Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvbrugs

brugs not blooming

luvbrugs
13 years ago

i Have some nice cuttings from Eloise and Brenda, they are doing dandy!, well, kinda, NO blooms, they are in containers, but they are not growing or blooming at all. What can i do? they have plenty of water and i feed them regularly, they seem fine, just a bit yellow tips, but other than that they look happy, any suggestions to force them to bloom?

Comments (5)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

What kind of soil did you plant them in? Are they root bound? Are they in too much sun?

Just a few thoughts

Keriann~

• darlene87
    13 years ago

I have 5 brugs. My first one I had for 3 yr. before it bloomed. After much searching, I found out that they have to make a Y in the branch. Or, a straight stem does not flower, it has to Y. Think you could search that out on the web. The more Y's, the more flowers. I have found that to be true in my case. Also I feed them a little epsom salts every 2 weeks.All of mine I got as stick cuttings, so it did take some time.
    Darlene

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks ladies,
    mine all have Ys, yes, they are in full sun, that may be the problem?i feed themevery three weeks, but not epson salts. I will try that, but what is root bound? Those two older ones have bloomed heavily last year. the new baby ones have never bloomed...I m kind of sad because some really nice people gave them to me, and I feel I couldnt take good care of them :(

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Hi again!

Root bound is when the roots have gone round and round and round the pot and the soil becomes dense and hard thus strangling itself and the roots can't 'suck-up' the proper water and nutrients. Hmmm if it is a cutting from another plant and you have both in the same conditions it may just be that you need time. I am not sure what zone you and in, but I am in the WI/IL border (5B) and I was told to stop fertilizing them now so they can start preparing for their winter dormancy period. Do you make them dormant in the winter? If so, I would stop fertilizing them so you can get them inside without too much shock.

Some of mine are covered in Y's and blooms and some have 3-9 Y's and no blooms with no sign of blooms. I am not very good with patients but I am learning a lot with growing these beautiful Brugs. I am just thankful the foliage and the structure of the plant is so pretty, even without the blooms.

Ok-full sun. Mine get pretty sad in full sun but thrive in morning and 4pm-dusk light. They wilt a bit but pop right back around 7. I set one of my Brugs in full sun and it stunted it quite a bit... Back to the 'shade' it went and then it put out some more Y's and was much happier.

Side note- I thought epson salts were just to green up the foliage...??? Not really 'fertilizer'... Is this the wrong way of thinking?

I hope that helps and it isn't more confusing for you.

Keriann~

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Don't worry too much about the brugs Gaby; they will bloom when they are ready. I have several that I got as cuttings as well, and only one bloomed one flower. Sounds like you are taking care of them better than I do.

Root bound means when plants outgrow their space/container, i.e., their roots have filled out the container and displaced the soil.