Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
super prolific rubbery stemmed datura ID wanted

Posted by kittee portland, or zone 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 20:42

hello!
i used to be more active in this forum when i lived in sunny hot new orleans, where brugs and datura thrive. my husband and I moved to portland, or a few years ago and I gave up on having big datura here. usually i start a few, but our summers are not hot and are often not even sunny, so they might get a few flowers on them, but don't usually even have time to ripen any seed pods.

here's my question. there's a house i walk past a bunch and last summer i noticed this amazing double purple datura growing like mad all over their garden. it wasn't bushy the way i'd come to know datura, it had rambling super rubbery stalks and it was amazing. i left a not for the folks to please email me with the variety, but i never heard from them.

this year after i'd already purchased my own datura, i went by to see if they had anymore growing. nothing. about a month later i went by and they had a small datura going. it almost looked like it had come out of the ground like a perennial, but i know datura don't do that--besides volunteering.

so i've gone by their house a few times since and their datura again is amazing and all over the place. this year the flowers are white.

can anyone tell me what sort of datura this is? i am just dying to grow some. especially since the variety does so well in our climate.

thanks so much!
xo
kittee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: super prolific rubbery stemmed datura ID wanted

hope that you hear more on the subject
I am in Ontario Canada and have daturas that come up every year in one of my flower beds but not in others

It is as well one particular Datura that I received a plant from an Oriental man, living downtown Toronto
It is a little different than the normal white datura that we see in that the flower is larger and longer. THe bed that it reseeds is in the fornt of theh ouse and part of it is under a 100 year plus maple tree which I expect gives the plants there some protection As well we receive a great deal of snow

Expect, although Portland is a lovely city, there is nothing like the state of Louisiana and the cities and towns there in

I was fortunate, about three years ago, to spend a month wandering around in the state. Will always treasure memories of things I saw and people whom I met there.

o

• Posted by kittee z9B New Orleans (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 10, 11 at 0:46

mystery solved, we knocked on their door today and learned it is datura wrightii. anyone have experience with this kind?

xo
kittee

o

I grew that one in Florida. It's a night bloomer, and very fragrant. Mine didn't come back after a hard freeze, but it grows very easily from seed. Did they say if they get seed from theirs?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here