Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

Can anyone identify this foliage problem? (Pics)

lovetogrowflowers
13 years ago

I'm not sure what it is. Being new I had to come here for help. I'm about to give up on Brugs. As much as I love them, I just don't have the time or money it seems to keep these things looking good. Three days ago they looked great, no blooms though, but possibly due to heat, buds dropping but the foliage looked wonderful.

Yesterday I find this (pics below)It was on nearly every section, in the middle top where new growth would be. I'm sure it's some kind of virus, or something that will cost money to fix. I'm just fed up. These things are beginning to be more trouble than they are worth. However, as fed up as I am I'm still here trying to find out what may be wrong "this time" with brugs.

{{gwi:537177}}

{{gwi:537179}}

{{gwi:537181}}

{{gwi:537182}}

{{gwi:537184}}

Comments (10)

• lovetogrowflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some of the pics I found on the internet, it resembles tomato spotted wilt. Is it? Either way, just please advise what I should do? Is it time to just give up and "Chop These Down With A Dull Axe?" Just to ensure it's painful as it has been for me in trying my best to care for them.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Don't give up yet Scott, some of the experts will be able to give you an idea on what's wrong, if anything is wrong. I am not an expert, but perhaps, it's the weather affecting the leaves.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I really don't know but it might be. You mentioned that you thought that you had thrips in a previous post and that's how the virus is spread. I don't know if the virus is fatal or if removing all the foliage and cutting back the branches a bit will help.

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Hey there Scott - I can provide you with my own pictures that look just like yours. That is sun burn. Sometimes, due to water in the air, the sun is like a magnifying glass and burns in certain areas on a leaf. Oddly, it appears, it misses all the other leaves, just one leaf on many different plants. Just cut off the brown, or remove the whole leaf. You probably won't see it again, unless we hit another heat wave and the moisture isn't coming down...just floating around up there forming little clear globs just to focus the sun and burn your plants with.

I had a little last year, but this year was nasty! I haven't seen any develop in the past week or so since it cooled down here. But some lighter damage may show up a few days AFTER it really happened.

I don't know about that yellowing. That just looks like too much water or not enough. Some of it is burn but not all of it.
    - Sandy

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That browning doesn't look like sunburn to me. It looks like some type of disease.

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

What he cant show you is what it looks like before it goes brown. There are variations of burns, and you can see the different levels there are, sometimes all at one time but usually on different plants. You cant see the whimpy leaf texture of the area just before it dries out in any of the pictures and he does have some real strong burns where it barely had time to yellow before going to brown dry crisp stage. Sometimes, these types of burns will only hit one small spot on the whole leaf, some times a whole edge, like a laser passed over it and the rest of the leaf just dies off and most of the time its noticable the same day. He wont see any new ones develop, unless like I said before. Nothing is spreading or is growing on any of my many brugs that had a leaf burned. The tell tail sign is, as soon as you see this kind of whimping, yellowing or browning crispy spots, you will see they dont spread. Only the original affected area continues through all the stages. That would not include dieing yellow leaves.

So Scott, it would help people if you can confirm this.
    That it doesnt spread beyond the borders of the first time you saw them, as that is a sun burn.

- Sandy

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Regardless of what it looks like early on I don't believe that's due to sunburn. Whatever is affecting the foliage might be making it photosensitive but that doesn't look like any true sunburn/scorching that I've seen.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Pic #3 looks like sunburned leaves to me too, but I don't know about the others. Now, back to the Owlbox!

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

In this first shot 3 visable plants have sunburn. The datura got hit on 3 leaves right down the front. There is some colorado potato tick damage on the lower leaves if you look close enough - tiny spots right through. The leaf hanging on the datura is from a brug to the left thats not in the picture. The back 2 PPxAmber brugs each got burned on 1 spot although you would need to zoom in to see the leaf on the back one, one of the newer ones pointing our way, although the burn took the tip off. Nothing spread. This picture is from at least a couple of weeks ago.

{{gwi:537185}}

The datura in question is on the far left of this shot, it only shows its heighth so Ill get some shots of these same plants tomorrow to prove it does not spread. Wont I look silly if it did...lol
    {{gwi:537188}}

This is a brutal shot, parental guidance is necessary.
    The earwigs second generation came while I wasnt looking. This brug was really attacked in a matter of 2-3 days, though I did see some smaller damage before - should of heeded the warning signs and got out the poison. Its also in one of the high sun to late day locations at the side of the house. And is showing multiple stages of the burn. The whimpy green area is just before the slight yellowing you can see on the left leaf. This plant got it all over!Its one of 2 Jinny Linds of which its leaves are my favorite. This does not usually happen but this summer has been nasty.
    {{gwi:537190}}

I pride myself on perfect leaves despite that even branches from other plants or finger nail holes grow with the leaves. My neem oil mix, usually sprayed underneath the leaves, usually keeps most pests away (colorado beetles and colorado potato ticks this year) but earwigs require their own poison. This is the other Jinny Lind and Super Pink. More in an on-off shaded area.

{{gwi:537191}}

Sandy

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Here you go, some pic's to help you relax.
    First a totally recovered Jinny Lind xnoid. Zoom in to see where the damaged leaves were removed. I take them off, only 2-3 at a time, the plant needs them as long as possible. Doesn't take long to recover big luscious leaves.

{{gwi:537193}}

The other side of Jinny Lind xnoid which also shows a leaf with an example of bug sucking 'burn looking' spots on one of the early leaves left on. Some times these are solid little patches but you'll see smaller spots around to tell you the difference. Zooming in helps. The close up of another leaf shows you want I mean but there's no solid patch on this example, just smaller ones.
    {{gwi:537195}}
    Bug sucker spots not sunburn here.
    {{gwi:537197}}

The 2 MEM xnoid's and Datura now. The one leaf on the back MEM xnoid burned was removed as it was half burned.
    {{gwi:537198}}
    Jack's purple is towering in front of the MEM's which aren't going to do too much this year anyway. I swear a couple of these daturas are growing like trees. Zoom in to see how good of shape they're in.
    {{gwi:537199}}

All very happy and healthy. I have also considered, as a cause, the possibility of gamma, x-rays or neutrino bonbardment from the sun...lol. It boils down to if it's not a problem anymore, don't sweat it.

There was a coronal mass ejection reaching earth on the 25th and 26th(it's common as far as I understand, unless we just figured this stuff out just in time to be fried).
    So if anybody notices any similiar 'sunburn' additional damage to plants in the next day or two, I'd like to hear about it. Maybe it's related, I hear bad storms are.

Keep your heads when reading on the sciences these days. They're worse than power tripping occults. Money, money, money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spaceweather