Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gee8ch

Datura Info?

gee8ch
16 years ago

Hi All: Have become interested in growing Datura, esp. the doubles. Hope this is the forum to ask questions about them. Haven't found a sep. listing for them. Are they grown from seed or like brugs better from cuttings? How tall do they grow? Am thinking of planting them around my Brugs to soften the look of the woody trunks. Can they be left in the ground (So Cali) and do they die back? I feel another addiction coming on!! :-) Appreciate any info and help getting started. TIA Gloria

Comments (70)

• tropicalchris
    16 years ago

I have been growing datura for 3 years now and they are a blast!!! I found a great way to germinate the seeds by putting them in a tray of soil and wraping them with saran. I have more plants than I know what to do with and they are getting so big (about 7ft)! If you don't keep the flower on the plant you will have no seed. You have to be careful they don't fall off prematurly. I'm watching all my pod for next years crop and will cut them when they crack open and dry them in the house. I usually put them in an envelope (an ol used one will do) but not too many as the humidity could make them go bad. It takes time for them to open so I have to be patient but if I'm not watching every day I'm going to miss them and they will be all over the ground.

• darlene87
    16 years ago

Beth, if you have any seed left, I would love to have a few. I have better success with datura than brugs it seems. If you are out of seed, that will be ok, I can order from a catalog.
    Darlene

• beth7happy
    16 years ago

Darlene..have plenty of seed left. Please email me - but not via garden web.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

My double purples also set the most seed pods. My triple yellows form the fewest. My DH ran over my only double white plant that was loaded with pods. I went nuts (I was able to salvage half of one ripe pod). How the @#%& could he run over a 3' plant with the lawn mower???? It's not like our grass was long or anything. The dats are growing along the outside edge of a row of blue hydrangeas so they are quite visible. He finally told me that I could mow the lawn if I didn't like it so I shut up. lol
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn: You seem surrounded by "Plant Killers"LOL. Good thing you luv, luv them! Got a chuckle out of "... I could mow the lawn f I didn't like it so I shut up" (Good decision!) Gloria

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

LOL Oh Karyn. . .no - you don't want to do the lawn! I'm so sorry. I know exactly how you feel.

I planted two Giant Thujas (they were 1 1/2 feet tall) for my parents . . .they were so excited. Little guys looked great - going to be tall and pretty.

The following weekend. . they had been mowed.

I yelled HOW did they MOW THOSE?!?!? Mom said "well, you didn't mark them" I said they were over a foot tall, and they're EVERGREENS. They had to hit them TWICE with the mower to get them! What, is he in 3rd grade or something?

Even DH said, yea, that was really ignorant, he had to TRY to get those.

So, I tagged what was LEFT of them (believe it or not, those stubbies still had green and were still trying.)

He got the REST of them the following weekend - even tagged with long green plastic tape.

THAT lawn service was fired. My dad was so disappointed. I have 3 more for them - but I'm not putting them down until this fall when all lawn activity is over.

• jas4141
    16 years ago

Enjoying the thread but would like more clarification on growing brugs/datura together and likely viruses. I have had a couple of my brugs (quite large ones, too) die and they are both planted near datura, one near a purple dat and the other next to a yellow dat. Is this just coincidence or might the daturas have caused the probelm?? They just seemed to dry up practically overnight. I have a couple of other brugs planted near a purple dat and they seem to be fine...at least right now....will move them if there is a problem with dats.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

The only brug virus that I'm aware of is the mosaic virus and that doesn't normally kill them but does make them unsightly and spreads. I've never heard of a brug or datura specific virus that would cause them to dry up and die. I have brugs and daturas planted together (several different varieties of both plants) and have never had a problem.
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn: So glad to hear you have Brugs and Datura planted together with no ill effects. I really would like to see that combo, especially to soften the look of a bare Brug trunk. (I am trying to grow my Brugs tree-shaped) and was unaware that Dats "carried" a virus. Don't have any ready for planting yet, but I think I will chance it and plant a few Brugs and Dats together. Esp. the double purples from the seeds Beth sent me. THANKS, Again, Beth!...
    Gloria

• jas4141
    16 years ago

Thanks, Karyn, but since it was mentioned early on in this thread, wanted to hear more about it. I had hoped that would be the answer because I like them together, too, as Gloria mentioned. Must have been something else that caused the two to dry up so suddenly.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Karyn - you can plant them together? That's FANTASTIC news. I'd love to put these in the same area to "bush" at the lower heights of the tall brugs.

Especially the double purple swirls and my purple people eaters (which I think are the same.)

Not to mention - something on the leading edge of that sun that gets blasted until 3:00pm. I was going to try another CG in that area and a couple other "sun safe" brugs there. I'll put some daturas there.

That is great news indeed. Especially since DH complains that the brug blooms hang down - and he likes the daturas that point up - so you can see the blooms.

Guess I need to go ask for some seeds!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Beth7 - I still have those green beany balls on the plant. They're not drying. How long do those hang around on the plant?

I keep checking because I'd like to definately get some seeds - but they're just. . . .there.

The larger plant only has little black nubs. (and it's going to flower again, one last time!)

Do I pick the little green balls now and dry them? Or wait for the plant to get ready to drop them?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Leave the datura pods on the plant until they start to split. If you are going to have a freeze before any look ripe then go ahead and cut off the largest ones and put them in a paper bag to dry. They take a while to ripen. I found my first ripe dbl purple pod today.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Karyn:

Ah ok. Thanks. They've been there forever - and don't seem inclined to "dry."

One plant is going to flower again - no seed pods. The other isn't flowering, but won't give up the pods. My daturas seem be be a bit dysfunctional.

• purplenana
    16 years ago

Hi, Just found you guys. So this is where you are other than the Brug site. Is it to late in the year to try and get datura seeds for next spring? I just emailed Beth7happy but if anyone else has seeds for postage, please let me know. Purplenana

• purplenana
    16 years ago

Hi Again, Didn't realize where I was. I tell you, since I found gardenweb for me it's like walking into a candy store. I'll take one of everythins please. purplenana

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Purplenana send me an email.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Karyn - remember all those beany balls that I was waiting for them to dry?

The construction guys knocked ALL of them off - they're on the GROUND somewhere now. . .

I got 1/2 of one. . .that is sooooooooo. . .sooooooo. . .was waiting forever on those beany balls to dry and now they're gone. Grrrrrrrr. . .

And they piled siding on my musa bajoo. . .THANKS FELLAS. .. yea. . looks. . .great. . nice job. . .grrrrrrrr. . ..

• daisy12
    16 years ago

I would love to get some of the dat seeds, if someone has some extras.
    I have white seeds to share.

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

The reason we do not grow them together is due to the added attraction of critters and spreading of viruses that I read some time back. We used to grow them together but noted the added stress on the brugs when these were grown in close contact. It could be that the Dats were getting to much of a good thing by being close to the Brugs??

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

I finally got some short double yellow datura (not ballerinas) that have a nice fragrance. They smell just like lemon cookies (the ones with the frosting in the middle :D ) I was out on the patio early in the morning and could smell them a few feet away. There were ants all over them too. Later in the day the smell was gone and so were the ants! My other doubles have a very faint smell but these were stronger.
    ~SJN

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

daisy12, I have some double purple ballerina seeds if you want some email me!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

KHT - is that why we aren't supposed to grow them together? Because they don't like the same types of conditions? i.e. dats like hot/dry and not a lot of feeding and the Brugs like lots of food and water?

I still can't find anything about a virus. I'll have to surf some more.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I think Karma answered in a previous post but it's because they are all susceptible to the same diseases. If you get a fungus/virus in one it will likely spread to the other. I've never had any problems and I grow a row of daturas a couple feet in front of my brugs.

Dweeb what happened with the construction workers reminds me of the boneheaded move my DH pulled. I had one, almost ripe pod on my double yellow datura and DH ran over it with the lawn mower! He said that he didn't see it. How the $#&@ can you not see a 3' plant, much less run it over??!!!!! I have plenty of dbl purple seeds if you want some.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

LOL Karyn. Yep, hard to yell sometimes when they're so patient about other stuff. (grin)

I was just reading about CDV (Columbian Datura Virus) - and one article is thought to not have a prevelant problem here in the US - but it was found at a couple places in Florida and it was transmitted "under glass" (in a green house.) Not so much a rampant problem here.

This is the only information I seem to be able to find about any "virus" between the two. And it seems to be more a problem in Europe and the Eropean varieties than here in the US. (Might explain why we can't get some of those magnificent beauties here very often.)

That's why I was asking - I'm thinking that it's more you don't do that in Europe, maybe ok here in the US. I think I may try it.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

You might want to use a brug that you have multiples of so that if you do get a virus it won't hurt so much if you have to destroy a plant. Keeping the ground clear of plant debris really cuts down on nasties in the garden.

You should total up an invoice for all the plants that those moron contractors destroyed and deduct it from their final payment! When I ranted to DH he told me to do the mowing. I'd rather lose a seed pod. lol
    Karyn

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

Sorry technodweeb, I guess I need to read everything and not skim. Thank Karyn1 for the back up!! Yes you can grow them together if you give them the right conditions but when one saids this the newbies, well take this as gospel. I don't recommend this due to they are all in the same family and yes this virus/fungus can spread like wild fire. Yes we are seeing it in the USA and I know of growers that have gotten it. Just like they carry the genes for the virus and the goal it to keep them health.
    Not to be an alarmist but the warning is there, know what you grow, whom you buy/trade with and keep them healthy.
    Do distory those that you feel are not safe instead of trading. Do read up on virus and keep being educated on these.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

I have 4 hugh double datura plants that are full of seed pods, my friend Linda, told me to just put panty hose on the pods and they will collect the seeds. I just wanted to share this great idea with all of you. This was my first year growing the double datura, I traded on the plant exchange with someone from Maryland. I traded plumeria cuttings for my plants, if this works out like Linda says it will, I should have enought to share. Barbra,

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

KHT - yep. I've been watching for stuff like that. I'm a little weary of getting anything.

I have ENOUGH problems already with mites - don't need any other problems. And I'm not interested in spreading the mite problem. (Hence the Anti Stress)

Man I never had this problem in CA - those were idiot proof there.

So I didn't want to chance a virus problem - but if the issue is low - I don't want to act like a bruggy hypochondriac either.

In either case - I don't think I can put them together - one needs full sun - and the brugs need some relief. That means a considerable distance between them. I lost a tree that I wanted to shade some of the Brugs - so they'll have to be moved or I'll have to modify the area I was counting on.

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Dweeb ... Watch that "idiot proof" kind of talk!!! LOL
    signed "exception to the rule ... sometimes idiot from CA," Gloria!!!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

LOL Gloria. I didn't have the buggies in CA - and they got to stay in the ground there. They did great.

This broad mite whatever is killlin' me - as well as the construction guys. I can't put them in the SUN because they'll be in the way. Everything is shaded - getting leaves - being munched - crunched - crushed - tossed. . .(grin) And yea, I need "idiot proof" in Illinois. (grin)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Barbra the pantyhose work great on all kinds of seed pods. I even use them on my figs when they are almost ripe to catch them before they drop and it can sometimes keep the darn tree rats away from them. I don't have a problem losing seeds from my daturas that produce smooth pods. It's the ones with the spikey pods that explode for me.
    Karyn
    PS: Barbra I'm in MD and you sent me a plumeria cutting and a blood banana earlier this year but I don't remember what I sent you. The plumie and banana are both doing great.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Karyn, I am so excited to find out the plants are doing great. I got vodoo lilies, from you, I planted them in the shade, I hope they will come back in the sping. I got my datura from a man in Maryland. I sent him plumeria. Has your Plumeria bloomed yet? It is a nice pink bloom. I have a plumeria that bloomed this weekend that is the most beautiful hot pink to red color I have ever seen, the blooms are hugh. I think is is the most beautiful plant I have, and it smells like heaven. I cannot remember where I got it from I think Hawaii. Maybe we can trade again in the spring. I would like to trade for double brugmansia. Barbra

• karyn1
    16 years ago

The plumie developed an inflo very soon after I started rooting it but the buds didn't hold well because it was so young and didn't have much of a root system. I'll probably get some nice blooms on it next season and they'll hold because the plant is doing great. Your new plumie sounds beautiful. I like the reds, pinks, oranges and rainbows the best. The voodoo lily foliage dies back unless it has a seed pod, then it will hold on to the stalk with the pod. You should see it coming back up early in the spring. I'd love to trade again and should have some nice double varieties.
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Dweeb: What you're forgetting is that here in SO CALI it is sooo hot and sooo dry the plants have no juice left for the bugs! They're better off staying off the plants and living underground!!! LOL Gloria

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

LOL Gloria - I bet.

Hey - you're safe from those fires, aren't you? You're not in any danger, are you?

Can't remember what area you said you were in.

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Dweeb:So glad I'm not in that horrible situation this time around. Live in the foothills and was evacuated about 6 years ago. Most of us waited until the fire was behind the house across the street. Know it sounds foolish, but until you're faced with walking away from your home, property, and belongings you don't realize how difficult it is to do. Besides, I had 2 Irish Wolfhounds to try to evacuate with!! These fires today are horrendous. Soot and ash in the air All over So CA. Air hard to breathe even tho fires are not that close. Dogs and cats are jittery, they seem to sense the absolute disaster and destruction going on. Big problem is that even after the fires, we will be faced with mud slides from the denuded hills/mountains. Got to LUV California! Gloria

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Gloria:

My heart goes out to you.

Remember the Oakland fires? At the time, I was 2 hills over in Walnut Creek, foothills, East Bay. It was petrifying. I feel for you - I'm so sorry.

I could hear the sound of the choppers right there flying over the house - while you heard the same sound - slightly delayed - on the news channel. It was almost surreal.

The smell of smoke - I can only remember a hand full of times I was that frightened. Orange glow lighting up the back of the hill I could see. . .it was awful.

I'm glad you're not near there - and glad you're safe.

Re: Mudslides - yes, after the foliage is destroyed - and the rains come - and all it takes is a slight jiggle from a tremor to bring a hill down. Hopefully all will settle for those poor people. My thoughts are with them.

Anyway - again, I'm glad you're out of harms way.

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the good thoughts. Can't believe that many of these fires were arsen. How sick is that? So many people displaced, so much havoc ... can't help but think ... there but for the Grace of God go I... Prayers for all affected. Gloria

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

A great plant to have in the garden! :) An interesting site that has a little bit of information information to help newbies & all Dat lovers!

{{gwi:538322}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Datura Seeds

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Mike: Good link, useful info. Thanks. BTW what is the name of the bloom you're posting? It's gorgeous. Gloria

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Gloria

I purchased (several years ago) & grew the seeds of this plant as Datura Metel Black Currant Swirl. I do sometimes wonder - after seeing pictures others have posted.

Mike

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Mike - that looks like the black currant swirls I have. (No SEED pods though - grrrrrrr)

I had some "purple people eaters" which I think were the same thing. They both look like that.

I'm going to bet food and sun make differences in depth of color.

But boy - when they emerge - dark, dark purple, and I love the black stems. What a beautiful contrast!

I want to make an effort next season to grow more of those. Not the little white ones - the bright yellows and purple ones. DH likes those better than Brugs.

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

dweeb!

I'll have extra seeds later - if you'd like a few. Tell DH he really needs to have 'Goree Island'. Mine is about 5' - 6' tall & very bushy. And what's wrong with white? :)

Mike
    {{gwi:538324}}

{{gwi:538326}}

'Goree Island'

{{gwi:538327}}

'Goree Island'

{{gwi:538330}}

And do you mean yellow - like this? :)

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Wow - yea, like that!

No - I have nothing against white ones - it's the itty bitty white ones - where the flower is so small and dainty, it's smaller than a petunia. That's what I meant.

I don't have a "delicate" landscape hand. Small, delicate and dainty won't work for me. Everyone in my life is a Brutus, even my dog.

Big feet, big vehicles, big old dog, the landscaper and his "big" mowers and monster rakes, and a leaf blower that could remove siding. (grrrrrrrrr)

The little dainty white flowers - they wouldn't make it here, that's all - they're beautiful - but too delicate for my "homestead" which is probably more like the wild west sometimes.

The guys doing my siding? My Pink sedum looks like guacamole on the ground around my air conditioner.. .

I'd love some extra seeds when you're done trading Mike! That would be wonderful! Thank you! And DH would love that Goree Island. He likes dats. . .

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention the two year old next door who just got one of those little battery operated jeeps.

I was laughing as he slowly took out the lilies at the corner in their house each time he made that turn shorter and shorter.

THEN - he found out it's fun to "4 wheel" through MY hosta and fern bed in the front yard. (grin) I guess it's my payback for laughing at their lillies. (grin)

And their two dogs (with my dog too) go for "walks" through it biting at my sprinklers. (grin)

Yep - dainty wouldn't make it here in "disturbia" (grin)

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Mike: Have sent you e-mail thru GW. Please let me know if you get it. Most of the time it doesn't seem to work! Gloria

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Gloria

Got it & also replied x2! :)

Mike

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Mike - you've got mail.

• canadiandaturavirgin
    15 years ago

New here in Alberta with two beautiful, double yellow Daturas (very skinny stems, though and lots of large yellow leaves). I planted them in one 15" pot on a 10" stand w/ivy drapping down sides of pot.
    I've been pulling the limp and/or brown flower off, some all the way and others just pinched back about 2". Did I blow it on eventually getting any seed pods? Anyone else in Zones 3 to 4 (we sucessfully grown apple and pear trees plus have had return for the last 5 years with lots of fruit for jam, a Valiant Grape). Winters have certainly tamed down to not as cold or as much snow in Alberta since we moved from So. Calif. in 1975.
    Please help, I'm very anxious to get seed pods and see if I can sprout them for next season for in more pots or in the ground. Plus, to you place a bit of bone-meal or peat moss, maybe, root booster or WHAT.
    Thanks for any and all feed back...........Bobbie