Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagating variegated angels trumpets

Posted by turbodogg98 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 18:21

i would appreciate any and all info on how to get the cuttings to root and grow for next year. i have had no luck with them rooting in water. please help me with this. this has been the worst year i have ever seen for growing angels trumpets. i usually have 150 to 200 rooted cuttings but not this year. did anyone have any better luck?. thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagating variegated angels trumpets

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 18:49

Hey!!
For me the warm time is the best time to start some Brugs.. You may want to give Sphagnum Moss a try.. Some use pots I believe Mike has a demo that is very successful and some just wrap the ends in moist sphagnum and poly.... If it is hot where you are you may just want to dip one in rooting hormone and stick it next to the mother plant works pretty good here.. Good Luck be sure to let us know what works for you!! Always looking for something new to try!

Kylie

o

I root variegated brugs the same as any others with no problem. You might want to try using LF sphagnum. I just moisten a big handful of moss and wrap it around the lower few inches of the brug cutting and cover it or you can pack the moss wrapped cutting into a plastic or styrofoam cup and cover it (with an opening for the cutting) to hold in the moisture. I don't make any drainage holes in the cup but make sure there's no water standing on the bottom.

o

Kylie I didn't see your post before I posted. lol

o

I started over 150 cuttings, green tip and hardwood, in my basement last winter, with about a 15% loss. My best attempts are made in the summer. I just stick my cuttings right in the ground- I live in NC zone 7b- we have sandy soil amended with composted horse manure and wood chips- so it's light and fluffy, and drains fast. I only water them when they are dry- so they don't rot- they are famous for rotting. they take right off in a week or two. Be careful with the variegated ones, they are usually patented and we're not suppose to propagate them.
welcome to our forum!
kasha77

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here