Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitteebee

super prolific rubbery stemmed datura ID wanted

Kittee-Bee Berns
12 years ago

hello!

i used to be more active in this forum when i lived in sunny hot new orleans, where brugs and datura thrive. my husband and I moved to portland, or a few years ago and I gave up on having big datura here. usually i start a few, but our summers are not hot and are often not even sunny, so they might get a few flowers on them, but don't usually even have time to ripen any seed pods.

here's my question. there's a house i walk past a bunch and last summer i noticed this amazing double purple datura growing like mad all over their garden. it wasn't bushy the way i'd come to know datura, it had rambling super rubbery stalks and it was amazing. i left a not for the folks to please email me with the variety, but i never heard from them.

this year after i'd already purchased my own datura, i went by to see if they had anymore growing. nothing. about a month later i went by and they had a small datura going. it almost looked like it had come out of the ground like a perennial, but i know datura don't do that--besides volunteering.

so i've gone by their house a few times since and their datura again is amazing and all over the place. this year the flowers are white.

can anyone tell me what sort of datura this is? i am just dying to grow some. especially since the variety does so well in our climate.

thanks so much!

xo

kittee

Comments (3)