Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: Eloise this is for you

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 17:16

My babaco is actually holding a fruit. So far anyway. This is the longest one has held. Ill be thrilled if it ripens. I'm surprised it's doing so well considering it's a cloudforest plant and we've had such high heat. Cross your fingers for me : )
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: Eloise this is for you

Karyn, I am keeping my finger crossed for you and for me too. I do have one too and has a few fruits on it. Like you, I hope they will hold and ripen. Last year the fruits did not hold. Lots of fingers crossed here:-)
Papaya

o

Yours looks wonderful!!!!! It looks like you will have some ripe babaco fruit in a couple months. Let me know how it tastes. I've never tried one. The only place you can find them for sale is CA. I wonder why they aren't more readily available? There's plenty of fruit that is sold outside of it's optimim climate.

o

Karyn, I am thrilled that your babaco papaya is setting fruit for you, and so quickly!!!!! I am excited now after seeing your tree and also Pat's. I have two that I got at a CRFG's meeting. They apparently were easy to root for whoever brought them to the meeting. It's super hot here too.

o

Oh boo, I miss my papaya trees! I lived in the Tampa Bay area and had papaya trees that had both male and female flowers on the same plant, and they produced so well! Fun to see yours!

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 12:54

Congrats to both of ya'll!!!!! That is really cool!!!

Kylie

o

They are easy to root. You are supposed to keep them at a single stem so I've trimmed it back before and rooted the cutting.

Papayas are one of the easiest tropical fruits that I can grow here. The babacos are a bit more finicky about temps.

o

I bought mine a year ago and was the first time I saw it around here. There were 2 and I am sorry I did not bought both of them. I bought it more because I liked the leaves. Now I am excited that it has fruits and are holding.

Karyn I'll let you know if they will ripe.

Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here