doing this contest for all the GW buddies it has been alot of fun.Keep the pics coming from your garden.

Rigo

• chena
    14 years ago

OH man!!! I never win a thing...LOL
    BUT.......
    CONGRATS to our three winners and Thank You Siam for the contest !!! That was very fun and Very kind of you!!!
    Kylie

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Congratulations to 62,63 and 64 winners!!

the best thing about Siam and his Canna seeds he sends you are not only the potential great hybrids, but man him scarificing them...that safe SO MUCH TIME lol

Siam you are the best!!! I betcha you were surprised by how many you have :-) I wonder how many hybrids you have???

Kylie does it mean something that you posted it twice? rofl

Lucy

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Congratulations to the winners & thanks for a fun contest Siam!

Linda

• sibhskylvr
    14 years ago

Siam

That's a great thing you did for everyone! I know the three winners will love their new future 'babies!' :)

Congrats to:
    thahalibut
    rialira
    honeybunny2

You lucky 'pups!' ;)

• rialira
    14 years ago

trinidad? :3 can I come live with you, siam? pleeease? you won't even have to pay shipping on the seeds! XD

I'm in central connecticut, and we can't afford adequate heat in the winter, so the house is usually between upper 40s and upper 50s :\ we have a space heater now, so I usually try to keep one room at about 65 and it feels so good comparatively, heh.

however, the boy and I might be moving in with his grandmother in the fall, and if that happens, oh man. she keeps that place so toasty :) everything grows well over there, even though she keeps all the curtains shut and there's hardly any light in most of the house.

does anyone have any advice for me as far as overwintering goes? :)

Ria

• chena
    14 years ago

LOLOLOL.. Not a Dang thing Lucy.. Not even sure how that happened...

Kylie

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Thank you for the contest Siam!
    Congratulations to all the winners!!!!

Karen

• figara
    14 years ago

Congrats to the winners.

Thanks Siam for the contest. I like contests even if I am not a winner.Your contest opened my eyes.... I checked my garden and look what I found....One has spots on the flowers (yellow with orange - 2nd picture) and green leaves and the other is orange with red and green leaves (1st & 3rd picture). What are their names?

Before I joined the forum I looked at my flowers with different eyes. From now on I look at them differently and from different aspects.
    Can somebody identify the 4th picture? The flowers grow in tiers on the stem.

Thanks,

{{gwi:533304}}{{gwi:533305}}{{gwi:533306}}{{gwi:533307}}

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Yes that would be lions tail...Your plants look great..Thanks for the contest Siam..Congrats to all teh winners

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL @ Ria :)

Figara, the canna you have with red and green stripped foliage is canna tropicanna. The other one im not sure of. i would need to see more pics of the plant. leaves and height and everything.

hope that helps ,
    BTW that lion's tail is just amazing. really nice.
    Siam.

• thahalibut
    14 years ago

Woohoo! cool, never thought I would win. Thanks for the contest, & all the congratulations. I will email you Siam.
    tim

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

I can't believe I won, I just put my age. Who would have thunk. Siam, how do I send you an email, your member page doesn't give me that option? I want to make sure I send that email to you. Thank you so much, I still can't believe I won. I just got home from work, and found out. I am so excited. Siam, I live in Texas zone 9. These babies will be planted in Rockport Texas, coastal bend. They will love it down here. I will post pictures of your babies in the spring. Barbra aka honeybunny2

• haase
    14 years ago

Hello Siam
    what does that mean, you will scarify the seeds before you ship them out?
    What on earth do you do to them poor little ones>? Why must they be scared??

• figara
    14 years ago

Thanks,Siam
    I'll try to take more picture of the one with green leaves and post them. It can grow up to 5-6ft if I water it good.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Haase roflmao. I had the same question first time I heard it ha ha ha The seed shell is SO HARD...trust me...a nut is easier to crack. So when you take a file or sandpaper etc and file a small knick into the shell, it germinates a lot faster after you soak it. Siam doing it for you saves a LOT of time!! Besides those little seeds always tried to escape and I filed my fingers more then the shell lol

Lucy

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Honeybunny2 i sent you an e-mail :)

canna seeds need to be scarified in order to germinate faster. Lucy is right.

• haase
    14 years ago

Thanks Lucy and Siam for the tutorial. I was serious, I never heard the word "scarify" before. Must be a new one for the dictionary.
    Love ya, hugs, Haase.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Oh Haase we are here to experience, learn and enjoy together.

All I can say is that when I first saw the seeds germinated and started to grow...I LOVED the the way they grow out!! Mind you, it was my first time were I winter sowed out seeds.

Lucy

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Siam, I checked and there is no email from you. I even checked recent deleted, and my trash can, but nothing from you, please resend . Thank you, Barbra

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Barbra you love his e mail address! We all do roflmao

If you scroll up...Siam has it posted under one of his messages in this thread ;-)

Lucy

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Barbra, my e-mail address is touchmybody19@yahoo.com
    what is your e-mail address? when you give it to me i will send an e-mail again.
    hehehe Lucy, :)
    Siam.

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rialira please send me an e-mail with you mailing address please.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Siam you are just lucky that I am married and way to old roflmao Otherwise I might just do it roflmao

oh man I need to stay away from wine roflmao ha ha ha ha

so Barbra how do you like the e mail address? lol

Lucy

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Lucy, I never saw his email address in his post, it was way to the side. Thank you for letting me know. I just sent Siam an email. I still can't believe I won. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Siam, just and update, I had 4 seeds out of 10 that germinated. I planted the plants at the coast about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I checked this weekend, and they love it. They have doubled in size. I should have pictures this summer, I can't wait. Barbra

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Now where was I that I never saw this before? Oh yeah, that's when I had all that water damage and was in a hotel for three months!! Barbra, what a wonderful surprise it will be when you seedlings bloom!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Siam, we went to the coast this weekend, and I had my first canna bloom from the seeds you sent. I took my camera, but forgot the charger. I will describe it to you. The color is true coral with a large cream blotch( not freckles), with a yellow throat. It is beautiful! The blooms are not large, leaves are green and it is taller than the other two canna plants. When we go back in two weeks, I will take a charged camera so I can post pictures. Maybe the other two plants will also be in bloom. Barbra,

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Barbara, thats great, sounds nice. im glad you like it. i would love to see pics of it. :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!