Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaskirt

7 different variegated brugs

vaskirt
15 years ago

Pictures of 7 different variegated brugs. I didn't include Miner's Claim (looked to bad :( for a picture)

Peaches & Cream

Maya

Snow Bank

Jamie

Sunsport

B. Varigata

Axel Rose

{{gwi:534300}}

{{gwi:534302}}

{{gwi:534305}}

{{gwi:534309}}

{{gwi:534311}}

{{gwi:534314}}

{{gwi:534315}}

Comments (49)

• chena
    15 years ago

Edna they all looks great..

• pearlgirl
    15 years ago

I didn't realize that! Glad that you posted them...NOW...
    I know that mine are Peaches & Cream. You have some lovely
    babies there.

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Beautiful Edna! You are so lucky to have all those beauties. Your a good mommy :)

• karyn1
    15 years ago

They look great.
    Karyn

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

ednam, please tell us the difference in the two reverse variegated beside the names? Are the variegations different? The the blooms different or growing habits? I'm interested since I have one that I have been testing for several years.

• gardenpaw
    15 years ago

Very pretty Edna!
    I have Peaches & Cream and it is so slow growing.
    Karen

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Those are gorgeous, they put a lot of variety in your garden even without the blooms. I still have my eye on that variegated brug in the median, I think in a few months it will need to be pruned!!!

Mary

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Lol, you go Mary. Wow, all those plants are so pretty. You must have nearly all the variegated ones! I can't wait to see them bloom. Kylie are you back home?

• plantlover49
    15 years ago

Hi Edna. your plants are beautiful. great job you are doing there. have a great evening. Elizabeth

• vaskirt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Mary !!

Karma, As far as the reverse varigates go, I don't know much since neither have bloomed. Both have buds. The Sunsport has a curly edge on it's leaf that Axel Rose doen't have. But as far as color, I can't tell a lot of difference.

• collielover
    15 years ago

How great! the variegated are my favs. I'm confused on the diff between pc and maya? Do they smell different or does one grow faster? I have pc and it's my fav and was the one who started this obsession, to this day none can compare to it.

• vaskirt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Collielover, When P&C and Maya are side by side, they are like night and day. P&C has much smaller leaves and more yellow than cream color. Maya has that great big leaf with serrated edges. I can't compare the bloom just yet, because my Maya hasn't bloomed.

• ruth_ann
    15 years ago

Collielover
    You would see the greatest difference between Maya and Peaches & Cream in the blooms if you had them side by side blooming at the same time. The leaves and the flower colours are very similar but the shape and type of flower is very different between the 2.

My Maya....The blooms point slightly outward, the stem joining then to the branch is short and the bloom hangs within the base of the calyx, the calyx has 2 or more splits. It is a Candida Brugmansia (Type of Brug)
    {{gwi:534317}}

P&C the blooms hang vertically downward ( not slightly outward), the stem joining the bloom to the branch is much longer, the blooms hang well down below the calyx amd the calyx has only one split. P&C is a Versicolor Type of Brugmansia.
    Shannon's Peaches&Cream.....
    {{gwi:534319}}

Although the color looks quite different in these 2 images, in the same situation and environment they would be hard to tell apart just by the colour, they are very similar.

Edna, the leaves in the image of Sunsport look longer and narrower than those on Axel Rose. Do they seem that way to you when you look at them?
  • neonposey
    15 years ago

Wow Edna! They look great. You have a great collection. Now you just need Emerald Frost. I have Jamie and Sunset and love them even without blooms.

Ruth Ann, good to see you. Your pictures are gorgeous as always!

• collielover
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info I have put off Maya because I did not see any difference, but this helped alot.

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Beautiful. HOpe you get to see lots of blooms on them! They look so pretty and interresting. I surely have to have at least ONE next year.
    Thank you so much for sharing. Always love the pics. They are not only beautiful but also very *educational* for me.
    Luzia

• grrrnthumb
    15 years ago

Edna I'm also curious about the differences between your Sunsport and Axel Rose, but about the flowers really, because the foliage can vary quite a lot based on cultural differences.
    There aren't many people who have both, so if you were interested, you could participate in a little brug research that would really help out the brug community. I'm looking for individuals to try and cross these two and get a successful pod, to prove, or help disprove, that they are actually one-and-the-same.
    Some very experienced hybridizers so far have been unable to get them to cross, which would indicate they are probably the same, and I think a couple more would be approaching proof.
    If you do decide to try it, make sure to protect your blooms very well to make triple-sure that there is no possiblity of an accidental pollination from another plant.
    Congratulations on a really great-looking variegate collection. :^)
    - Tom

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

grrrnthumb, thank you, from what I have tracked down I have to agree with this. Does ABADS have the source of these sports, as I have heard conflicting information.

Edna if you can get either of them to bloom I would be interested in some of the pollen to test the one I have, please.

• vaskirt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tom, Right now, Sunsport has buds, and I can't recall if I saw any on Axel Rose. I will look tomorrow. I have them planted maybe 10' apart. I can tell a difference in the foliage. Sunsport has a curly edge on it and Axel Rose has smooth edges, they look different in that respect. I'm glad I have them planted close together, that rules out the different growing conditions (both are in the ground). I got Sunsport from Eddiedewayne and Axel Rose from Brenda Delph. I will gather all the pollen from Sunsport, and take good pictures and measurements of it's bloom. Hopefully Axel Rose will bloom soon also.

• sommergardens
    15 years ago

I believe Axel Rose and Sunsport are one and the same. I have tried dozens of crosses between the two and have never had one take. I also tried various crosses between the two involving Maya with no luck. At first I thought the plants looked slightly different in my yard, but now that they are large they look the same. As an experiment I decided to place a rooted a cutting of each in one pot so they would grow together in the same environment. Now you cannot tell one from the other and the blooms are identical. I posted a comparison picture of the blooms on the BGI forum a while back. I'll locate the picture and post it here.

I got my sunsport from eddiedewayne and my axel rose from seedsprout.

Fred

• grrrnthumb
    15 years ago

Karma, 'Axelrose' is a sport of Maya, discovered by Kristi Thornburgh, and formally published in 2005. 'Sunsport' is said to be a sport of 'Sunset', discovered by Eddie Dewayne's friend Mary. Perhaps if he checks in here he can tell us her name. :^)
    If Axelrose x Sunsport crosses continue to not take, then we can be fairly certain they are from the same host, and under the Code, similar sports from the same host have only one name. In this case it would be the first one published, 'Axelrose'.
    - Tom

• ruth_ann
    15 years ago

Fred, are the leaves the same shape on your more mature Axelrose and Sunspot?

I have Axelrose, I also have a similar green on green variegation on a sport from my Maya. If I think of it, I need to collect pollens from them and try cross-pollinating them to try and get a seed pod.

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Ok, I understand that you are saying if a seedpod doesn't form then the plants are the same. I thought that 2 of the same plants would not produce a seedpod but I got confused when I looked on the BGI hybridizers database or family tree and saw that some seedlings had the parents listed as rubirosa x rubirosa. Can someone explain how this is possible?
    Shawn

• grrrnthumb
    15 years ago

Shawn I don't think they have any listed as Rubirosa x Rubirosa, could you perhaps be remembering Rubiline x Rubiline? Rubiline is actually a group, not a specific cultivar, that makes up several distinct seedlings of Ecuador Pink x Rothkirch.
    In the big checklist of cultivars, I have changed all those Rubilines to say Ecuador Pink x Rothkirch to avoid exactly that kind of confusion.
    - Tom

• threas
    15 years ago

I'm can't join in the hybridizing discussion. Way over my head. Edna, I just wanted to say beautiful variegated brugs. Do you find one is easier to grow & bloom than another?

Theresa

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Edna, what a wonderful collection of variegated brugs! Under your TLC, they are all growing beautiful and healthy.

What great info on brugs!

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong here but if these came from two different plants if correctly labeled then we do have two new plants. So if the Maya and Sunset were correctly ID then they should produce seedpods? I will say we have 8 of the Reverse Variegate and it really depends on their environment as to the range of variegation. I have also noted from other variegated plants we have or had that they can shoot off a number of different sports, this is why we find them so off the charts. I have also been told that some of these sports may not be capable of producting seedpods, anyone else knoW anything about this?

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Thanks Tom, it could be rubiline x rubiline that 'm thinking of, and that explains it. Since it seems you work on these databases, I have one more question you might be able to answer... Are Rothkirch and Rothkirk the same or different? Thanks for the info.
    Shawn

• grrrnthumb
    15 years ago

Karma yes you are right, if these came from two different plants then these would be two different new sports. However Maya & Sunset are thought by many to be the same plant. The mixed results on crossing these leans towards a match. If there is an odd successful match between Maya & Sunset, it would be really hard to say anything from it becuase the labeling on these worldwide has been such a mixed-up mess for many years.
    More than with any other brugmansia, people have just guessed at a name for their brug based on a picture. The result is that very, very few people in the world can really say for sure whether they have a Maya, Sunset, or something else. :^)
    Shawn, Rothkirk is just a misspelling of 'Rothkirch'.
    - Tom

• eddiedewayne
    15 years ago

...Hi, everybody..very interesting conversation going on here concerning sunsport and axel rose. now,i'm not as educated or experienced as some of you, but i wanted to put in my 2 cents worth...I collected sunsport from sunset, which was growing in Mary Gordon's yard in Graham, NC.(we were testing winter hardiness).....i have both growing here now and i have to say i see very significant differences in the two...in everything from the size of the blooms, the hanging angle on the trumpets and the color of the blooms...
    ..the leaves have differences, the variegation is different ..(and the differences become more obvious as the leaves mature.)the growth pattern difers, as well...i've had sunsport grow over 10' but axelrose has never gone over 5-6'...we did a sunsport x axel rose cross and got a seed pod...grew them out and they were all solid green ( so out they went)
    but, of course conditions vary and we may never reach a concensus on this..i can get some pollen from both of these if someone wants to do a cross and see how it goes...

happy gardening
    eddie

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

eddiedewayne, thank you so much for this added information and I do hope that others will make sure they have the proper ID on the Reverse Variegated that they are using in making this cross work. As we have all learned only DNA will give us the proper ID. Eddie, from my experience I sure wouldn't test Sunset for winter hardiness as we have found anything under 40 may of the variegates are history, except certain ones.

• grrrnthumb
    15 years ago

Thanks for that info Eddie. I'll add Mary's name as "discoverer" to the list at my next update. :^)
    - Tom

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Edna I just want to cogratulate you on the success in growing the varigated brugs so well. Everything else goes beyond my first year knowledge and I better stay out ;-)
    Wish that they blossom a lotand make you happy.
    Please keep us updated.
    Luzia

• collielover
    15 years ago

After seeing some pics that Ruth Ann posted i'm thinking that what I thought was peaches for 8 odd years might be Maya my tag said p&c and below it said(sunset) Years ago that did not mean anything but I sure am confused now.

• gottahosta
    15 years ago

Okey, another P & C bites the dust. Here is my photo of my P & C, big healthy, fast growing plant, unlike my Maya from last year, which is about a foot high and languishing.

{{gwi:534321}}

Well, another Maya, huh? At least this one is healthy!

Thanks, Ruth Ann!!! I think!! LOL!!

• chrisb2008
    15 years ago

I just bought my first brug in a plant sale. It was simply labeled as "Brugmansia variegata" with a note that it has peach-colored blossoms. There is lots of information out there about named variegated cultivars, but very little about this "generic" one. Can anyone confirm that the generic variegata does indeed have peach colored flowers? Thanks!

• jumpin4joy
    15 years ago

AS most I love the varigated ones myself. One day this week I am supposed to get a Angels Sunbeam and a Sunset. I really hope they arrive safely. Of the varigated ones I really have to say Snowbank is My favorite. I have it and Jamie so far. Your collection is beautiful. Great Work!

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

chrisb2008, no one can do that. It would depend on the company's supplier and what was their source for the cuttings since we now are seeing different colored variegated bloomers. You would best buying a named one that you know will have the color bloom you seek.

• eddiedewayne
    15 years ago

i finally located one of the first pics of sunsport . this pic was taken 07/14/05 , mary may have a few before that date . i think this sport was discovered early spring that year .

this is not a good pic and its hard to see the variegated leaves on left hand side .

{{gwi:534354}}

next time i see her , i will ask for more pics .

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

Now that one is a keeper! Do I see this correctly, different variegations at the same time? I want to see more photos of this one, please!

• ladylotus
    15 years ago

That is very interesting. I love the variagation that is green with the darker green around the edge of the leaf. Very interesting.

~Tj~

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

I hope you all dont mind..I really wanted to bump this up for all the newbies to see..:) Barb

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Thanks Rosepedal. I think I am going to post a link to this on Eddies site for someone who was asking about variegated brugs.
    Shawn

• xeriscape8321
    15 years ago

I have one of my hybridized crosses that came up as a variegated seedling. Fred Sommers of Sommer Gardens is the seedling parent. He named this new one "Freckles". Fred does have a website and I assume he will be offering this new one for sale. Mine has not flowered yet but it is a cream colored flower I'm told. The cross is KBS x Ludgers Summer Dream.

{{gwi:534359}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Sommer Gardens

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Gary that one is out of this world...I gotta buy that for sure...Whoooo Hooooo Thank you soooo much for sharing it...:) Barb

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

NO more varigated for me. At least for now. They hate me and all but one left me :-(

Lucy

• vaskirt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gary, I like all the variegated ones ! I want one of every kind ! I like the name freckles.. so cute !

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Edna...

You sure do have a nice collection of variegated brugs in your garden!!!

I am TOTALLY jealous!!! I just love the look!

I did 'clip' your original post to save in my records for future reference. I have two--Snowbank (3rd year) and recently acquired a Sunset from Eddie. The Snowbank has yet to flower...I baby it in regards to sunlight exposure, and I don't know if that hinders any potential blooms...

Thanks for sharing your beauties with us Edna!!!

~Mary Jane

{{gwi:534363}}

• marcie_new
    15 years ago

Hi saw your post will you be willing to trade with me? I would love to have a variegated bruggie PLEASE! I have single yellow brug also dble white Brug. I do have some other plants .